The Student Room Group
I'm doing OCR civil rights in america 1865-1980, is that the same as you? will help if I can but I'm not that good at it!
Reply 2
Yea thats the one!!

To be honest i could do with any helpin reagrds to history not my strongest subject lol

I would be very greatful!:biggrin:
Reply 3
*jelly_baby*
I'm doing OCR civil rights in america 1865-1980

Same here I am good at the African Americans, Okay with the Immigrants and Native Americans, but not so great with the Labour Rights.
Reply 4
Could you offer any help or advice?
Reply 5
Hi guys. I am doing AQA, but nevermind, mine is 1877 - 1980.
Anyway; I will still help as much as possible.

After Reconstruction, it proved to be a "false dawn". The slaves were emancipated and one would have expected them to have unprecedent new rights. President Rutherford reversed any previous gains made by Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation. Black people continued to face much much trouble and still were undermined. (Introduction kind of thing?) Old South dominate politics of presidents over the whole 100 years as presidents wanted votes.

Then, you can mention how leaders such as Booker T. Washington helped in establishing theories that blacks were morally behind whites and that they were only 3/5 (I think), human and therefore, should be educated in vocational things, not academic; Tuskegee Institute etc.

Next, you MUST mention Plessy V Ferguson, this set a precedent for "separate but equal". The Supreme Court ruled it ok to have equal facilities etc. But, still "separate" = not good!

Then you have the "Jim Crow" laws and Voting qualifications + lynching = awful time for blacks!

But, equally you have a rise in "black consciousness and awareness" with the establishment of the NAACP in the 1915+ (I think) and Du Bois. You also have the rise in educated blacks and I suppose the fact a black, Booker T had a strong rapport with White House. = better than before?

Then, we have migration to the north = pay is better but still much division and riots and lynching. Also 1930s - 1940s segregated forces = ironic that U.S stands for democracy but its people are unequal and repressed. But, FDR brings in Executive Order 8802 = denounces segregation in armaments etc = stepping stone. Still takes Truman to desegregate forces!

1954 Board of Education = stepping stone as deseg. in education but dejure and not de facto as Little Rock School = many riots and still inequality in education. Was a precedent though! :biggrin:

1960s - a turning point? LBJ does a lot with 1964 Civil Rights Act etc. Rise in leaders with Martin Luther King etc Carmichael etc..

1970s - Nixon's Southern Strategy. He does little to help Blacks as a result of attracting votes from Southern States. Yada..

Get to 1980s and still conclude that there is bifurcation in America but that there are some improvements. This is a roughly rough outline.
You must comment on crucial acts and laws and focus on political, economic and social. Find out voting figures. More blacks became enfranchised throughout the period. But, in my opinion still much inequality. Look around today, there are still many Southern states in U.S which hate blacks?

Hope this helps!! :biggrin:
x x x
Reply 6
I did a module back in January of this year on appeasement between the wars and that looked at the relationship between Britain and Germany 1918-1939 in terms of how Britain appeased to Hitler to try to stop/delay the break out of the Second World War... I don't know if that's relevent- off the top of my head, Britain appeased Hitler to try to prevent another World War due to the horrors of World War 1 and many people thought Germany had been treated really unfairly in the Treaty of Versailles when they had to pay 600,000 reperations per year or something like that and they lost a lot of land. Also the requests Hitler made like wanting the German area of Checkoslavakia seemed quite reasonable as he had so much land taken away, there were loads of pacts to make peace between Germany and Britain to keep the peace- basically Hitler wanted to defy the Treaty of Versailles and Britain appeased because they didn't want another war- especially Neville Chamberlain who was the Prime Minister of Britain at the time, he'd had bad personal experiences as his cousin died in World War 1 and Chamberlain didn't want a peace for that, however loadsa people thought he was naieve, I remember something about him writing a letter to his sister saying that Hitler sounded like an honest and reasonable man or something like that, and Chamberlain's judgment being clouded because he wanted peace so much...

Hope this helps, good luck
Reply 7
:biggrin: tahnks for all your help been v. helpful guys!!!!!!
Reply 8
Do you need any help with the Anglo-German relations thing or am I talking about the wrong thing?
Reply 9
Yea, you were talking about the right thing. The exams on monday now :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending