The Student Room Group

Question about student finance

Hi all! :smile:

I know this is not the place for it, but I've looked at the forum where it should be and found out that people are not getting responses there. So here goes my question.. (Please be considerate Mods :redface:)

I'm filling my student loan application online and the part where my parents have to support my application is the one causing problem. It says there for my parents:

"Enter your details in the fields below. If you have supported a previous student finance application for a member of your family, or applied for finance yourself, use the ‘Sign In’ fields.

If this is the first time you’ve supported an application and you have never applied for support yourself, use the ‘Register’ fields".

So my question mainly is that does applying finance for yourself here mean applying for JSA or something else? What Customer Reference Number is it asking for there for "Sign in"?

And if my parents register themselves for supporting my application, surely they wouldn't have to fill the same amount of data that I had to fill for my application as a student?? :confused:

And Lastly, as I'm new here in the U.K (given Refugee status last month), my mother has not received National Insurance number yet (she applied for one last week) and hence neither does she have a bank account here, so what does she do for filling up her parts of supporting my application?? :confused: :confused:

PLEASE HELP!! :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Call them, student finance was the hardest part to apply to uni don't worry there is a light at the end of the tunnel
Reply 2
When it asks your parents if they have ever applied or supported an application before, it means student finance only. Any other financial support they have applied for (JSA, income support, etc.) is completely separate. So they will have to sign up to support your application.

First you have to enter their email address into the area of your application where it asks for the name of the person who will be supporting your application.

Then you have to submit your application (they won't receive an email with instructions on how to sign up until you submit your application.)

Then they have to sign up. The system should cater for the situation you describe (your mother doesn't have a National Insurance number). There should be an area for her to say that she is a refugee.

If you continue to have problems, ring the Student Finance helpline on 0845 300 5090. They are usually really friendly though sometimes they can be rude because lots of people are rude to them and they seem to expect everybody to be. If you get somebody who isn't friendly, hang up and ring back and you will get somebody different.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by SannaS
Call them, student finance was the hardest part to apply to uni don't worry there is a light at the end of the tunnel

It's causing me headaches :frown: :s-smilie:

If I submit my loan application tomorrow, how long will it get for me to receive the tuition and maintenance loan? And how should I apply for accommodation as I most probably would receive the loan in around one months time and I should be applying for accommodation in the next few days, right?

As I understand, at the time of enrollment, I will need to show the letter of entitlement of Loan, which I would have with me hopefully by that time but what should I do regarding accommodation? What should I tell the accommodation office regarding the financing of my accommodation? :s-smilie: :confused:
Original post by moutonfou
When it asks your parents if they have ever applied or supported an application before, it means student finance only. Any other financial support they have applied for (JSA, income support, etc.) is completely separate. So they will have to sign up to support your application.

First you have to enter their email address into the area of your application where it asks for the name of the person who will be supporting your application.

Then you have to submit your application (they won't receive an email with instructions on how to sign up until you submit your application.)

Then they have to sign up. The system should cater for the situation you describe (your mother doesn't have a National Insurance number). There should be an area for her to say that she is a refugee.

If you continue to have problems, ring the Student Finance helpline on 0845 300 5090. They are usually really friendly though sometimes they can be rude because lots of people are rude to them and they seem to expect everybody to be. If you get somebody who isn't friendly, hang up and ring back and you will get somebody different.

Good luck :smile:

Ok, Thank you very much, I'll try what you've just told me and report back in an hour or two if it works.. :smile: :ta:
Reply 5
Original post by coutinho_meister
nd how should I apply for accommodation as I most probably would receive the loan in around one months time and I should be applying for accommodation in the next few days, right?

All you have to pay when you apply for accommodation is a deposit (usually around £200). You will only have to start to pay rent once you have your student loan. So you can apply now!

If you don't have £200 for a deposit:

- If it's university accommodation, tell the university about your financial situation and they will be able to arrange to take the deposit once you receive your student finance.

- If it's private accommodation, I am not sure what they would do if you didn't have the funds for the deposit. You would have to ask them individually.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by moutonfou
All you have to pay when you apply for accommodation is a deposit (usually around £200). You will only have to start to pay rent once you have your student loan. So you can apply now!

If you don't have £200 for a deposit:

- If it's university accommodation, tell the university about your financial situation and they will be able to arrange to take the deposit once you receive your student finance.

- If it's private accommodation, I am not sure what they would do if you didn't have the funds for the deposit. You would have to ask them individually.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you again! :smile:

I called UCAS today and they told me they have posted the welcome letter today confirming my admission at Oxford brookes. So should I wait for it or should I apply for accommodation tommorow (I applied through Record of Prior acceptance form for admission).

And I do have £200 for depositing thankfully, so what should I be looking at in Oxford in your opinion? Private or Uni. accommodation? I just need a small private room in which to do my studies and nothing fancy. What are the halls like? I wouldn't mind sharing kitchens and bathrooms.
Reply 7
Hi,

I missed out on my firm choice and I am trying to change my details on the sfe website but it won't let me, what else can I do, I've tried contacting them and they are no help at all!

Thanks
Original post by Kelly9512
Hi,

I missed out on my firm choice and I am trying to change my details on the sfe website but it won't let me, what else can I do, I've tried contacting them and they are no help at all!

Thanks

I think it is some sort of technical glitch :mad:, I left one field empty when I was filling the online form, and now every time I fill that particular field and then save it, it shows that that particular field has been filled. But when I log in after some time, it shows me that particular field as not filled.. :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by coutinho_meister
It's causing me headaches :frown: :s-smilie:

If I submit my loan application tomorrow, how long will it get for me to receive the tuition and maintenance loan? And how should I apply for accommodation as I most probably would receive the loan in around one months time and I should be applying for accommodation in the next few days, right?

As I understand, at the time of enrollment, I will need to show the letter of entitlement of Loan, which I would have with me hopefully by that time but what should I do regarding accommodation? What should I tell the accommodation office regarding the financing of my accommodation? :s-smilie: :confused:

Im sorry im living at home for university so I don't really know about accommodation but if they have a contact number call directly, but the deadline for student finance in order to get money on time was 31st may? It tool them about 4 weeks to process application- very sorry for poor advice but I got through it by repeatedly calling them up, dont worry congratulations on getting into university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending