The Student Room Group

Why is The Guardian in bed with Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Angry Stoic
There's a difference between being anti violence and pro Muslim Brotherhood. The Beotherhood is a facist organisation which has supported terrorist groups. They are anything but non violent.

I agree with the first sentence. I really don't know much about the Brotherhood if truth to be told so can't comment much after that.

I only support them in this situation because they weren't doing anything wrong by protesting at their sit ins.
I do condemn them for the church burnings I've seen tho however I've not sure whether their leadership would agree with members who carried out the attacks.
Original post by IdeasForLife
I agree with the first sentence. I really don't know much about the Brotherhood if truth to be told so can't comment much after that.

I only support them in this situation because they weren't doing anything wrong by protesting at their sit ins.
I do condemn them for the church burnings I've seen tho however I've not sure whether their leadership would agree with members who carried out the attacks.

Google and wiki are your friend. There is a myriad of reports and websites showing the works of the brotherhood.
Because the guardian is ****ing pathetic.
bump
Original post by yepyepyep
Hmm, I have only ever seen the Guardian criticising actual islamophobia and not just any opposition to the religion. Have you got any examples of them rebuking a thoughtful criticism of islam? To be fair, I wouldn't put it past them as they do seem to have a habit of contrarily going against every public opinion.

Islamophobia is a dangerous word designed to rebuke critcism not of a people but of an abstract concept.
You don't have to be pro islam to be against islamophobia.

Actually you do. There is a reason why it is "Islamohpobia" and not "Muslimophobia".
Reply 26
Have you thought there might be Guardian editors who are Muslims?
Original post by Rational Thinker
Actually you do. There is a reason why it is "Islamohpobia" and not "Muslimophobia".

You can argue the intricacies of the word all you like, but in common usage people take it to mean prejudice against Muslims. Actually, that is the definition given by wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamophobia. So when someone is talking about Islamophobia it would be safe to assume that's what they mean.
Islamophobia is a dangerous word designed to rebuke critcism not of a people but of an abstract concept.

It's not though is it, it's a word designed to describe the hatred Muslim people get as a result the actions of a few members of their religion. It's a word that's been popularised because of the amount of discrimination they receive. The focus in the media isn't on criticising an abstract concept, it's on the actions of extremist muslims. If only people could approach the religion with a critical mind that isn't polluted by media influence. We should be able to criticise religion in a rational and unbiased way, but that's seemingly too much for some people.
Reply 29
Well from all the media hate towards muslims. It decided to give us a break and actually say whats real .. not crap we see everyday. My opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can argue the intricacies of the word all you like, but in common usage people take it to mean prejudice against Muslims. Actually, that is the definition given by wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamophobia. So when someone is talking about Islamophobia it would be safe to assume that's what they mean.

In its use on TSR it is used to stop critcism of Islam. Eg when someone raises a question about the punishment of death for apostasy in Islam they are denounced as an "Islamophobe".
Original post by missfats
Well from all the media hate towards muslims. It decided to give us a break and actually say whats real .. not crap we see everyday. My opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh so when it is bias towards Islam thats "real" is it?
It's not though is it, it's a word designed to describe the hatred Muslim people get as a result the actions of a few members of their religion. It's a word that's been popularised because of the amount of discrimination they receive. The focus in the media isn't on criticising an abstract concept, it's on the actions of extremist muslims. If only people could approach the religion with a critical mind that isn't polluted by media influence. We should be able to criticise religion in a rational and unbiased way, but that's seemingly too much for some people.

I recognise the power of the Media. However it is strange that people denounce the media when it directs hatred towards Islam but not when it directs that same hatred towards Christianity or Judaism. Hypocrisy and cowardice is the cause of this. It is the same with Comedians they will satirise. Christianity, Judaism and Buddhism but never Islam because of cowardice. I do not have anything against Muslims but I find the differential treatment accorded to Islam ridiculous and frankly Orwellian.
Original post by Hannibal Lecter
I see no end of Comment is Free and other articles which take a distinctively pro-Islam stance and rebuke criticism or ridicule of Islam as an ideology as racist or Islamophobic. You never see the same articles in respect of criticism or ridicule of Christianity. More recently, they appear to be very pro-the Muslim Brotherhood in the recent drama in Egypt.

I don't want this thread to be a debate about Islam and I do believe attacking Muslims as individuals is unacceptable; however, I would be interested to know why a paper like the Guardian (pro-homosexual rights, pro-feminism, pro-rehabilitation, pro-secularism, antithetical to Sharia, and so on) is so eager to act as an apologist and defender of Islam?

I can only assume it has something to do with the phrase: 'the enemy of my enemy (right wing groups) is my friend'. Still makes the Guardian a sell out, though. What do you think?

I think the problem is that those writing for the Guardian feel some kind of obligation to just offer the exact opposite opinion of the Daily Mail or what they think would be the opinion of the Daily Mail or 'the right' instead of offering a balanced argument.

The Guardian does some brilliant work but they are far from perfect, some of the articles on CIF serve no other purpose than to wind people up about certain issues and generate huge amounts of comments. For example the number of articles about the Zimmerman-Martin case was totally unreasonable and the content of many was questionable but as it was an emotive subject article after article was churned out.

Remember all the fuss they made over tax avoidance and the subsequent revelation that they actually had a similar system in place? No one likes hypocrisy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Well the guardian may cover islam in a positive light to contrast the very wide negative image of islam in most other press (i.e. Daily Mail)
I don't think it is pro-islam; the guardian is just not trying to kill it as it takes a more liberal approach to journalism, as you would expect it .

Although there was a recent CiF piece on 'How about a British Muslim Carnival?' yesterday, the actual popular comments by guardian readers were vastly quite negative to islam / very skeptical of it. For instance the most popular comments in response to the guardian article was:

how about just having a carnival with everyone rather than splitting yourselves apart from wider society.

what will the women be allowed to wear? Will they be covered up?
A really poor article

Presumably they would be allowed to walk along at the back of the procession if they dressed modestly.

(in response to) "Muslims are a diverse group... Not all the women wear burkas, or even hijab. And many are allowed to decide what they wear."
- Comment of the year

First you have to learn how to be free. Once you have done that Carnival will come naturally.
(edited 10 years ago)
I recognise the power of the Media. However it is strange that people denounce the media when it directs hatred towards Islam but not when it directs that same hatred towards Christianity or Judaism. Hypocrisy and cowardice is the cause of this. It is the same with Comedians they will satirise. Christianity, Judaism and Buddhism but never Islam because of cowardice. I do not have anything against Muslims but I find the differential treatment accorded to Islam ridiculous and frankly Orwellian.

Be honest hatred towards jew is rare,no? Regardless treatment towards all religions should be the same.
Original post by nomadinthecity92
Be honest hatred towards jew is rare,no? Regardless treatment towards all religions should be the same.

Certainly not. In some countries such as Iran its probably sickly considered a popular activity. I agree that treatment towards religions should be the same, which is why I condemned the hypocritical appeasing of Islam at the same time that Christianity, Judaism and Buddhism are satirised. For instance look at the Big Bang theory both Judaism and Hinduism are satirised, they would not dare to it to Islam, thus hypocrisy.
Original post by Hannibal Lecter
I see no end of Comment is Free and other articles which take a distinctively pro-Islam stance and rebuke criticism or ridicule of Islam as an ideology as racist or Islamophobic. You never see the same articles in respect of criticism or ridicule of Christianity. More recently, they appear to be very pro-the Muslim Brotherhood in the recent drama in Egypt.

I don't want this thread to be a debate about Islam and I do believe attacking Muslims as individuals is unacceptable; however, I would be interested to know why a paper like the Guardian (pro-homosexual rights, pro-feminism, pro-rehabilitation, pro-secularism, antithetical to Sharia, and so on) is so eager to act as an apologist and defender of Islam?

I can only assume it has something to do with the phrase: 'the enemy of my enemy (right wing groups) is my friend'. Still makes the Guardian a sell out, though. What do you think?

The Guardian and it's readership are anti establishment. The papers normally read by those rather clever under performers who like to seek safe, secure public sector jobs. Some members of society just like to try and feel different and they'll quite happily see innocent civilians die to prove their point. What they're actual point is that because they tend to be a little cleverer than the average Sun reader what they say is .'We have no moral right to get involved in this.' What they actually mean is 'I understand that military action in Syria will have a knock on effect on global oil prices as any kind of conflict in the Middle East brings along which always depresses the global economy. That'll impact on my very middle class way of life so I'd much rather children of colour die elsewhere so I can continue to go on Holiday to Tuscany and feel superior to everybody else.'

Milton Friedman sums up my contempt for atypical Guardian Readers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wx5PYZIWcQ

They'll try and spin anything just as long as it can benefit them, and that will involve using the needy in society as cover for whatis ultimately selfish, greedy actions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Certainly not. In some countries such as Iran its probably sickly considered a popular activity. I agree that treatment towards religions should be the same, which is why I condemned the hypocritical appeasing of Islam at the same time that Christianity, Judaism and Buddhism are satirised. For instance look at the Big Bang theory both Judaism and Hinduism are satirised, they would not dare to it to Islam, thus hypocrisy.

By the big bang theory do you mean the scientific paradigm? I don't really know how Judaism and Hinduism are satirised

I think recent pro-Islam media has emerged as a result of the Islamaphobia, that many Muslims experienced in the post 9-11 world. As a user highlighted earlier this type of media tends to be liberal. Actually I think media bias toward's religious groups depends on whether they are a majority in that country. In the UK,Islam's a dominant group but in America after Israel the Jews are dominant. So you could also say that the media in the US are literally exempt from being critical of Judaism thus are pro-Jewish. In the western world especially America criticizing Israeli policies/government is very controversial and immediately labels you anti-Semitic which I think is wrong, because your not outwardly discriminating a Jew based on their religious beliefs or ethnicity. Stephen Hawking's boycotted a Israeli conference and he was judged harshly by the mainstream media. Does the man have every right to take an ethical stance and act on his belief's.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nomadinthecity92
By the big bang theory do you mean the scientific paradigm? I don't really know how Judaism and Hinduism are satirised

I think recent pro-Islam media has emerged as a result of the Islamaphobia, that many Muslims experienced in the post 9-11 world. As a user highlighted earlier this type of media tends to be liberal. Actually I think media bias toward's religious groups depends on whether they are a majority in that country. In the UK,Islam's a dominant group but in America after Israel the Jews are dominant. So you could also say that the media in the US are literally exempt from being critical of Judaism thus are pro-Jewish. In the western world especially America criticizing Israeli policies/government is very controversial and immediately labels you anti-Semitic which I think is wrong, because your not outwardly discriminating a Jew based on their religious beliefs or ethnicity. Stephen Hawking's boycotted a Israeli conference and he was judged harshly by the mainstream media. Does the man have every right to take an ethical stance and act on his belief's.

No, the television show. I dislike the term Islamophobia, and so would offer Muslimophobia as an alternative as while Muslim is a minority whereas Islam is a concep you would not have Marxophobia for a dislike of Marxism would you?. Furthermore the media being "pro-Islam" is not so innocuous as you would think, in fact it is patronising towards Muslims and treating them as if they will easily get offended, As for Israel, I think there is some severe elements of Anti Semitism disguised as critcism of Israel as in those who think Israel's should not exist, however it is also true that not all critcism of Israel and its policies is Anti Semitic. I think because Anti Semitism has such a long history and is still prolific in countries that border Israel (for instance the holocaust is not taught as part of the syllabus), people feel on guard to stop it happening again. Of course Stephen Hawking has every right to boycott any conference, however others may have misinterpreted his action.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending