The Student Room Group

When to start looking for a part time job when at uni?

I'm leaving for uni in mid September and I was wondering when would be the best time to look for a job. Should I start looking now and apply now or should I wait to get to my uni first?
You could start looking around now as some jobs start posting now for a mid september/october start.. but also, since it'll be your first year it's nice to have a bit of fun and settle in first. also, since most of the jobs will probably be taken up by 2nd/3rd years who applied last year, you might be better off waiting for christmas to roll around when they post new vacancies. also, if you get there you can get the feel of your Uni, which shops and business' that might be hiring are where and also, you can go to your student union and ask for some help :smile:
Reply 2
Personally I would leave it until you're settled in, this way you can get an idea of what hours you'll be able to work without it interfering with your studies and/or leaving you with no social life. You'll also know the area better so are less likely to apply somewhere then find you can't get there on time or it's in a dodgy area with no late buses etc. And the last thing you want to be doing is excluding yourself from Freshers' events / other stuff going on when everyone is still getting to know each other because you have to work.

I personally left it until February, though that was because in my previous job I had always been given loads of hours and found it difficult to get time off when I wanted it and I wanted one Christmas and my 21st weekend work-free. If it hadn't been for that I'd have probably started applying around November.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending