The Student Room Group

What are you most scared about for when you start university?

I was pretty much quietly freaking out about a load of things - what are you guys unsure of/ worried about? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Not being able to afford anything, being excluded from social things (not with poor intent) because I'm on crutches and missing out on too many lectures due to an operation.

Other than that, university should be cool.
Reply 2
If there's one thing as a second year I can tell you not to worry about, it is making friends. All freshers are in the same boat as you and they'll be just as eager as you to make friends. Do NOT stay in your room for the first few days, go out and mingle. Friendship groups form during the first few weeks so if you don't get yourself out there, you will find it harder later on. My sister went to university a few years before me and she was afraid of not making friends but assured me it won't be a problem at all. She was right. :smile:

The other thing I was initially scared of when starting university was moving out an becoming independent. Chances are your flatmates probably haven't lived by themselves either so you'll get through it together and help each other along the way. :smile: I was absolutely clueless in the kitchen, but one of my flatmates taught me to cook some basic, but good food! I'm now a connoisseur of pasta and all pasta related meals. :cool:

Oh and, the first night out during pre-drinks will be quite awkward. Drinking games should help keep things flowing though and once people get a little merry, everything turns out fine. :wink:
Reply 3
Being unable to afford things and not being able to cope with the work.

I was gonna say the social aspect but then I think I'd be speaking for most people.
Not finding a friend...
I'm not staying in accommodation and I'm really shy, so I'm doomed basically.

Also, the anxiety of going into lectures/classes without knowing anyone, won't know where to sit, what to do, etc. :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Maid Marian
Not finding a friend...
I'm not staying in accommodation and I'm really shy, so I'm doomed basically.

Also, the anxiety of going into lectures/classes without knowing anyone, won't know where to sit, what to do, etc. :frown:

Well hi there.

My friend stays at home across the city from us and she's made lots of friends, don't worry about not being in accommodation!

Also lectures you can sit anywhere for and seminars, just sit where you're comfortable :smile: Take notes in lectures, think about your work, do the work for seminars, and seminars are where you pose questions you've thought of and go over your work. :smile: I think you'll be fine, don't worry too much, honestly!
i'm worried about what my flatmates will be like. i'm going into halls for a second year as housing didn't work out, and i was really lucky with my flatmates last year but i know plenty of people that had problems and wouldn't really speak to anyone they were living with! really hoping to avoid drama :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Not being able to afford anything, being excluded from social things (not with poor intent) because I'm on crutches and missing out on too many lectures due to an operation.

Other than that, university should be cool.

Don't worry about that! Whenever some had a cast/was on crutches at Uni they always were helped out! It'll be frustrating but no one will exclude you. You might want to keep a grip on your crutches because we all regress when we are at Uni & want to play with them :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Not making friends, the course being a total sausage fest and or being filled with dude bros.
Original post by victoriahowells
Well hi there.

My friend stays at home across the city from us and she's made lots of friends, don't worry about not being in accommodation!

Also lectures you can sit anywhere for and seminars, just sit where you're comfortable :smile: Take notes in lectures, think about your work, do the work for seminars, and seminars are where you pose questions you've thought of and go over your work. :smile: I think you'll be fine, don't worry too much, honestly!

Yeah but ... in lectures, should I actively try to plonk myself down next to someone? Or is that considered weird? Because if I sit on my own, I'm pretty certain no one will come and sit next to me :cry2:
Yeah but ... in lectures, should I actively try to plonk myself down next to someone? Or is that considered weird? Because if I sit on my own, I'm pretty certain no one will come and sit next to me :cry2:

Yeah sit next to someone and start chatting to them about the course or how they're finding uni etc and conversation will flow from there. Also join clubs and societies and go along to their welcome events, lots of people make their friends that way. Have fun :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly so many people will be looking a little lost! Smile a lot and introduce yourself to people. Once you do that then you all chat about work/Uni/what freshers events you're going to.
I definitely wouldn't think it's weird if someone came & sat down next to me at all. I'd be pleased!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
For some reason not liking my course.
Reply 13
I'm just scared of being by myself.
I don't want to not make friends. I'm not overly talkative and sociable.. so I don't know what to do.

That's why I'm doing shared accommodation because otherwise I know that while I do want to make friends. The fact I'm not talkative (I'm quiet) then I fear that people will just overlook me.. :'c :afraid:
I've been on a gap year, so I'm worried about just having forgotten how to do everything, from writing essays to like, revision :tongue:
That the people won't be cool people--what if I end up in a house full of lads and drama queens? Total nightmare.

That and people will use my stuff without asking
Original post by RalphsDisciple
I've been on a gap year, so I'm worried about just having forgotten how to do everything, from writing essays to like, revision :tongue:

Lol don't worry. I partially forgot how to study and I didn't take a gap year. 1 summer was enough to erase my brain :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Not making any friends because I'm not staying on campus and I live a bus/train journey away from the Uni.
Reply 18
I'm not moving out so the whole independence thing doesn't bother me. I'm just panicking over the work - I'm sure it's going to be a massive jump from A Level! I did quite well at A Level and managed to exceed the conditions of my offer, but I had a LOT of support from my tutors. I know this won't be available in uni, so I'm worrying :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Turning up and The university being like "who are you and what are you doing here"

Quick Reply

Latest