The Student Room Group

Do I Stand A Chance Of Getting Into A Russell Group Uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tinhat
I got ABBB(B-general studies) at AS. I obviously don't mean the very top universities like Cambridge, would I stand a chance at receiving an offer where the requirements are AAB, from a university like Sheffield?

Drop General studies, i think most RG's don't even consider it!
Reply 21
Original post by ih094
Drop General studies, i think most RG's don't even consider it!

I know, but it doesn't take up any of time except from when I'm in the exams, and it can't hurt to have an extra qualification, right?
Reply 22
Original post by tinhat
Great! What course are you doing?

Politics :smile: What are you thinking of studying?
Reply 23
Original post by tinhat
I know, but it doesn't take up any of time except from when I'm in the exams, and it can't hurt to have an extra qualification, right?

Well if it doesn't really matter, then spend that time on focusing on your main 3 and gaining experience
Original post by hr30
It's not just about grades, it's about your personal statement too. If you show potential in your PS, and you're re-sitting, then you would stand the chance of an offer. At the end of the day, you have 5 choices with UCAS, why not make one of them a RG uni, its worth taking the risk to reap the reward in the end.

Idiotic advice. Most russell group unis (bar Oxbridge Durham and UCL) have centralised admissions, so your personal statement is not looked at at all (despite what they tell you)
Original post by SS19ovoxo
would I have the chance to get an offer for dentistry even though I will be repeating my AS-level, I got BBBC when I needed AAAB for Kings, Queen Mary's etc please help xo

yes, you do.
Advice - have a look at where a university ranks for your subject, don't concentrate on 'Russel Group'. Russel Group status has little to do with the life of an undergraduate, it's about research. In fact when QM gained RG status, they started laying off excellent teaching staff because their research wasn't very exciting, and hiring AWFUL teaching staff that had promising research, but that means nothing to the students in the lecture hall. Just a word of warning!
Reply 27
For any RG then BBC even would get you in
Reply 28
My gf got ABBB, offer from LSE for accountancy. Offer was AAA and now she's a Newcastle having achieved AAB, so you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Airfairy
Politics :smile: What are you thinking of studying?

The same haha!! At the Sheffield open day they said it was the best politics department in the country, which is why I was so worried about not getting an offer :redface:
Original post by tinhat

Correct, and whilst it might not be included in your offer, if you get B grades then it can tip you into the uncapped ABB+ bracket. This means that if you miss your grades on results day, then you are more likely to be let in anyway.

Original post by Zenomorph
For any RG then BBC even would get you in

No, unless you don't care what subject you do - there may be one or two courses that you can Getty on with BBC but that's of very little use to the vast majority of applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got BBBD at AS. with predicted BBB at A2

I applied for 2 of them, QMUL and Exeter. Got conditional offers from both.

Just write a good statement.

I didn't mention anything about my grades or my aim to improve my grades in my statement. I feel like it's implied if you're applying for a course with higher entry requirements. I just wrote about the subject and why I wanted to study it and what extracurricular activities I do relating to the subject.
Reply 32
Original post by tinhat
The same haha!! At the Sheffield open day they said it was the best politics department in the country, which is why I was so worried about not getting an offer :redface:

Ah very good :biggrin:

Yeah, when I applied I didn't know about it's reputation for politics, I basically just looked at a league table and picked the best five I could get into for my grades (not advisable haha). When I found out I was worried about getting my offer, but I got one and went to visit and loved the place so it was pretty good.

I don't think you'll have trouble getting an offer as long as you are predicted AAB. I don't know what other people got but they do give offers to BTEC students too, so you would think you'd be fine with AAB predictions. I didn't have any work exp or anything like that either btw so I wasn't an amazing applicant!
Reply 33
You could apply post A2 if you push it up sufficiently.
I got ABCC at AS, got offers from Exeter(AAB), Surrey(AAB) and Cardiff(BBB).
Got ABB at A2 and I'm going to Cardiff to study Sociology. It's definitely do-able :smile:
Reply 35
http://sites.cardiff.ac.uk/clearing/vacancies/

European Studies French/German/Italian/Spanish in Joint Honours (with another language) Course info BCC B in a Language /AS points or equivalent may be considered

European Studies French/German/Italian/Spanish/Translation Course info BCCB in a Language /AS points or equivalent may be considered

History, Archaeology and Religion Archaeology Course info BCC

http://www.liv.ac.uk/Clearing-2013/clearing/searchtitleB.htm

http://www.liv.ac.uk/Clearing-2013/clearing/searchtitleB.htm

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/clearing-adjustment/international.aspx

Just a sample of the courses available at RG2 unis, list is by no means exhaustive and for many courses the lowered grades are not revealed (to save face perhaps ?).

Since this is just basic information I will not be replying to this as there's no real need to for further discussion.
Reply 36
Original post by DenchKing1832
Idiotic advice. Most russell group unis (bar Oxbridge Durham and UCL) have centralised admissions, so your personal statement is not looked at at all (despite what they tell you)

I take exception to that. I applied to 5 Russell group universities in 2011 with straight As, over 90 UMS, at AS and straight A* predictions, as did 4 other friends in my year. If admissions are centralised, and your personal statement is not looked at, how do you explain that?
Reply 37
I got ABBB at AS and still got offers from imperial, Sheffield and bristol (rejected by Durham). High GCSE grades will definitely give you a better chance as will an excellent reference. So don't be put off but do try to be realistic and choose places with realistic grade requirements!!
Reply 38
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
yes, you do.

yay thank you
Original post by SS19ovoxo
yay thank you

haha no worries :smile: you'll find that most unis put emphasis on PREDICTED grades rather than AS grades. Even then, your grades are pretty good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending