The Student Room Group

Best Subjects To Take For Chosen Career

I want to go into Sports Journalism, and currently run my own blog and work with my local football club producing match reports, articles for the programme and currently feature in the Non League Paper (football fans may have heard of it).

I need to decide my A-Level choices by Thursday, and although I originally wanted to do Accounting and Finance, this is a much more enjoyable career option I would want to take.

I know I will take BTEC Sport Level 3 (I did both GCSE and BTEC Level 2 at GCSE level, and AS PE isn't available at my college). I am also thinking of taking English Language, but not Literature (I despise literature!)

Now I would need 2 more options. I know Media is a possibility but didn't take it at GCSE, so wouldn't be able to do so at A-Level. ICT is a subject I'm definitely thinking of doing, and Maths is a possible fourth option, as a back-up subject.

However, are there any more subjects that would be better to take?

Thanks
Reply 1
Psychology or Sociology may be good?
Reply 2
Original post by TheBigJosh
Psychology or Sociology may be good?

I didn't take either at GCSE, and where I am going now I need to have done them previously, unfortunately.

EDIT: I was also thinking of doing Economics. Would that help much?
Reply 3
Oh well, most people don't take Sociology or Psych at GCSE and still manage to do them at A-Level fine, seems strange that your university of choice would have that as a pre-requisite.
I've never studied Economics, I just heard it's Business and Maths lumped into one.
How about a language?
Reply 4
What are you thinking of doing at univesity (if you are planning to go)?

Humanities (Geography, History, English, Poltics, Psychology, Sociology). A science, such as Maths or something that could complement sport, such as biology, may not be an idea should you feel confident taking one. Provides variety.

Media wouldn't be much use anyway. Worth taking as a fourth option if you want to, but otherwise not a big miss.
Reply 5
Don't think media would be a great "main" subject if that's what you're thinking.

Good choice of English lang. I don't think most of Russell Group or oxbridge has journalism as a degree, and I suppose bachelor's in English would be a decent degree for journalism. In which case, eng lit would probably be handy, since many unis want that.

Maths would be a decent one to show you aren't just solely a humanities person, and would be more useful than science A-levels. Perhaps bio to AS to build a slightly better understanding of the body and whatnot.

Places with dedicated sports journalism degrees like ual want "sports studies"
Reply 6
Original post by Kaneee
I want to go into Sports Journalism, and currently run my own blog and work with my local football club producing match reports, articles for the programme and currently feature in the Non League Paper (football fans may have heard of it).

I need to decide my A-Level choices by Thursday, and although I originally wanted to do Accounting and Finance, this is a much more enjoyable career option I would want to take.

I know I will take BTEC Sport Level 3 (I did both GCSE and BTEC Level 2 at GCSE level, and AS PE isn't available at my college). I am also thinking of taking English Language, but not Literature (I despise literature!)

Now I would need 2 more options. I know Media is a possibility but didn't take it at GCSE, so wouldn't be able to do so at A-Level. ICT is a subject I'm definitely thinking of doing, and Maths is a possible fourth option, as a back-up subject.

However, are there any more subjects that would be better to take?

Thanks

Hey dude i have a friend who plans to study Sports Journalism at uni!

He did Economics (Even though he sucked at it), maths, biology and English language.

For your other 2 subjects, maths is a very good subject which can serve as a very good AS subject. Economics would be good as well! Also that school is BULL if you need to have done sociology/psychology. I highly doubt they want you to take it at gcse, seeming most schools dont offer it and the AS courses do not require previous knowledge.

I did ICT AS and although the content may look easy, the exam is horrendous. The papers are marked extremely tightly, so if you do not use certain phrases you get 0 pretty much. The essays are also pretty stupid, 'e.g. telling this dude what software to bring on a holiday....'
Reply 7
Sports journalism is really good and in fact there is a lot of money involved in the career

Quick Reply

Latest