The Student Room Group

List Of Things I Need To Do To Apply To The US

Am I missing anything?

SATs
SATs II
Letters Of Recommendations
Supplement Essay (where will I get this from?)

What do I do about a personal statement? Do I need one? When do people recommend I sit/ study for my SATs & SATs II exams keeping in mind I'll still be doing A Levels? How long will it take me to revise? Should I start during my Y11 summer holidays and sit them as soon as I get back?

I'm looking to apply to Northeastern, Duke, Cornell etc please help
Okay

personal statement: for the US you'll apply to most (if not all) unis through the CommonApp. It's like our UCAS (but you can apply to any # of colleges you like, you aren't limited like UCAS). You will have to write one short essay for the CommonApp (I think it's about 500 words). This will be on one of the essay topics given by the Common App or (I believe) there's an option to make up your own topic. This essay will go to ALL the universities you apply to. It should NOT, however, be like a personal statement for the UK. It should reveal something about you as a person, not just as a student. It should be much less focused on academics, more focused on experiences. If you have very strong academic achievements that you'd like to highlight, I believe it's possible to attach a resume (or CV) outlining those.

Supplements: After you complete the CommonApp, you will have access to the supplementary applications for all the colleges you've put on your list (all the ones you'd like to apply to). Harvard's, for instance, asks more questions about awards/achievements, whether you've ever had a family member attend, and two extra essays (one Why Harvard? and one on anything you want if I recall...). All of your supplements will be essentially like that.

SAT prep: Most top US students put in very little (if any) SAT prep (unless they're crazy or have crazy parents...even then, these kids tend not to get into top top schools). That being said, I have heard of British kids having a bit of trouble with the writing/reading sections so it's worth doing a bit of prep. I would say buy a prep book (some people swear by a specific one, it's really a preference thing so I'd look into yourself if I were you), read over it, get a feel for how the questions will be and for what kind of thing they're looking for in the Essay. Even amazing writers can score poorly in the essay if they don't write what the SAT wants, so this is especially important.

SAT timing: you want to leave enough time to take the test at least twice. I would take it the summer before you start your last year of sixth form (earlier if you feel comfortable). Most US students take it in spring of their Junior year (2nd to last year of high school). That leaves you the October test date if you need to take it again.

SAT IIs: These tests are relatively easy and subject based. Because you're British, you'll likely be specializing for A levels (either math/science heavy or english/history heavy). However, US unis want you to be "well rounded" so if you're taking all Math/Science A levels, I would recommend doing at least one English or History SATII (and vice versa). These should be taken again when you feel comfortable. If you're in the process of studying the course at A level (like Chem) I would take them Dec of your last year (gives you the most amount of time to learn the material that will be on the test) because they're relatively easy and almost no one retakes them. However, if you're worried about them I would go ahead and do 2 as soon as you feel comfortable (look at the type of questions/subject covered online at the College Board website). Then you can always take some more later if need be.

...that should be everything I think. Let me know if you need any more help.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Wow thank you for your help! That was exactly what I wanted :smile:
Original post by veryforeign
Okay

SAT prep: Most top US students put in very little (if any) SAT prep (unless they're crazy or have crazy parents...even then, these kids tend not to get into top top schools). That being said, I have heard of British kids having a bit of trouble with the writing/reading sections so it's worth doing a bit of prep. I would say buy a prep book (some people swear by a specific one, it's really a preference thing so I'd look into yourself if I were you), read over it, get a feel for how the questions will be and for what kind of thing they're looking for in the Essay. Even amazing writers can score poorly in the essay if they don't write what the SAT wants, so this is especially important.

OMG it's Goldfly again... anyways, this is very true that non US kids find a hard time doing the SAT because it's a test that only has multiple choices(expect section 1 writing). Since most of us arent trainned to do MCs when you're young, you will find a hard time getting it right. And you need to know A LOT of vocabulary!!!
For me personally I studied a lot just to get a above average score 1800.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Ok that is fine are the subject tests also multiple choice? Haha I ask quite a lot of questions don't I?

Quick Reply