The Student Room Group

Do I Stand A Chance Of Getting Into A Russell Group Uni?

I got ABBB(B-general studies) at AS. I obviously don't mean the very top universities like Cambridge, would I stand a chance at receiving an offer where the requirements are AAB, from a university like Sheffield?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Get AAB then yeah, you would ah :smile:
Reply 2
As the above poster said, it's definitely possible. Get AAB or more; so resit two exams. Good luck.
Yes, most definitely, I heard Manchester may often take ABB despite offering AAB, I'm sure many RG unis offer AAB though and you're certainly capable of achieving that :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JamesLFC
Get AAB then yeah, you would ah :smile:

I have ABB at the moment though, so do you think they would give me an offer if lots of other people with better grades are applying too?
Reply 5
Original post by tinhat
I have ABB at the moment though, so do you think they would give me an offer if lots of other people with better grades are applying too?

It's not just about grades, it's about your personal statement too. If you show potential in your PS, and you're re-sitting, then you would stand the chance of an offer. At the end of the day, you have 5 choices with UCAS, why not make one of them a RG uni, its worth taking the risk to reap the reward in the end.
Reply 6
would I have the chance to get an offer for dentistry even though I will be repeating my AS-level, I got BBBC when I needed AAAB for Kings, Queen Mary's etc please help xo
Reply 7
Original post by hr30
It's not just about grades, it's about your personal statement too. If you show potential in your PS, and you're re-sitting, then you would stand the chance of an offer. At the end of the day, you have 5 choices with UCAS, why not make one of them a RG uni, its worth taking the risk to reap the reward in the end.

Good point, even if they reject me I will still hopefully have four other offers if all goes well. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by tinhat
Good point, even if they reject me I will still hopefully have four other offers if all goes well. :smile:

Exactly. I have a friend who was predicted BBC, and is at Warwick University studying Chemistry. He shone at interview and they made him an offer, even though his predicted grades were lower than they needed to be.

It will always be about the person applying, and the individual case, so there is no harm in trying!
Original post by tinhat
I got ABBB(B-general studies) at AS. I obviously don't mean the very top universities like Cambridge, would I stand a chance at receiving an offer where the requirements are AAB, from a university like Sheffield?

Youve almost got a 100% chance of russel group with those grades
Reply 10
Of course. I got BCDE in AS and applied for 3 AAB-ABB courses and got offers in all (Southampton, Liverpool & Queen Mary's). Got ABD in my A2 results and got accepted into one of them :smile:...I know people who got into AAB courses with BCC even.
I got BCCC at AS, and got offers from the 2 Russell group universities that I applied to, Exeter and Warwick.
Exeter typical offer (for my course): AAB-ABB
My offer: ABB
Warwick typical offer (for my course): AAB
My offer ABB

I made it clear when applying that I was retaking a lot of modules, and only left the ones I wasn't retaking on the UCAS form, I left the retakes as 'to be completed' or whatever phrase it used.

I'm going to Exeter in September!
Reply 12
Original post by rakusmaximus
I got BCCC at AS, and got offers from the 2 Russell group universities that I applied to, Exeter and Warwick.
Exeter typical offer (for my course): AAB-ABB
My offer: ABB
Warwick typical offer (for my course): AAB
My offer ABB

I made it clear when applying that I was retaking a lot of modules, and only left the ones I wasn't retaking on the UCAS form, I left the retakes as 'to be completed' or whatever phrase it used.

I'm going to Exeter in September!

Original post by Will Leahy
Of course. I got BCDE in AS and applied for 3 AAB-ABB courses and got offers in all (Southampton, Liverpool & Queen Mary's). Got ABD in my A2 results and got accepted into one of them :smile:...I know people who got into AAB courses with BCC even.

Original post by Dominic101
Youve almost got a 100% chance of russel group with those grades

You all have no idea how much better your replies have made me feel, thank you! :biggrin:
So long as you have predicted grades that are equal to or better than the grades that they are asking for, then yes, you do :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by tinhat

I got BBBB at AS, and was predicted AAB for A2, and I got 4/5 offers which were all from RG unis (rejected from Warwick), and I'm at Sheffield now so you'll be fine there :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Airfairy
I got BBBB at AS, and was predicted AAB for A2, and I got 4/5 offers which were all from RG unis (rejected from Warwick), and I'm at Sheffield now so you'll be fine there :smile:

Great! What course are you doing?
Reply 16
I got BBBD at AS, and got offers to study law at Sheffield (predicted A2 grades were AABB). Then I got BBBC at A2 (had an ABB offer) and was still accepted onto my course at Sheffield this year. So yeah you should be fine.
Original post by tinhat

if your predictions are AAB or better then there is every chance
Reply 18
I cannot really guarantee that AAB universities would give you an offer. Depends on the PS.
Original post by tinhat

It depends a lot whether you work or not. I, for example, got ABBCC and finished with A*AA. My advice is get the offer, then ask the universities whether your offer would change if you dropped the subjects that won't help you to meet your offer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending