The Student Room Group

how much are you spending on stuff needed for uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bubble_10
Ahh.. Maybe you're just buying things that you wont use lol.. I brought loads of unused items when I started haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omgsh what doesn't get used?!
Reply 21
Why aren't people just taking things from home? things like toiletries sheets and kitchen utensils can easily be taken and will save a lot of money otherwise if youre on a budget try charity shops for kitchen utensils will probably get them for next to nothing, but i dont see why considering you wont be living at home anymore why your family will miss the missing few mugs!
Reply 22
Original post by thegodofgod
Just listing some things:
toothbrush
toothpaste
mouthwash
shaving foam
razor
razor blades
aftershave
deodorant
lots more stuff - and I'm a guy lol!

How do you not have all those things already?
Original post by DanP4
Why aren't people just taking things from home? things like toiletries sheets and kitchen utensils can easily be taken and will save a lot of money otherwise if youre on a budget try charity shops for kitchen utensils will probably get them for next to nothing, but i dont see why considering you wont be living at home anymore why your family will miss the missing few mugs!

My family is small, we tend to buy what we NEED (minus food shopping - then it's crazy), so every little thing matters. I can't just take anything.. So 70% of everything I'm taking to uni will be new.
Original post by CodeJack
£50 seems a bit much for it? What course are you doing?

£50 is never enough for stationary.

I <3 Rymans

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smartieslover
Wow,
Are you living catered or self-catered?
Cutlery,
Kitchen stuff,
Drying Rack,
Laundry Basket
Bedsheets
Mini Fridge
Anti Surge Extension leads..
Bin
Sandwich maker

Etc.

AGREED !!!

If I were you I would not get a sandwich maker until at least you move in, as either there might be already one in the kitchen or someone else is bringing one along.

(We had sandwich makers in our halls)
Reply 26
its gonna cost me like 2000squid if you include a laptop, bloody hell Im gonna be broke.
Reply 27
Remember a TV licence if you want to watch live TV in your room (even if it's on the PC).

If you unplug your laptop while watching live TV it may be covered on your parents licence (which is a wierd exception).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by PotterLaw
Yeah but if you're in self catered halls you'll have to buy cookware & cutlery etc. Can mount up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, do they provide microwave, pans and the like in self catered halls? I know we have to take out own cutlery. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I spent well over £300. For your kitchen, you need anything that's not an appliance, plus maybe a toaster, sandwich maker and a blender. Appliances you can sort out when you're there because you don't need 6 toasters :smile:.

I don't know why everyone thinks that taking things from home is an option for everything? I took beach towels that aren't used, and the suitcases because my parents said they'd buy new ones. But I'm not going to take their knives and forks?! I'd recommend buying a double duvet and bedding, because the likelihood is that during your second year you'll end up with a double bed (unless you stay in Halls). That way you don't need to get a new duvet for second year, and only need to get new bedding if you want it. Luckily I'm taking my duvet from home this year and leaving my single duvet and sheet at home for my parents to bring up for me when they come to stay. So I just have to buy new bed sheets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I made this checklist a while ago, I've nearly bought all of it but most of the kitchen stuff I'm taking from my own home. I don't actually know the cost of all the things I've bought though.

Here it is :smile:
Mine's up to about £250 now, not including books and stationary and course related things. But I'm thinking at least buying it all new means i have it when I go to leave university and I'm out on my own!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Crawflowr
Remember a TV licence if you want to watch live TV in your room (even if it's on the PC).

If you unplug your laptop while watching live TV it may be covered on your parents licence (which is a wierd exception).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never had to buy one because it was covered by my halls.

So for everyone else, make sure you check your individual hall :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tackla
Hi, do they provide microwave, pans and the like in self catered halls? I know we have to take out own cutlery. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check with your halls. Some do & some don't! Usually the majority will have a microwave, hob/oven and kettle. For the ones at my Uni you had to bring all crockery & pots and pans.
People usually set up a fb group when they find out what flat they are in - so they can coordinate cookware!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naami
Clothes & accessories: £100 -- I don't actually own a lot of clothes, I tend to borrow a lot from my sisters
Hair straightener & dryer: £45
Stationary: £50
Bed & pillow covers: £15
Kitchen utensils & equipment: £30 -- will be nicking one or two things from my kitchen :ninja:
Toiletries: £30
Basic food shop (the non-perishables): £35
Decoration for my room: £20
Headphones & USB: £30

Total: £355 :eek: !! I probably won't spend that much -- gonna take as much as I can from home. I'll be financing most of it though my Dad & sis might chip in for stationary/food shop.

And don't forget actual pillows and a duvet!
I started buying things in March, when I decided I wanted to go to Uni, so I actually spread the cost a lot doing that as opposed to doing one huge shop in August. I am not sure how much I have spent, I bought things from places like Argos (towels) eBay (pans, utensils, tea towels, sheets, duvet cover, mattress protector) Amazon (knives, books, stationary, lamp shade) Wilkinsons (alarm clock, baking tray, cork board, push pins, silicone oven mitt) Co-op (storage baskets, salt and pepper shakers, egg timer, waste paper bin) The Works (stationary, folding storage boxes, games) and Superdrug/Boots (toiletries) using special offers, like where you get x amount of loyalty card points when you spend money on y. Superdrug had a massive clearance thing a couple of years ago, where a lot of end of line products went really cheap, 30p for a bottle of shampoo, or 10p shower gels, so I stocked up then, and still had loads of stuff in the shed to pick from haha. I also got a laundry basket, full set of (REALLY good quality) cutlery, a coffee machine with filter papers, plates, bowls, mugs and a fleecy throw off Freecycle, for nothing.

It's worth checking out car boot/yard/garage/table top/jumble sales for things like household stuff- you can often pick it up for pennies, especially as it's coming to the end of the car boot season (they usually only run them until the end of August when the weather is a bit better)

It's also worth signing up to your local Freecycle, people post things they have got to give away, and if you want it, you simply send them a message explaining why you want it, and if they choose you, you go to pick said item/s up at a mutually agreed time.

Also, try moneysavingexpert.com's "Grabbit" forum- if someone has found a particularly good deal somewhere, be that huge reductions on popular items, a sale on an obscure website, a 'glitch' instore (usually where a three-for-two and a BOGOF are both working simultaneously on a product, resulting in said items costing pence each) or the aforementioned Superdrug clear out, they will post it so others can take advantage of it too.

If anyone is curious as to what I am packing, and how much it cost me, feel free to ask, and I will do an itemised list :3
Original post by Crawflowr

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read about this, but how on earth does anyone regulate whether a laptop is plugged in or not?
I went to IKEA on Friday and bought most of the things on my Excel Spreadsheet for Uni. Cost me around £70 in the end.
I just need to buy some computer stuff, posters and stationary now! :smile:
Also scored a BRAND NEW toaster from my nan that she's never used! :colone:
Reply 38
Original post by FilmNerd1989
I started buying things in March, when I decided I wanted to go to Uni, so I actually spread the cost a lot doing that as opposed to doing one huge shop in August. I am not sure how much I have spent, I bought things from places like Argos (towels) eBay (pans, utensils, tea towels, sheets, duvet cover, mattress protector) Amazon (knives, books, stationary, lamp shade) Wilkinsons (alarm clock, baking tray, cork board, push pins, silicone oven mitt) Co-op (storage baskets, salt and pepper shakers, egg timer, waste paper bin) The Works (stationary, folding storage boxes, games) and Superdrug/Boots (toiletries) using special offers, like where you get x amount of loyalty card points when you spend money on y. Superdrug had a massive clearance thing a couple of years ago, where a lot of end of line products went really cheap, 30p for a bottle of shampoo, or 10p shower gels, so I stocked up then, and still had loads of stuff in the shed to pick from haha. I also got a laundry basket, full set of (REALLY good quality) cutlery, a coffee machine with filter papers, plates, bowls, mugs and a fleecy throw off Freecycle, for nothing.

It's worth checking out car boot/yard/garage/table top/jumble sales for things like household stuff- you can often pick it up for pennies, especially as it's coming to the end of the car boot season (they usually only run them until the end of August when the weather is a bit better)

It's also worth signing up to your local Freecycle, people post things they have got to give away, and if you want it, you simply send them a message explaining why you want it, and if they choose you, you go to pick said item/s up at a mutually agreed time.

Also, try moneysavingexpert.com's "Grabbit" forum- if someone has found a particularly good deal somewhere, be that huge reductions on popular items, a sale on an obscure website, a 'glitch' instore (usually where a three-for-two and a BOGOF are both working simultaneously on a product, resulting in said items costing pence each) or the aforementioned Superdrug clear out, they will post it so others can take advantage of it too.

If anyone is curious as to what I am packing, and how much it cost me, feel free to ask, and I will do an itemised list :3

Wow I have to say that your technique was very clever indeed. But the thing is for most of us we felt it was safer to buy things after results day because then we were sure of where we were actually going and whether or not we were going to uni. How many suitcases did you end up packing/take with you?
Reply 39
Original post by HibbsicleBean19
I went to IKEA on Friday and bought most of the things on my Excel Spreadsheet for Uni. Cost me around £70 in the end.
I just need to buy some computer stuff, posters and stationary now! :smile:
Also scored a BRAND NEW toaster from my nan that she's never used! :colone:

Are you serious? Only 70 pounds? What exactly did you buy? Was it mostly kitchen items/stuff for your bedroom??? I'm keen to know because I know that after going to Ikea on Friday, I'll probably be spending more than that :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending