The Student Room Group

What is the issue with online bullying? Turn your computer off!

With the ask.fm fiasco, it got me thinking, why not just turn your computer off? Problem solved.

If you need to use your computer, then don't use social-networking sites.

Or block them.
Or create a new account.
Or report them.

What is the issue? Or is there something more?
The issue is that bullying is wrong.
It shouldn't happen in the first place.

Why should I turn my comp off or make a a new account because some idiots are abusing me? That'll just be them winning.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Just because something starts online doesn't mean it is limited to being online. When the person who is being bullied switches their computer off the bullies don't just disappear. The bullies are usually people who are in their lives and won't necessarily stop targeting their victims if they stop using their computer.
Original post by im so academic
With the ask.fm fiasco, it got me thinking, why not just turn your computer off? Problem solved.

If you need to use your computer, then don't use social-networking sites.

Or block them.
Or create a new account.
Or report them.

What is the issue? Or is there something more?

I don't know. I was bullied for a brief period online and it is very, very difficult to just walk away from it and pretend it's not happening. The fact is, you can walk away and you can switch off your computer...but that doesn't mean that the people/trolls/bullies/haters will stop their abuse. It just feels confusing. It feels like a problem you need to sort out and can't just walk away from. It's so personal and so visceral.

But, yes, generally, I would say take a break from the computer. Try to block particularly nasty people and see how you go. But don't underestimate how difficult it is to ignore bullying like this. I can't imagine what it would be like if it went on for a long time.
Reply 4
I think its easier to block a stranger online than people in your school that can find websites which show they have been blocked and mock them in school even more for not facing them
Reply 5
Original post by *Sierra*
Just because something starts online doesn't mean it is limited to being online. When the person who is being bullied switches their computer off the bullies don't just disappear. The bullies are usually people who are in their lives and won't necessarily stop targeting their victims if they stop using their computer.

I think the most recent ask.fm suicide was only online bullying.
Reply 6
don't judge meuntil you've walked 1 mile in my shoes ok
Reply 7
Original post by IdeasForLife
Why should I turn my comp off or make a a new account because some idiots are abusing me? That'll just be them winning.

Tricky one. If you frame it in terms of winning and losing, it's very difficult to see how you'll deal with it effectively. They'll 'win' if you make a new account/shut down or they'll 'win' if they can keep hurling abuse. I don't know if it's possible to deal with it in such a way that there is no 'winner' and no 'loser.'
Reply 8
Original post by Tabzqt
I think the most recent ask.fm suicide was only online bullying.

This doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility of the victim fearing it to be someone in their life outside of the virtual world, particularly with 'ask.fm' which I believe allows complete anonymity.
You can ignore a broken tap by leaving the toilet, but you'll still hear that drip at night.
You don't want to be seen as weak to others for turning off, it'd be easier, but then everyone would think that you can't handle it and think of you of weak and pathetic, where as if you could be seen as being able taking abusing (even if you couldn't in reality) people would think that you were how do I say, confident, and that they think you'd be able to take abuse so they would try hard to provoke a major reaction out of you if you have endured it for long that try and provoke a major reaction.

It'd be easier to say to switch off but people don't find it easier as I have said, they'd be seen as weak minded people, but it'd save them a whole load of sh**. sad world we live in it isn't it
speaking from personal experience i did just as the OP said, i was getting abuse on ask.fm and a few other sites so i just blocked the nastiest of the lot (although never reported anyone) and cut down on time online. After a while they got bored and weren't even able to hurl any more abuse so just moved on... never had a problem since.
Reply 12
people are pussy's
Reply 13
classic victim blaming :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending