The Student Room Group

A stroke turned this guy gay, so it isn't genetic?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
which is largely spread by straight contact. to say it's largely gays who spread it is stupid and frankly long outdated knowledge.

but as said, many things hurt society. chylamdia does also, so why pick and choose STIs? lololol..
Reply 61
Original post by Jam198
It proves an opt out when they do make the solution mainstream.

and? doesn't bother me either way.
Original post by BonnyBonny
Women mating with men is normal and makes biological sense

You would assume that down syndrome is in nature all the time and therefore is normal

Homosexuality's not like down syndrome because it doesn't impair you from doing anything. It's more like having red hair. Or rather, FABULOUS red hair.
Reply 63
If he can't remember anything about how he was before the stroke then how can he remember that he was straight or not? He might have been suppressing his homosexuality and just can't remember doing that...
Original post by scapepower
lol at the gay-defenders all coming out.

It makes me wonder why people have to make it seem like homosexual is natural, in the sense that what if it was not natural? Is it such a bad act that the only way to justify it means it must be natural?

Don't understand what point you are trying to make? Surely in the 21st century we should have a world that is not discriminatory against anybody and nobody is looked down on for something that is out of their control?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scapepower

Anything stopping the natural and intended function surely is, in that basic sense, a disorder?

But there's no disruption of physical or mental function.

I don't get the big deal about people being gay. It's not something that affects me. Can someone please explain the issue with someone being gay?
I don't think people are born gay or it is a choice.
Original post by Ladymusiclover

What do you think causes it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ladymusiclover

Of course it's not a choice! Every biological aspect is from our facial features to the colour of our hair and even our sexuality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by Jam198
Very rational response Katy lady. Could you add more to your response.

LOL. It just doesn't work like that. I love the fact that he goes on to ask many professionals and they all deny it but he is "determined to be proven right". Good luck to him because it's obvious that he needs it to be true as opposed to accept that he was already gay.
Reply 70
Original post by shadowdweller
It doesn't need to make 'biological sense' to be natural

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am biologically educated so you are in no position to lecture

Original post by c.a1979
some straight people don't reproduce.

Yes and that is not normal in terms of occurrence, their unfortunate genes or/and environment played a part

as we have 7 billion people, why does it matter if some don't reproduce?

It is a few, it is detrimental to the individuals, you would not want to experience it I can assure you.

if you're going to cite the Bible or some such,

Please do not

It will never end

where did Jesus say that a person should reproduce? There are some monks in orders who don't. Try and explain that as bad per the Gospels, eh?

I am not religious so will ignore

but nature orders us to do so including growth, predation and respiration of some sort for humans.

And not to mate with our same sex
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71

Yes and that is not normal in terms of occurrence, their unfortunate genes or/and environment played a part

It is a few, it is detrimental to the individuals, you would not want to experience it I can assure you.

Please do not

It will never end

I am not religious so will ignore

but nature orders us to do so including growth, predation and respiration of some sort for humans.

And not to mate with our same sex

Nature does not order us to do anything. Evolution has no intent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by paradoxicalme
Homosexuality's not like down syndrome because it doesn't impair you from doing anything. It's more like having red hair. Or rather, FABULOUS red hair.

Not my point

Is down syndrome normal?

Original post by mmmpie
Nature does not order us to do anything. Evolution has no intent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it does my man but you are not aware of it

Despite it dictating every aspect of your life
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by OU Student
But there's no disruption of physical or mental function.

I don't get the big deal about people being gay. It's not something that affects me. Can someone please explain the issue with someone being gay?

They can't deal with how fabulous we are. :wink:

Seriously though, I think it's a prejudice brought on by fear and ignorance of the unknown. And the rather irrational fear that we're going to jump them.

I'm not lecturing. But not it doesn't need to make biological sense to be natural. Feel free to provide a counter-argument

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paradoxicalme
They can't deal with how fabulous we are. :wink:

lol

Seriously though, I think it's a prejudice brought on by fear and ignorance of the unknown. And the rather irrational fear that we're going to jump them.

I remember a female friend "coming out" to me in school and one of the first things she said was "don't worry, I don't fancy you". In the nicest way possible, I don't care if someone is gay. It doesn't change my friendship with them.

The irrational fear of a gay person jumping on their straight friend makes no sense and it's no different to a straight person jumping (or not) on their friend of the opposite sex.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by OU Student
lol

I remember a female friend "coming out" to me in school and one of the first things she said was "don't worry, I don't fancy you". In the nicest way possible, I don't care if someone is gay. It doesn't change my friendship with them.

The irrational fear of a gay person jumping on their straight friend makes no sense and it's no different to a straight person jumping (or not) on their friend of the opposite sex.

Ironically I'm a bad example, since I wanted to 'jump' my straight friend for over a year...never did anything about it though, of course. Stupid genetics.

I wish people wouldn't care so much about it, though. Worst case scenario, someone of the same sex fancies you. Take it as a bloody compliment!
Reply 77
But not it doesn't need to make biological sense to be natural.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not?

Dawkins
Why not?

Dawkins

Well, in this instance, homosexuality could be said to be natural, as - for example - it's also found in animals

Care to elaborate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Well, in this instance, homosexuality could be said to be natural, as - for example - it's also found in animals

Care to elaborate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Something can be natural and not be normal

Bestiality is natural but people hate it

Quick Reply

Latest