The Student Room Group

lkijuhygtfrde

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LadyEcliptic
Unfortunately, I missed out on my Chemistry, getting a C (few marks off a B, grrrr!!) The other 2 I got A's, so thankfully that lessens the load of work!
I am taking a gap year, and repeating those exams. It means I have more time aside for revision, as due to personal circumstances, (that no one knows about!) my chemistry was seriously affected (Sounds strange that I got 2 A's, but things like that happen...!)
A lot of them have policies on resits, some don't, so I would also contact Universities to see what they say. by all means, repeat, if you know you can do yourself justice and bring those marks up, go for it!
You have many options. I would talk to someone firstly to relieve some of that pent up emotions, plus your school would be in a better position to help. You don't have to, as I know it can be hard to tell people things!
You can always repeat the year. I did all my AS resits with my A2 exams, which wasn't a good idea as my Chemistry suffered a lot, but bear in mind some boards are not doing January exams, which would mean extra work in June!
You do have some pretty good grades here, so it shouldn't be hard to get them to what you want! I would see if you can get a mentor, I got one and she helped me go over things I didn't understand, but more importantly, help me find my best revision strategy, give me a good revision timetable to balance my exams and revision. Also, give yourself plenty (but not many) breaks. Isn't it the brain can only work from 15 to 30 minute bursts then you take a quick break? (Sorry, not really remembering at the moment!!)

Don't be so hard on yourself. Be positive (the whole, Universe is on the same frequency as your mind, cosmic ordering and such lol)! I don't know if this has helped any, but hopefully it will spark a few ideas :smile:

What course are you applying for? i got BBB and am also taking a gap year top resit modules in similar subjects to you (maths chem biol) . i might be applying for chem engineering btw and this is just out of interest this question is if you dont mind me asking :smile:
Reply 21
I would drop psychology and pick up mathematics, further mathematics and further (additional) mathematics

But seriously I'd retake all the exams I got below a B in
Original post by student gamer
What course are you applying for? i got BBB and am also taking a gap year top resit modules in similar subjects to you (maths chem biol) . i might be applying for chem engineering btw and this is just out of interest this question is if you dont mind me asking :smile:

Being the crazy and animal loving individual I am, Vet Med. I'd be crazy to keep on pursing it with the grades I have in Chemistry, but idk... It's my dream career and I'm not going to be swayed that easily! So hopefully, I'm just going to repeat 4 papers... What board do you do Chemistry with? Well done on the B in Chemistry, and for that matter, Biology and maths!! They are really tough subjects!!
Being the crazy and animal loving individual I am, Vet Med. I'd be crazy to keep on pursing it with the grades I have in Chemistry, but idk... It's my dream career and I'm not going to be swayed that easily! So hopefully, I'm just going to repeat 4 papers... What board do you do Chemistry with? Well done on the B in Chemistry, and for that matter, Biology and maths!! They are really tough subjects!!

i do chemistry with AQA. i was actually predicted 3As and was on AAB going into the final exams then screwed up my modules in june with DDB ;/ . i did maths with edexcel and biology with aqa if you were wondering as well
My friend got rejected from Exeter and Southampton when she got ACC (Photography, Psychology and Philosophy - different subjects granted) but got into clearing in UWE Bristol.
i do chemistry with AQA. i was actually predicted 3As and was on AAB going into the final exams then screwed up my modules in june with DDB ;/ . i did maths with edexcel and biology with aqa if you were wondering as well

Aw no :frown: Yeah, I was on a B and predicted 3 A's but... Chemistry... Eugh... I did maths edexcel, but I do CCEA Biology and Chemistry (it really sucks... Though, after doing AQA questions for Biology, it is a pretty hard board!) I screwed up my A2 papers... and went down in my as 1, I suppose it'll be easier now with only chemistry to revise for... So what are you hoping to do?
Original post by lovex
My grades are ACC (A in Biology and C's in Chemistry and Physics). The C's were a few UMS from B's. I'm also going to be doing A2 Psychology this year which I got a B in at AS.

I want to resit at least one module of both chemistry and physics to try and get ABB plus whatever grade I get in psychology.

If you were in my position, what would you do? Also what universities should I apply to?

I was in your position, I was predicted AAA and had a royal cock-up during an exam. On another the whole year seemed to be under marked, but as it was A2 few people bothered refuting it and taking the issue to the exam board.

I retook both the C grades, applied for a few Russell Groups, attained AAB and I'm now at King's College London.

Don't get disheartened! If you think you can achieve higher grades (for whatever reason - if you had a bad exam, didn't revise enough, or as you say 'personal issues' etc) then go for it. It will massively help if you get your tutors from college to confirm your previously predicted grades (if they were better) along with your UCAS application.

Good luck!
Aw no :frown: Yeah, I was on a B and predicted 3 A's but... Chemistry... Eugh... I did maths edexcel, but I do CCEA Biology and Chemistry (it really sucks... Though, after doing AQA questions for Biology, it is a pretty hard board!) I screwed up my A2 papers... and went down in my as 1, I suppose it'll be easier now with only chemistry to revise for... So what are you hoping to do?

I'm hoping to do chemical engineering hopefully, I'm planning on retaking a few units and getting it up to at least AAB to get into some of the top unis and i have an A in As physics :smile:. I was planning on taking a gap year anyway and didn't apply to uni this year so the situation isn't really that bad since it just means ill be doing a bit more studying than i planned during my year off education :smile:
If you cant get predicted grades you want, resit the exams during your A2 take a gap year and then apply to unis.
I'm hoping to do chemical engineering hopefully, I'm planning on retaking a few units and getting it up to at least AAB to get into some of the top unis and i have an A in As physics :smile:. I was planning on taking a gap year anyway and didn't apply to uni this year so the situation isn't really that bad since it just means ill be doing a bit more studying than i planned during my year off education :smile:

Yeah, I kind of wish that:
A ) I didn't apply first time and
B ) I Could do maths! I have it at a C at AS, and would love to be able to do it, along with Physics (brilliant mark by the way!!) but I panic in maths exams then informations gets all tangled up in my head... so..

I am retaking 4 units, hopefully it's enough to boost it to an A...
Gap years are great, but such a pain to plan everything :frown: But it'll be good!

Good luck getting into Chemical Engineering, you'll have no bother getting in :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending