The Student Room Group

Why are children admitted into university in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purple_panther

Also upon university application you are expected to have completed work experience in the field you want to go into. But who is going to give a 16 /17 year old a work placement? It is incredibly difficult finding one at such a young age.

No, you aren't. Only medics (maybe dentistry and vet applicants idk), are expected to have completed relevant work experience.
Reply 21
You do realise whether you go to uni or not is up to you. It's not compulsory. If you feel that you are not sure what to do with the rest of your life or what course to choose, you can defer for a year . However, if at the age of 18 (which I think is the perfect age to make decisions) you are mature enough to decide what to do you can go to uni.
Original post by SillyEddy
If you don't know, should you really be applying? Wouldn't it make more sense to find out what you really want to do in life first? You can go to university any time, it doesn't have to be straight away.

Also, I don't think the universities really cared too much about GCSEs. Obviously they need to be decent in grade, but I don't think my subjects were ever a factor in my application. Typically it's just English and maths, and maybe 5 other A*-C grades for most universities.

Regarding work experience, that is usually not required either. I did no work experience in my field before going to uni. I think it might be different for medicine, but most people go because they liked the prospectus and not because they had real-world experience in that field. You shouldn't worry about it.

It just sounds like a classic case of unnecessarily panicking. If you don't have the grades, then try and get them. Resit GCSEs if you need to, or do more years of college if you think you'd be better off on a different course. You could even do a foundation year, or maybe not even go to university at all. You have many decades to decide what you want to do, so why rush it right this very second if you're not sure?

Well I do feel pressured into applying to uni this year like everyone else and I appreciate I don't have to if I'm not sure but I don't really want to waste a whole year or more trying to figure out what I want to do in life possibly having to take A levels again but different subjects.
And I wasn't really talking about myself with some people doing badly in exams. I actually got really good GCSEs and AS level grades that I'm proud of, it's just the subjects I picked for A level I'm not really confident with because I decided I'm not interested in going into the science industry. And picking only science-related A levels like I did restricts you in picking a university course.
Original post by Alexisonfire
This. Work in social services is the biggest waste of life I could imagine. OP is also ignoring that Germany does this purely to keep wages in the industry low, and tries to sell it by saying its an experience that will shape your life. Students in Germany also use that year mainly becasue they have no idea what they want to do, and think it looks good on the CV. Nothing to do with maturity or anything.

I believe you fail to realise that doing social work for a year isn't supposed to interest you in the field or inspire you to pursue it at university or anything... it's meant as a time to fully devote to giving back to the community, reflecting on what you've done so far and what you want to do in the future. Some people may already know what to study, for them it is a welcome time to get a first steady salary, do something good, and prepare for university. For those who don't, it provides welcome time to reflect on high school and make up their mind.

How this has anything to do with keeping industry wages low, is beyond me.
Original post by lolarose8
You do realise whether you go to uni or not is up to you. It's not compulsory. If you feel that you are not sure what to do with the rest of your life or what course to choose, you can defer for a year .

Yeah, that's gonna look great on your CV and serve you well in the application process in these competitive times...

Original post by lolarose8
However, if at the age of 18 (which I think is the perfect age to make decisions) you are mature enough to decide what to do you can go to uni.

Well, most people aren't but are pressured to rush into that decision due to the design of the system.
Reply 25
I can think of lots of people who did (in their cases) pointless Humanities or Language type courses, just because they were good at them in school without thinking the actual future through, and are now in jobs they could have got without a degree, while paying off their debts.

So maybe if they start uni at 18, they should really think it through, and have a look at what the majority of graduates from their chosen subject are up to.
Reply 26
Original post by Appeal to reason
No, you aren't. Only medics (maybe dentistry and vet applicants idk), are expected to have completed relevant work experience.

Teaching courses too, and social work.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
I believe you fail to realise that doing social work for a year isn't supposed to interest you in the field or inspire you to pursue it at university or anything... it's meant as a time to fully devote to giving back to the community, reflecting on what you've done so far and what you want to do in the future. Some people may already know what to study, for them it is a welcome time to get a first steady salary, do something good, and prepare for university. For those who don't, it provides welcome time to reflect on high school and make up their mind.

How this has anything to do with keeping industry wages low, is beyond me.

It keeps wages low, as employers in the social field can rely on young people to replace staff at a fraction of the price. Do you think these students do not replace jobs that would otherwise be taken by full employment? In addition, this practice reduces training for full-time jobs and reduces job security. Social work is the prime example in any discussion about a "niedriglohnsektor".

Also, it is fully clear to me that a year working in the community is not meant to interest people, which is why I think its ridiculous. Its taking away your freedom for one year, all under the pretence that its for the 'greater good'. Really?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Appeal to reason
Since when do people start school at 6? I started at 4. (As does everyone over here afaik)

And I started aged 3 because my birthday is in August :cool:
It keeps wages low, as employers in the social field can rely on young people to replace staff at a fraction of the price. Do you think these students do not replace jobs that would otherwise be taken by full employment?

Yes, that I think. In its latest version, social service was a little over 9 months, and most of the tasks were quite basic and rather unskilled; they do not compare to the work that social workers, who are employed full-time, would do. The type of workers which students doing their social year replace would earn hardly any more.

Social work is the prime example in any discussion about a "niedriglohnsektor".

Yep, but there's a clear distinction between the work students do in their social service and the work 'real' workers in the social field do, which often is actually hard physical work and requires lengthy training.

Its taking away your freedom for one year.

It really is disgusting how self-centered you are. Ever heard about giving back to society? Also, as I laid out in my last post, it's a valuable time to think about what you want to do with your life, even if you already have an idea. I surely did not see it as wasted time.
Yes, that I think. In its latest version, social service was a little over 9 months, and most of the tasks were quite basic and rather unskilled; they do not compare to the work that social workers, who are employed full-time, would do. The type of workers which students doing their social year replace would earn hardly any more.Yep, but there's a clear distinction between the work students do in their social service and the work 'real' workers in the social field do, which often is actually hard physical work and requires lengthy training.

Sorry, but its a well known fact. The whole point is that social work does not require much skill at all. http://www.zeit.de/wirtschaft/2010-09/gesundheitsbranche-leiharbeiter/seite-2

It really is disgusting how self-centered you are. Ever heard about giving back to society? Also, as I laid out in my last post, it's a valuable time to think about what you want to do with your life, even if you already have an idea. I surely did not see it as wasted time.

Okay, so first of all, its hardly self-centered to want to determine your own life. You know, human rights and all that.
There are other ways to give back to society than being forced to work where you do not want to. Taxes, charities, etc..
Your view also doesn't consider to what extent people will actually use social work as "valuable time to reflect" - it is an assumption you make. Who can say whether they will know better after that year what they want to do with their life?
(edited 10 years ago)
I think that the OP's points are slightly exaggerated, but I agree with the gist of it.

I don't think it's bad that young people get into education so fast. I think it's an amazing opportunity and it's very good for development of all sorts of skills that they wouldn't be able to develop otherwise.

The reality of it though is that most people don't have enough money for a SECOND CHANCE at university. If they picked the wrong course, whether it be because they dislike it or because they can't get a good job from it.. they're ****ed. They will be stuck with that degree forever with little to no chance of redemption.
Reply 32
School is too long as it is. I would agree with working for a year before going to uni though, I think that would have lots of benefits. One could even encourage school leavers to do an apprenticeship coupled with a degree, sponsored through university by an employer. Of course then more businesses would have to be encouraged to offer this. In Germany it is quite wide-spread (in most cases those students get a monthly salary throughout their degree and simply work either two days a week and/or in the vacations for their sponsor), but in the UK, not so many companies offer this. Unfortunately the job market doesn't really allow for all school-leavers to find work though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dragonfly07
I think that the OP's points are slightly exaggerated, but I agree with the gist of it.

I don't think it's bad that young people get into education so fast. I think it's an amazing opportunity and it's very good for development of all sorts of skills that they wouldn't be able to develop otherwise.

The reality of it though is that most people don't have enough money for a SECOND CHANCE at university. If they picked the wrong course, whether it be because they dislike it or because they can't get a good job from it.. they're ****ed. They will be stuck with that degree forever with little to no chance of redemption.

This is mainly an issue of finance though. Fecking tuition fees are through the roof, and they only exist because the Government is willing to provide loans. US student loan debt is over $1trillion, and we're heading that way.
(edited 10 years ago)
In other countries, what is the normal age for students to go uni??
Reply 35
Original post by Skip_Snip
I can think of lots of people who did (in their cases) pointless Humanities or Language type courses, just because they were good at them in school without thinking the actual future through, and are now in jobs they could have got without a degree, while paying off their debts.

So maybe if they start uni at 18, they should really think it through, and have a look at what the majority of graduates from their chosen subject are up to.

Languages are pointless?! I'm not going to argue with the humanities, as though I feel there are myriad benefits I accept most don't translate directly into many jobs (Geography being the exception), but we have a national linguist shortage. A monoglot country is hardly the way forward in an ever more globalised world.
Reply 36
This is a very interesting thread. To be honest, I've been thinking about my career choice since I was 14 and some people I know have been considering even younger. So, I think 17/18/19 is the right age to get started on your degree. Besides, what else could one be doing between their A- levels and starting their University degree? -- working to get experience can be done after your degree, that way you can earn above minimum wage.
Reply 37
I disagree. Starting to work too young will only get you frustrated (because you are not taken seriously, will not be trusted with responsible tasks, etc.) and thus hinder your professional progress. Entering the professional world as a seasoned adult will open many more doors.

This is ridiculous. People NEED to start at the bottom of a company and work their way up, learning the fundamentals and gradually being given more and more responsibilities. Even if you have gone to uni at 20 and left at 23/4, you will more than likely be treated the same way; however the people there who are the same age as you who left uni at 21 will already have more responsibilities and will be treated as a more valued member of the company. Also, regardless of age, if you have spent your whole life in education, up to any age suddenly being thrown into a job with masses of responsibility will not be good for you and you may not understand everything you are doing. There is a reason we start young - so we can get to our desired place in life by 30-35.
Sorry, but its a well known fact. The whole point is that social work does not require much skill at all. http://www.zeit.de/wirtschaft/2010-09/gesundheitsbranche-leiharbeiter/seite-2

Changes absolutely nothing about my point. Students on their social years won't do the same work as proper social workers for legal reasons alone. The article you link to refers to a rather recent development, one that didn't quite coincide with the mandatory social year as it was abolished a few years ago.

Okay, so first of all, its hardly self-centered to want to determine your own life. You know, human rights and all that.

You didn't complain about it when they 'forced' you to go to school... what a pathetic excuse for not wanting to give back to society and pursue your own interests right away.

There are other ways to give back to society than being forced to work where you do not want to. Taxes, charities, etc..

Yeah, because SO many students pay/do that...

Your view also doesn't consider to what extent people will actually use social work as "valuable time to reflect" - it is an assumption you make. Who can say whether they will know better after that year what they want to do with their life?

It was the intended purpose of the time, and it was actively encouraged. Also, I know many people who found the time useful - including myself.
Reply 39
Original post by roh
Languages are pointless?! I'm not going to argue with the humanities, as though I feel there are myriad benefits I accept most don't translate directly into many jobs (Geography being the exception), but we have a national linguist shortage. A monoglot country is hardly the way forward in an ever more globalised world.

Ahem

Original post by Skip_Snip
(in their cases) pointless.

In their cases because they didn't do anything with the degree, not even communicate with someone in French.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending