The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Downloading in halls

Long time no see SR!

I've got into Nottingham to do my masters, but since I'm new to the city, and the uni, I'm staying in halls for the year. My question is, what are the rulings on downloading? Is it an automatic block, a 'We say we're against it, but we won't tell if you don't' sort of deal that my last uni had, or what?
I also wonder if they're going to be affected my Mr.Cameron's semi-compulsory firewall.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Which halls? In the Uni-owned ones, you get the uni's own internet and there's a fair bit of blocked stuff. Most download sites are just blocked and torrent clients won't connect.

Broadgate Park uses StudentCom - so far haven't found anything blocked by it!

Not sure about other halls.
Reply 3
Original post by BrushieDuck
Which halls? In the Uni-owned ones, you get the uni's own internet and there's a fair bit of blocked stuff. Most download sites are just blocked and torrent clients won't connect.

Broadgate Park uses StudentCom - so far haven't found anything blocked by it!

Not sure about other halls.

I'm in Raleigh Park, which I'm guessing is one of the Uni-owned ones. Oh dear.
Reply 4
Original post by Yawwy

Raleigh Park got new internet in may it allowed torrents etc before we broke up for the summer.
Original post by Yawwy

Raleigh Park is owned and managed by Derwent living, and has its own wi-fi network I believe.
Reply 6
Original post by ImNew
Raleigh Park got new internet in may it allowed torrents etc before we broke up for the summer.

Original post by FriarLawrenceIII
Raleigh Park is owned and managed by Derwent living, and has its own wi-fi network I believe.

Oh well I guess I'm being silly then. Well that's something then, I don't have to buy the new external hard drive for a while after all.
Reply 7
Raleigh is on StudentCom, which is pretty liberal in its access policies, so you shouldn't have much of a problem using torrents/P2P protocols to download, and should be able to get to most download websites.

It's worth noting StudentCom's policies (as with any ISP) but make of them what you may!:

http://bbm.studentcom.co.uk/login/terms-and-conditions
http://bbm.studentcom.co.uk/login/usage-policy
Reply 8
In university-owned halls you aren't able to access certain sites such as those dishing out torrent files. This is supposed to extend to Broadgate Park and Raleigh Park, which use StudentCom but are supposedly on the university network. That said, I've heard of people at both Broadgate and Raleigh not having any issues. SPC, also using StudentCom, has no issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending