The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Not a clubber/drinker

All of this talk of nightlife is making me VERY NERVOUS.
Well, not really, but I'm not a big fan of clubbing/drinking - I'd much rather sit in a pub playing cards than jump about to ****ty music and drink snakebite! :redface:
i'm also weary of the 'fresher's ball' thing - very much not a girly girl, even skipped my prom!
I'll try anything once of course, and I intend to give it a go, but I was just wondering (if it all gets a bit much) if there's anyone else here in the same boat?
Have applied to live in Tyler B/C but no confirmation as of yet!

Scroll to see replies

To each their own. I don't drink anyway but enjoy nights out clubbing occasionally. There are other options available - I don't go to Kent Uni BTW - such as cinema, sports, etc. If theres something you care deeply about, but no society for it, follow all the Ts & Cs and set one up!

Put it this way you will not be short of things to do.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Im not going to uni or atleast not the same one but I'd be the same/similar to you and I'm pretty sure thousands of other people would be the same.

That being said I wouldnt go limiting yourself just based on that, you might find after trying it in a new setting and with new people that you like it alot more? or you might just say "ok, I tried it and didnt like it, fair enough"

In the end of the day you dont have to be a party animal, clubbing mad dance-a-holic to have a good time in uni or in life in general, there will be hundreds of people who just want a drink and a chat or game of cards/pool, flat/house party opportunities and people who just want to do non drinking activities

The important thing in my oppinion is you just relax and try and make some new/more friends and have a good time by whatever that means for you, and if you do that I'm sure the social aspect of your time at uni will be very rewarding im sure xD

Also make sure to study hard ¬.¬ lol

I hope you and all the rest of the freshers this year have a wonderful time!

All the best!
I'm pretty much the same, I'm planning on going to the events like quiz's and things mainly as then I can still get to know people but I doubt they'll be overly crazy. :smile:

I haven't made my mind up about the ball yet, I probably see how many people are going to it and then decide.
Original post by Bargain.hunt
Well, not really, but I'm not a big fan of clubbing/drinking - I'd much rather sit in a pub playing cards than jump about to ****ty music and drink snakebite! :redface:
i'm also weary of the 'fresher's ball' thing - very much not a girly girl, even skipped my prom!
I'll try anything once of course, and I intend to give it a go, but I was just wondering (if it all gets a bit much) if there's anyone else here in the same boat?

I'm with you-willing to give clubs etc ago but I can't dance to save my life and much prefer pubs playing cards etc etc. And the music lineup for the freshers ball is... shall we say not looking like my type of music. (I prefer indie, rock, alternative (alternative to what exactly? :tongue:) What course are you doing? :smile:
I wouldn't worry! Granted, alot of people do go clubbing but likewise there is alot of people like you who'd rather have a quieter drink at a pub! I'm in second year now and a lot of people love Woody's (a pub in Parkwood) and there's also K Bar etc. that are quieter on campus than a club. In town there's a pub on every corner from classic country pubs, to Wetherspoons to a rock pub called Lady Luck if you're more into that kind of music. As for dressing up, there are so many people at university that no one really cares what you wear even if you do go clubbing you can go in jeans and flats.

Relax and enjoy this year! It was the best year of my life! :biggrin:
Original post by meaganloudon
I wouldn't worry! Granted, alot of people do go clubbing but likewise there is alot of people like you who'd rather have a quieter drink at a pub! I'm in second year now and a lot of people love Woody's (a pub in Parkwood) and there's also K Bar etc. that are quieter on campus than a club. In town there's a pub on every corner from classic country pubs, to Wetherspoons to a rock pub called Lady Luck if you're more into that kind of music. As for dressing up, there are so many people at university that no one really cares what you wear even if you do go clubbing you can go in jeans and flats.

Relax and enjoy this year! It was the best year of my life! :biggrin:

Cool nice to know got my accomodation offer earlier parkwood purchas court xD anyone else here in parkwood?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by extermin8or
Cool nice to know got my accomodation offer earlier parkwood purchas court xD anyone else here in parkwood?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, I'm in Willows court ^^
Reply 8

Christ you sound EXACTLY like me its frightening! I skipped my prom too and everyone took the mick :frown: Dont like to be called a bad sport or anything but im much more of a quiet night in kinda girl. Im the one u see in the corner of starbucks with a novel and a frappucinno!
Reply 9
I'm exactly the same, except for health reasons i used to love clubbing! But now it smore of a , if i go ill be in bed for days
Original post by extermin8or

I'm in Purcha's court too! Which house? I'm in 20/ E :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I'm in Parkwood, Lypeatt Court, and I'm not a fan of clubbing either. I definately much prefer going to the pub, or having a quiet night in! For people in Parkwood, we should get together one evening and have our own freshers night out away from the clubs..? :smile:
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's reluctant to go clubbing every night! I MAY go to the freshers ball, but that will depend on who else is going, and how much it costs etc etc
Oh, and I'm studying History :biggrin:
Original post by HelloNasty
totally agree with you on all points haha, glad do know we're not alone. i'm much more into that scene too, got Arctic Monkeys tickets for October! :biggrin: studying english-american lit :smile:

:redface: I emvy you alot right now hahaha their new album is set to be awesome :smile: wwsnt a fan of "suck it and see" :/ but all the others are great :tongue: white lies new alvum Big TV is very good-not as good as their first album but it might be close :tongue: personally I feel a 2nd round of Reading festival next year if the lineups good (hoping for arctic monkeys as one headliner) went last year-was brilliant xD kasabian ftw :biggrin: I've totally digressed from the topic here though hahaha oh and I'm studying Physics w/ foundation year and in in Perchas Court :tongue: if I havent already said-theres actually a society called rocksoc or something and it mentions an alternate freshers ball.... :tongue: dont know anything other than whats on the kent union site.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jack.Davis20
I'm in Purcha's court too! Which house? I'm in 20/ E :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

07 D here.
Original post by HelloNasty
totally agree with you on all points haha, glad do know we're not alone. i'm much more into that scene too, got Arctic Monkeys tickets for October! :biggrin: studying english-american lit :smile:

I'm doing English-American lit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

I'm the same, really! I'm really worried because I really don't like it as much as others do. I'm living in Tyler Court A so maybe we could go down the pub a few times! :tongue:
Original post by Naaadiiiaaa
I'm pretty much the same, I'm planning on going to the events like quiz's and things mainly as then I can still get to know people but I doubt they'll be overly crazy. :smile:

I haven't made my mind up about the ball yet, I probably see how many people are going to it and then decide.

I really want to go to the quiz night!
Reply 17
Hey guys, also studying english and american lit - i'm kinda scared about freshers too as i dont want to seem anti social but clubbing really isnt my sort of thing, i'll go if i have to, but i'd much prefer something else. Nice to know other people feel the same way! :biggrin:
You guys will be fine :smile: there is loads to do at the uni/ in Kent. I've spent many nights in Woodys in Parkwood just playing cards or playing some pool. There are so many societies as well, make sure you go to the freshers fair :smile:

Also dont worry about the freshers ball. Last year it was awful, it was £15-20 for entry and nothing special happened. Everybody started leaving around 11-12 because they were bored. I walked a girl home because she fell asleep inside the venue haha!! So unless someone else is in charge this year and plans to do something that is actually worth going to, dont worry about missing it :smile:
Reply 19

Well, I dont drink nor going clubbing. but at kent uni there lots of things you can do. you can go to events, quiz night, even go to a pub down in the town. however if you interested in photography, you can go out taking photos alone or with friends. believe me you never get bored unless you wan to :colondollar: . but give everything a go coz experiencing is always accepted :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending