The Student Room Group

how much are you spending on stuff needed for uni?

its all in the question..
I'm spending a bomb and wondering if there was something wrong with me..

Excluding my stupid Laptop, stuff is amounting to £300+
Help? :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nothing. Except accommodation, obviously. Are you spending on course related things, because besides that I have no idea what I would buy.
Reply 2
Original post by randomnam
Nothing. Except accommodation, obviously. Are you spending on course related things, because besides that I have no idea what I would buy.

Yeah but if you're in self catered halls you'll have to buy cookware & cutlery etc. Can mount up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
£0

Wow,
Are you living catered or self-catered?
Cutlery,
Kitchen stuff,
Drying Rack,
Laundry Basket
Bedsheets
Mini Fridge
Anti Surge Extension leads..
Bin
Sandwich maker

Etc.

Original post by PotterLaw
Yeah but if you're in self catered halls you'll have to buy cookware & cutlery etc. Can mount up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

AGREED !!!
Original post by shahbaz
£0

How? :confused:
Reply 6
Clothes & accessories: £100 -- I don't actually own a lot of clothes, I tend to borrow a lot from my sisters
Hair straightener & dryer: £45
Stationary: £50
Bed & pillow covers: £15
Kitchen utensils & equipment: £30 -- will be nicking one or two things from my kitchen :ninja:
Toiletries: £30
Basic food shop (the non-perishables): £35
Decoration for my room: £20
Headphones & USB: £30

Total: £355 :eek: !! I probably won't spend that much -- gonna take as much as I can from home. I'll be financing most of it though my Dad & sis might chip in for stationary/food shop.
Original post by Naami
Clothes & accessories: £100 -- I don't actually own a lot of clothes, I tend to borrow a lot from my sisters
Kitchen utensils & equipment: £30 -- will be nicking one or two things from my kitchen :ninja:

Total: £355 :eek: !! I probably won't spend that much -- gonna take as much as I can from home. I'll be financing most of it though my Dad & sis might chip in for stationary/food shop.

So its not just me!

I haven't even added course stuff to the list yet :/
Reply 8
Original post by smartieslover
So its not just me!

I haven't even added course stuff to the list yet :/

I know, a lot of people think I'm spending way too much money but when I list it all out like that then they're like "ohh" -- I mean you are moving to a whole new place and you need stuff for your studies! Thankfully all my course books are free :h: What is your list looking like? It seems like I spend like an hour a day just staring at my excel spreadsheet of things I need to buy :tongue:
Original post by Naami
I know, a lot of people think I'm spending way too much money but when I list it all out like that then they're like "ohh" -- I mean you are moving to a whole new place and you need stuff for your studies! Thankfully all my course books are free :h: What is your list looking like? It seems like I spend like an hour a day just staring at my excel spreadsheet of things I need to buy :tongue:

Precisely!
You're lucky! I'm doing architecture, and I'm gonna need all the equipment + a couple books of inspiration. I looked at the kit alone, and it costs close to £300 :frown: I don't know how I'm gonna afford it. On top of that there is the cost of the accommodation deposit, and I need a laptop because I don't have one, and my course definitely requires one. :/
Haha, same.. with me there's list after list, after list. :smile: :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by Naami

Do you mind sharing that spreadsheet of things to buy? I'd just like ideas
And wow over £300 I can't help but think you guys aren't very good at grabbing bargains haha
Reply 11
Wow,
Are you living catered or self-catered?
Cutlery,
Kitchen stuff,
Drying Rack,
Laundry Basket
Bedsheets
Mini Fridge
Anti Surge Extension leads..
Bin
Sandwich maker

Etc.

Yeah true, I'm self-catered but I'll probably "borrow" some of the most essential cutlery from my mum, hehe. And I already have bedsheets etc. Also you're buying a mini-fridge? Fancy as hell man! :P
Yeah true, I'm self-catered but I'll probably "borrow" some of the most essential cutlery from my mum, hehe. And I already have bedsheets etc. Also you're buying a mini-fridge? Fancy as hell man! :P

Haha! I'm tempted to just take some stuff from home but I'm scared I'll take something they'll randomly need! :redface:
Yes but when you visit home you'll probably need those bedsheets! I think I'm just being a girl about everything% ha! I'm not being fancy, I'm protecting my cravendale milk C:
Hey!

Sounds like some of you are going overboard lol.. Instead of buying everythings new, why not take items from home? I got a singlr duvet cover with 2 pillow cases from Ikea for £3!!! Don't buy super expensive things. Also try not to buy everything from Ikea (which a lot of students do) because although they are pretty reasonable you can find cheaper alternatives elsewhere (ie. Wilkinson, supermarkets etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
a stupid amount o.o

Mum's in her element - she's wanted an excuse to raid TK Maxx and BHS for stuff for years. Insisting I take as many colours as possible, it looks like a Crayola accident. AND she's buying me all the novelty stuff - I have cow shaped egg cups, a potato shaped potato peeler and a skeleton washing-up brush...

LUCKILY I'm the first in my family to go to uni so everyones chipping in money/stuff they don't need. Managed to score a free blender :biggrin:

it's looking at between £300 and £400 atm, before course stuff =/

Spoiler

Original post by Bubble_10
Hey!

Sounds like some of you are going overboard lol.. Instead of buying everythings new, why not take items from home? I got a singlr duvet cover with 2 pillow cases from Ikea for £3!!! Don't buy super expensive things. Also try not to buy everything from Ikea (which a lot of students do) because although they are pretty reasonable you can find cheaper alternatives elsewhere (ie. Wilkinson, supermarkets etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really trying but everything keeps adding up! I'm taking my spare duvet from home! And a couple other things but it's still expensive :frown:

Original post by Rosasaurr
a stupid amount o.o

Mum's in her element - she's wanted an excuse to raid TK Maxx and BHS for stuff for years. Insisting I take as many colours as possible, it looks like a Crayola accident. AND she's buying me all the novelty stuff - I have cow shaped egg cups, a potato shaped potato peeler and a skeleton washing-up brush...

LUCKILY I'm the first in my family to go to uni so everyones chipping in money/stuff they don't need. Managed to score a free blender :biggrin:

it's looking at between £300 and £400 atm, before course stuff =/

Spoiler

Haha! That's just amusing, my mum wants my stuff to colour coordinate, after seeing the price grow for all blue + pink.. I screwed that plan up lol!

Nice one on the blender! But ffs, I've forgotten to add that to the list :L

I guess the cost of uni is varying for everyone.. Interesting!
I'm really trying but everything keeps adding up! I'm taking my spare duvet from home! And a couple other things but it's still expensive :frown:

Ahh.. Maybe you're just buying things that you wont use lol.. I brought loads of unused items when I started haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Naami

£50 seems a bit much for it? What course are you doing?
Reply 18
Yeah, also toiletries - £30. I mean what do you need besides TP, shampoo and conditioner and other hygiene items, no way it adds up to 30 quid!?
Yeah, also toiletries - £30. I mean what do you need besides TP, shampoo and conditioner and other hygiene items, no way it adds up to 30 quid!?

Just listing some things:
toothbrush
toothpaste
mouthwash
shaving foam
razor
razor blades
aftershave
deodorant
lots more stuff - and I'm a guy lol!

Quick Reply

Latest