The Student Room Group

No money to even start university :(

[INDENT]I've been accepted into Swansea metropolitan university doing photography in the arts.
Having family issues at home, I moved away from home and apply for an independent student loan.
This went off quite late and it's still being processed. I don't have £250 for a deposit on accommodation and need £500 in my student bank account (barclays) before I can even apply for an overdraft which ill need when my money comes in late :/
not sure what to do as I'm not getting any help from home and have no money coming in.

Advice please?[/INDENT]
Reply 1
Original post by ThatGirlShann

[INDENT]I've been accepted into Swansea metropolitan university doing photography in the arts.
Having family issues at home, I moved away from home and apply for an independent student loan.
This went off quite late and it's still being processed. I don't have £250 for a deposit on accommodation and need £500 in my student bank account (barclays) before I can even apply for an overdraft which ill need when my money comes in late :/
not sure what to do as I'm not getting any help from home and have no money coming in.

Advice please?[/INDENT]

Hi Shann,

Sorry to hear about your family problems. One thing you could do is phone Swansea Met and see if they offer hardship funding, most Universities offer this for people in your situation. I go to Swansea Met myself but don't know much about what they offer in terms of bursaries and funding. They are very friendly there so ask them if you could go in and talk to them (face to face may be better for you).

Wish you luck!

Any queries about Swansea Met, feel free to contact me,

Ash
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure Swansea Met offers a Distance Travel Bursary. It's around £500. But your home address has got to be around 45 miles away for you to qualify. I hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks guys,
I called today and there's a grant that can help me but I can only apply on September :/
ive searched high and low for an help online.
Ive resorted to applying for a credit card and I was even declined for that :frown:
not sure what to do :frown:
Reply 4
If you need an Overdraft then Llyods does a student one for £500 and all you need is your UCAS conformation letter. Set up in a couple of days so you should have it in time.

It progresses to £1500 after a certain amount of time too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending