The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants for 2014 Entry

Hi everyone,

Just thought I should make one of these as I haven't seen one for St A yet! (Apologies if there is one!)

I want to apply for BSc Geography and my AS Levels were in Geography, Maths, Biology and Music. I think St Andrews might be my 2nd or 3rd choice :smile:

Looking forward to hearing from other applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, this makes me feel old :tongue:

What's your first choice? :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hello :smile:

I am going to apply for International Relations :smile: St Andrews is definitely my first choice! Anyone else applying for IR?
Reply 3
Original post by Ecosse_14

OKay another question lol, I only have the grades to get into Glasgow Caledonian and Edinburgh Napier what other uni's should i apply to that i could possibly have a chance to get into to do finance with 2 B's and 2 C's ( possibly 3 B's).

Napier and cale are 2B's and 2 C's whereas almost every other uni is at the very least A and 3 B's
Reply 4
Original post by Johnm75
OKay another question lol, I only have the grades to get into Glasgow Caledonian and Edinburgh Napier what other uni's should i apply to that i could possibly have a chance to get into to do finance with 2 B's and 2 C's ( possibly 3 B's).

Napier and cale are 2B's and 2 C's whereas almost every other uni is at the very least A and 3 B's

Have you not just answered your own question there? :tongue: If Cale and Napier are the only 2 that are coming up in your research then that's that. Just make sure you've done your proper research and looked at all of the available universities.

No idea why you're asking this in the St Andrews forum though?...

Me tooooooo :'( And I haven't even started yet!
Reply 6
Original post by Calllu-m
Me tooooooo :'( And I haven't even started yet!

How can it make you feel old, you're just a baby fresher! :tongue:
How can it make you feel old, you're just a baby fresher! :tongue:

Shhhh it just does. I'm still mourning the fact I have a month of being 18 left :frown:
Reply 8
Shhhh it just does. I'm still mourning the fact I have a month of being 18 left :frown:

Fair enough, you're only 1 and a half years younger than me then!
Fair enough, you're only 1 and a half years younger than me then!

And yet you're so close to graduating.
And yet you're so close to graduating.

Don't remind me :hand: :sad:
Original post by Nannabakjensen

I am going to apply for International Relations :smile: St Andrews is definitely my first choice! Anyone else applying for IR?

Based on the usual intake, the whole of the US :P Good luck with your application :smile:

I'm a third year stats student I just like seeing people get enthusiastic about uni before it gets crushed out of them by exams and boring lectures (all of us end up sitting through a few :frown: ), I'm cynical in my old age lol
Reply 12
Original post by Nannabakjensen

I'm applying for IR too :^_^:
At the moment I have a joint first choice of St Andrews and Edinburgh, but I'm hoping that going to the open day at Edinburgh will help me decide which uni I prefer
Reply 13
I'm planning on applying for German and Spanish. SA is either going to be my 1st or 2nd choice, I just can't decide!:s-smilie:

I don't suppose anyone here knows a fair bit about languages courses at SA, and could tell me how literature based they are? Literature isn't my strong point, and I really don't enjoy it as much as translating / interpreting / speaking aspects and this will really affect my final choices.
Reply 14
Original post by skier16
I'm planning on applying for German and Spanish. SA is either going to be my 1st or 2nd choice, I just can't decide!:s-smilie:

I don't suppose anyone here knows a fair bit about languages courses at SA, and could tell me how literature based they are? Literature isn't my strong point, and I really don't enjoy it as much as translating / interpreting / speaking aspects and this will really affect my final choices.

Well I chose to do modern languages when I took part in the summer school at St Andrews, and what I learnt there about the languages courses is that they are quite heavily literature based. You do study other cultural things like films but I wouldn't say that the courses involve a lot of translating/ interpreting. However, if you choose to do the course with an year abroad then I'm sure you would have to do the aspects which you most enjoy like speaking :smile:

Then again I'm not a student there so I could be wrong (please correct me if I am :colondollar:)
Reply 15
I'm another linguist, but I'll be applying for French and German. St Andrews will either be my first or second choice, but I must admit I'm also a little apprehensive about literature. I love reading and I like literature and analysis to a certain extent, but I'm hoping that university won't kill my enjoyment of it. However, the modules do seem quite varied, especially at Honours level.
Reply 16
Another French and German here!
I was thinking the same thing about literature, the modules you can do look quite varied though.
Reply 17
Original post by skier16

Original post by Grozdova.
I'm another linguist, but I'll be applying for French and German. St Andrews will either be my first or second choice, but I must admit I'm also a little apprehensive about literature. I love reading and I like literature and analysis to a certain extent, but I'm hoping that university won't kill my enjoyment of it. However, the modules do seem quite varied, especially at Honours level.

Original post by jcm222
Another French and German here!
I was thinking the same thing about literature, the modules you can do look quite varied though.

For first year German you spend two of the four contact hours a week doing literature (consisting of one lecture and one tutorial) and the other two hours are language work. I was quite apprehensive about doing literature too, partly as I didn't do any at A-Level, but I haven't found it too difficult. I would probably say that there isn't too much expected of you at first, and that you have a chance to settle in before any marked work on literature is required. Across the year you study six different texts, which means you spend about 3 or 4 weeks on each one. I didn't find the analysis etc. too much of a problem, but I was a little caught off guard at first at actually having to read a whole German book. Fortunately you pick it up quickly and it gets much easier.

As regards translating and interpreting, you don't get much chance to do a lot of that until honours years at St Andrews. I do remember, however, from when I went on university open days that Durham does them a lot in German.

I'm happy to answer any other questions about German, but I don't think I would be much help when it comes to other languages :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by ispyjonnytriff
For first year German you spend two of the four contact hours a week doing literature (consisting of one lecture and one tutorial) and the other two hours are language work. I was quite apprehensive about doing literature too, partly as I didn't do any at A-Level, but I haven't found it too difficult. I would probably say that there isn't too much expected of you at first, and that you have a chance to settle in before any marked work on literature is required. Across the year you study six different texts, which means you spend about 3 or 4 weeks on each one. I didn't find the analysis etc. too much of a problem, but I was a little caught off guard at first at actually having to read a whole German book. Fortunately you pick it up quickly and it gets much easier.

As regards translating and interpreting, you don't get much chance to do a lot of that until honours years at St Andrews. I do remember, however, from when I went on university open days that Durham does them a lot in German.

I'm happy to answer any other questions about German, but I don't think I would be much help when it comes to other languages :smile:

Thanks for the clarification. :smile: I'm not as worried about it now and I'm also glad that there's time to find your feet so I won't be floundering!

I think Cambridge will be my first :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest