The Student Room Group

Why is The Guardian in bed with Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Rational Thinker
Oh so when it is bias towards Islam thats "real" is it?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you think that propaganda = truth?
Reply 42
Original post by IdeasForLife
Can't fault them for the bold part.
Innocent protesters attacked with brute force? Any sane person wouldn't support that amount of force to clear out protesters.

and yet there is hypocracy, as there often is when you discuss political issues involving islam. Guardian was comparatively quiet in reporting of the ongoing brutality toward protestors in Bahrain 10-12 months ago. So clearly guardian has its agenda, as in fact do millions of muslims, without being genuine about it Who knows maybe Saudi is a big benefactor to Guardians bank account, I wouldn't be surprised.
No, the television show. I dislike the term Islamophobia, and so would offer Muslimophobia as an alternative as while Muslim is a minority whereas Islam is a concep you would not have Marxophobia for a dislike of Marxism would you?. Furthermore the media being "pro-Islam" is not so innocuous as you would think, in fact it is patronising towards Muslims and treating them as if they will easily get offended, As for Israel, I think there is some severe elements of Anti Semitism disguised as critcism of Israel as in those who think Israel's should not exist, however it is also true that not all critcism of Israel and its policies is Anti Semitic. I think because Anti Semitism has such a long history and is still prolific in countries that border Israel (for instance the holocaust is not taught as part of the syllabus), people feel on guard to stop it happening again. Of course Stephen Hawking has every right to boycott any conference, however others may have misinterpreted his action.

Oh lol :tongue: I haven’t watched that in ages haven't seen that element of it in the show.I actually think it’s because the main actors are Jewish and Hindu- if I’m not mistaken the directors/script writers are too. It’s often relatively easy to poke fun at your own beliefs. I'm sure if one of the actor's was Muslim he'll participate in the satirical aspect of the comedy.

Perhaps the term Islamophobia is sometimes misused, though I do think the term does have some negative connotations to it. I really don't see the difference between the two terms; doesn't 'Muslim phobia' mean you have an irrational fear of all Muslims based on a minority of radicals?

I very much agree with you, we are seen as a hypersensitive community which does get bloody annoying I guess maybe that because of the propaganda we are objected to. It's definitely the media that portrays Muslims in that light- many Muslims living in the western world are moderate.

Many views on Israel are probably accompanied with slight Antisemitism but that's expected as when a religion group is targeted most of the vocal followers will be those disguising their hatred of the religion group.Many peoples views on that matter nowadays remains mute due to the fear of being labelled an anti-Semitic. If one chooses to criticize Saudi Arabia strict policies I don't think they'll be labelled an Islamophobe.

It's sad when I see Jewish people who criticize Israel’s policy called a traitor or a self-hater. I saw a You-tube clip where American orthodox Jews were being bullied due to their humanitarian stance on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Some or maybe most Americans (I’m probably being stereotypical) are so prone to being brainwashed and are probably very much dependent on the media propaganda. They underestimate their intellectual capacity to not think and question the so-called media.
(edited 10 years ago)
I recognise the power of the Media. However it is strange that people denounce the media when it directs hatred towards Islam but not when it directs that same hatred towards Christianity or Judaism. Hypocrisy and cowardice is the cause of this. It is the same with Comedians they will satirise. Christianity, Judaism and Buddhism but never Islam because of cowardice. I do not have anything against Muslims but I find the differential treatment accorded to Islam ridiculous and frankly Orwellian.

Because the media very rarely directs the same hatred towards Christianity and Judaism. It does happen, but it doesn't create any more controversy than hatred toward Islam does.
Comedians never satirise Islam? Are you kidding? I've seen it happen loads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpAeNZNd9IE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xwPVgRaROA
^Both very popular comedians openly mocking the religion.
Also, if you want a reason why some comedians may not do this, look at Dara O Briain talking about why he doesn't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPLfv9umERU
In its use on TSR it is used to stop critcism of Islam. Eg when someone raises a question about the punishment of death for apostasy in Islam they are denounced as an "Islamophobe".

That's clearly stupid, but this discussion was about the portrayal of Islam in The Guardian and not the misuse of the word 'Islamophobia' on TSR.
Original post by nomadinthecity92
I think recent pro-Islam media has emerged as a result of the Islamaphobia, that many Muslims experienced in the post 9-11 world. As a user highlighted earlier this type of media tends to be liberal.

Precisely the contradiction. Liberal-leaning media outfits having an affinity for a deeply conservative and authoritarian ideology - does not compute.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by yepyepyep
That's clearly stupid, but this discussion was about the portrayal of Islam in The Guardian and not the misuse of the word 'Islamophobia' on TSR.

They very much link in with each other.
Original post by Hannibal Lecter
Precisely the contradiction. Liberal-leaning media outfits having an affinity for a deeply conservative and authoritarian ideology - does not compute.

You're right. I think it's just the tendency of the liberals to root for the underdog.
You're right. I think it's just the tendency of the liberals to root for the underdog.

Indeed, just bizarre how they adopt this approach blindly.
Because the media very rarely directs the same hatred towards Christianity and Judaism. It does happen, but it doesn't create any more controversy than hatred toward Islam does.

The hatred towards Christianity and Judaism is often more insidious look at the Big Bang Theory television show, Christianity, Judaism and Hinduism are publically mocked and derided and their followers potrayed as hypocrites, they would not dare do this with Islam. Even television about Islam is taboo. For instance a Historian was going to research into how accurate Islam is in its history, he received death threats and the show was cancelled. Now admit it this would never happen with Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Paganism and such.

Comedians never satirise Islam? Are you kidding? I've seen it happen loads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpAeNZNd9IE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xwPVgRaROA
^Both very popular comedians openly mocking the religion.

Note how both are off television comedy, whereas Christians and Jews are publically mocked on television. Claiming those cherry picked comedians as representative is disingenuous.

Also, if you want a reason why some comedians may not do this, look at Dara O Briain talking about why he doesn't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPLfv9umERU

That answer is clearly contrived and thee are two reasons for it. Either O Briain is arrogant enough to believe his is deeply immersed within Christianity. Or and this is the most likely answer he is afraid, oh he can claim its cultural factors but the evidence bears testament, I have not once heard of a comedian getting killed for insulting Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism, Jainism, Sikhism, but Islam we have Theo Van Gogh, South Park portrayals receiving death threats and so on. Not to mention the reaction to Innocence of Muslims (as crude and poorly made as the film was)
That answer is clearly contrived and thee are two reasons for it. Either O Briain is arrogant enough to believe his is deeply immersed within Christianity. Or and this is the most likely answer he is afraid, oh he can claim its cultural factors but the evidence bears testament, I have not once heard of a comedian getting killed for insulting Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism, Jainism, Sikhism, but Islam we have Theo Van Gogh, South Park portrayals receiving death threats and so on. Not to mention the reaction to Innocence of Muslims (as crude and poorly made as the film was)

I wouldn't be surprised if he was. Irish comedians discussing Catholicism isn't anything new. You may be right though. I'm sure there are a fair few people who wouldn't criticise Islam in the public eye out of fear. That doesn't mean they support it though.
Assuming that they could find a writer, actors and venue brave enough, I wonder what would have happened had jerry Springer the Opera been about Mohammad instead of Jesus. If it had portrayed him in a nappy singing lines like "I'm gonna sit down on this grass before you f### me up the a$$" I think it is safe to assume that Stuart Lee would have been found in the street with his throat slit and a note to Richard Thomas pinned with a dagger into his chest. I don't blame any comedian for being scared and deliberately avoiding upsetting Muslims, but they are cowards of the lowest order when they deny that they are scared. I think Nick Cohen sums up the hypocrisy of "edgy" comedians and liberals in the media better than most in this clip of 11 February 2012 One Law for All Rally for Free Expression
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lffXO_LLWo
You don't have to be pro islam to be against islamophobia.

this.

discrimination is something anyone with self respect or any kind of decency should oppose.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was. Irish comedians discussing Catholicism isn't anything new. You may be right though. I'm sure there are a fair few people who wouldn't criticise Islam in the public eye out of fear. That doesn't mean they support it though.

Its fear as other posters have mentioned, it is hypocritical not to satire Islam, when its pretty much open season on every other religion. Its discrimination nothing more nothing less. I'm glad we have got that fear is a big reason established.
Its fear as other posters have mentioned, it is hypocritical not to satire Islam, when its pretty much open season on every other religion. Its discrimination nothing more nothing less. I'm glad we have got that fear is a big reason established.

Fear is an obvious reason but more applicable to individuals in the media, which isn't what this discussion was about. Do you really think The Guardian doesn't criticise Islam out of fear? I don't.
Fear is an obvious reason but more applicable to individuals in the media, which isn't what this discussion was about. Do you really think The Guardian doesn't criticise Islam out of fear? I don't.

At least partially. Whole Newspapers have been threatened into silence by Islamist extremists.
Original post by SciFiRory
this.

discrimination is something anyone with self respect or any kind of decency should oppose.

Will gay people be permitted to marry in mosques?
Reply 58
Original post by Hannibal Lecter
I would be interested to know why a paper like the Guardian (pro-homosexual rights, pro-feminism, pro-rehabilitation, pro-secularism, antithetical to Sharia, and so on) is so eager to act as an apologist and defender of Islam?

I can only assume it has something to do with the phrase: 'the enemy of my enemy (right wing groups) is my friend'. Still makes the Guardian a sell out, though. What do you think?

It is the fall out from WW2. In the late 1940s the UN stated that the world should move past race. That race should not exist, which is impossible of course, but they since designed policies with this goal in mind.

The people that were driving this agenda were largely white, educated and left on the ideological scale. Attacking Western values/history/culture/symbols is all part of the process of amalgamating us with other groups. If we have no distinct identity what does it matter if they flood us with foreigners? Given low birth rates our extinction is guaranteed.

Never forget that mass immigration instigated by Labour was done on the sly. They publicly denied it was their intention. It was never in their manifest. You all know what happens to anyone that discusses this in the public eye. They risk their livelihood because the media will slander them mercilessly and distort any point they have. That is if the Anti-Discrimination machinery does not haul them in front of a judge.

Have you guys read the book by Ed West, The Diversity Illusion? It is a brilliant explanation of how we have ended up where we are and the horrific consequences that are now becoming clear.

The Left has a lot to answer for because they have essentially betrayed the people that voted them into power. Betrayed them in the worst possible way by threatening our very existence as distinct cultural and racial group in the world.
Reply 59
No, it is just a part of the fight between Israel and anti-Semites for thousands years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending