The Student Room Group

HELP! Failed AS, want to retake

I failed my AS so bad! I want to retake a year but I don't think my school will let me. I want to go somewhere, actually I NEED to go somewhere else. But I asked one college already and they said they were full. I'm asking around? But has anyone been in this situation??? I just need advice because I am so scared its TOO late to get into somewhere and I'll be doing nothing for a year which is NOT an option!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miso77
I failed my AS so bad! I want to retake a year but I don't think my school will let me. I want to go somewhere, actually I NEED to go somewhere else. But I asked one college already and they said they were full. I'm asking around? But has anyone been in this situation??? I just need advice because I am so scared its TOO late to get into somewhere and I'll be doing nothing for a year which is NOT an option!

It's not too late to go somewhere else. Some colleges are still taking in pupils within the first 2-3 weeks of September. Keep calling around and hopefully they'll be some places left in other colleges
Good Luck
Just keep asking round.
If the worst happens and you can't find somewhere, would you be comfortable teaching yourself? Because that's an option, though you would need to find a center to sit your exams.
Reply 3
I failed my AS's too, got U U U. Then I re sat and got A C C when I had finished which are good grades although TSR would think otherwise. I saw someone saying they weren't happy with AAB. Just give yourself a good talking to and re-sit Im at uni now. I think by law you are allowed to re sit them at your school, I didnt think they could say no?
Reply 4
Original post by DZJX
I failed my AS's too, got U U U. Then I re sat and got A C C when I had finished which are good grades although TSR would think otherwise. I saw someone saying they weren't happy with AAB. Just give yourself a good talking to and re-sit Im at uni now. I think by law you are allowed to re sit them at your school, I didnt think they could say no?

What is TSR? You improved drastically and that's all that matters! My predicted grades were ABB and I completely ****ed up by getting DDU. I know exactly what I need to do when I resit, I'm also getting some scripts back. My school at the beginning of the year said they don't have funding for that but they are so rich so I don't really understand, maybe it was an insentive for us to work hard. What uni do you go to? Did they ask about why you resat the year?
Reply 5
Original post by EvasiveRose
It's not too late to go somewhere else. Some colleges are still taking in pupils within the first 2-3 weeks of September. Keep calling around and hopefully they'll be some places left in other colleges
Good Luck

Ok, I will definitely keep trying. Thank you so much.
Reply 6
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Just keep asking round.
If the worst happens and you can't find somewhere, would you be comfortable teaching yourself? Because that's an option, though you would need to find a center to sit your exams.

I will but at the moment I'm not very optimistic, I'm even trying private school. I don't know about teaching myself I'm not that confident, especially as the subjects I do (biology, chemistry, maths, psychology) are not very easy..
Original post by Miso77
I will but at the moment I'm not very optimistic, I'm even trying private school. I don't know about teaching myself I'm not that confident, especially as the subjects I do (biology, chemistry, maths, psychology) are not very easy..

I'd be willing to help (got a long wait before the GCSE results get released :cry:). If you'd like my assisstance PM me the area in which you live and I could try locating some colleges for you
Plus I'll be doing Chemistry, Maths and possibly Biology and so will many other users on here. So if it comes down to self teaching, TSR will be a great help to you
Original post by DZJX

Those are great grades for A-Levels, albeit some users on TSR would disagree:angry:(probably the minority though). Don't put yourself down when you see people getting upset because they recieved AAB. Everyone has different expectations. What you might see as exceptional others might see as failure and vice versa.
Once again, well done on working your socks off to get ACC. I'm proud of you :hugs:
Reply 9
I failed my AS last year, got DEED lol

My college refused to accept me too retake the year, so asked all the colleges where I live to retake, one college accepted me luckily. The difference was I wired a lot harder, the exam boards changed and I came out with 3 A's and merrit in BTEC
Reply 10
My first recommendation would be to actually contact your school to see if they will let you retake. But I would only do this if you definately cannot retake half of the exams in Jan and half in June - I'm not too sure about the Governments new measures. I achieved fairly similar grades to you in more or less the same subjects and I came out with ABB. I decided to defer for a year and I am now going off to uni this year. My teachers offered to let me back for year 13 as I was 1 UMS of an A in History, 3 off an A in Chemistry and 5 off an A* in Biology. I personally didn't do it because I needed to earn some money for personal reasons. If you have an option to re-sit at the end of year 13 though I would highly recommend that as an option as well.
Reply 11
I had the same problem, flopped one of my math exams and got a U in one unit. My school have a policy where they want everyone to have at least an E in every unit no matter what the overall score in the subject is. Luckily they made an exception and allowed me in, but now I have to work my butt of to get the grade I need for uni.
Reply 12
Original post by niceguy95
I failed my AS last year, got DEED lol

My college refused to accept me too retake the year, so asked all the colleges where I live to retake, one college accepted me luckily. The difference was I wired a lot harder, the exam boards changed and I came out with 3 A's and merrit in BTEC

That's So good. Well done! I hope to do the same. Do you have any tips about starting again? What you did differently?
Reply 13
Original post by Freddiehc
My first recommendation would be to actually contact your school to see if they will let you retake. But I would only do this if you definately cannot retake half of the exams in Jan and half in June - I'm not too sure about the Governments new measures. I achieved fairly similar grades to you in more or less the same subjects and I came out with ABB. I decided to defer for a year and I am now going off to uni this year. My teachers offered to let me back for year 13 as I was 1 UMS of an A in History, 3 off an A in Chemistry and 5 off an A* in Biology. I personally didn't do it because I needed to earn some money for personal reasons. If you have an option to re-sit at the end of year 13 though I would highly recommend that as an option as well.

I will but my god I am scared for their answer even though I know it. I'm just trying to find a back up before I ask so I don't have a panic attack. January exams don't exist so I'd have As and A2 in the same month and honestly I don't think I would personally do as well as I want! You did super well. I'm also thinking about changing chemistry to physics I still need to decide!
Reply 14
Original post by EvasiveRose
I'd be willing to help (got a long wait before the GCSE results get released :cry:). If you'd like my assisstance PM me the area in which you live and I could try locating some colleges for you
Plus I'll be doing Chemistry, Maths and possibly Biology and so will many other users on here. So if it comes down to self teaching, TSR will be a great help to you

Aw, thanks so much! That would mean the world. I will private message you! When do you get yourgcse results? I'm sure you'll do amazing, good luck! Good choice those subjects open up so many doors!
Reply 15
Original post by Miso77
What is TSR? You improved drastically and that's all that matters! My predicted grades were ABB and I completely ****ed up by getting DDU. I know exactly what I need to do when I resit, I'm also getting some scripts back. My school at the beginning of the year said they don't have funding for that but they are so rich so I don't really understand, maybe it was an insentive for us to work hard. What uni do you go to? Did they ask about why you resat the year?

TSR is just short for saying The Student Room lol. And no they didn't ask why I re sat, didnt have an interview or anything though, probably because I go to Leeds Met but still its better than no university, which is what wouldve happened if I had given up and not re sat.
Reply 16
Original post by DZJX
TSR is just short for saying The Student Room lol. And no they didn't ask why I re sat, didnt have an interview or anything though, probably because I go to Leeds Met but still its better than no university, which is what wouldve happened if I had given up and not re sat.

Haha I figured it out straight after I pressed send! Oh right, that's good! Leeds met is good. Yes true, good on you! I hope I can do the same :smile:
Original post by Miso77

In the same position as you, it is a horrible feeling. If you get a college, are you looking to studying the same subjects or changing them?

Best of luck, and I am sure you will find a place x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by melodyogbebor
In the same position as you, it is a horrible feeling. If you get a college, are you looking to studying the same subjects or changing them?

Best of luck, and I am sure you will find a place x

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is the worst feeling I've felt so far, such disappointment to me and my family. I'm trying to decide I don't think chemistry was the best descision for me I'm thinking of swapping it for physics as I'm quite interested in that career but I'm scared it would hard! What are you doing at the moment?
Thank you!
Original post by Miso77
It is the worst feeling I've felt so far, such disappointment to me and my family. I'm trying to decide I don't think chemistry was the best descision for me I'm thinking of swapping it for physics as I'm quite interested in that career but I'm scared it would hard! What are you doing at the moment?
Thank you!

Physics is a very interesting subject and it can take you to many different careers. It was a hard thing to face but I feel it will be worth it, you qu get the grades you so desperately want and go to the Uni you've always dreamed of instead of settling for second best.

I am thinking of retaking Year 12 again with History, Religious Studies, Drama and maybe Media/Sociology :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest