The Student Room Group

If you don't drink or have never been drunk, why?

Scroll to see replies

I've tried alcohol before but I've never had a proper drink, simply because I've not wanted to. I may do eventually but I don't ever want to be drunk, I've seen what it makes people do and I don't get why people think that's fun.
Original post by John Stuart Mill
no thank you i think i will take higher pleasures everytime
Said John Stuart Mill. Brilliant username choice for that comment!
Reply 62
I've never been drunk only ever tipsy and even then I was pretty sane lol. I guess I'm not really a lightweight, can tolerate my alcohol.
My friends on the other hand...:rolleyes: haha.
Reply 63
Original post by The Angry Stoic
If you don't drink or have never been drunk, why? Are you curious what its like to be drunk? If you have drank alcohol before but never been drunk why have you never gone the extra step? And for those of you who don't for religious reasons do you wish you could try it? Do you have any questions about drinking?

Remember, drinking and being drunk doesn't necessarily mean going clubbing and being sexually promiscuous. You could just sit at home putting away vodka shots while your family sit around you and some guy from social services goes on about an intervention or something...

I'm underaged and if I was of legal age and is on a party where you get drunk, I'm more than happy to laugh at what other drunkards do than getting myself drunk :smile:
Original post by So Instinct
Yes alcohol does. I don't get drunk the second I drink alcohol, it takes quite a few. Logic.

Depends on the drink! And how much I've ate and slept. I've had drinks go straight to my head. That's pretty fun :biggrin:
Original post by All-rounder
MRS GREN Dude...
Granted, I can't remember most of them but the basic things that all living things need to do...

You don't need to do them. The categorical imperative to live exists only in the mind :tongue:
Original post by Immortal110
i think getting drunk means to escape from real life.

I get drunk and have fun with my friends. What's more real than your friends?
Reply 67
Original post by keromedic
I'm underage. Yes. My questions: Is it worth it, do you guys/lasses just drink as an excuse to do socially unacceptable actions as you're under the influence?

You're underage? You mean, you're less than 5 years old? :s-smilie:

I drink because I find there is a greater variety of alcoholic drinks I enjoy compared to the standard 'fizzy pop' or just plain water. But I occasionally drink because it helps me to forget how uncomfortable I am in a number of social situations which I would nevertheless like to at least experience. Unfortunately, when sober I can't stop thinking about how shallow it all seems, so I drink just enough to suppress that for a few hours. :tongue:

I would still never do anything social unacceptable, and certainly never anything to hurt anyone else. I don't like it when people blame alcohol for poor behaviour; it's always your responsibility (unless you're drugged or whatnot) if you don't limit your intake and you know you're not a nice drunk.
Reply 68
I drink if there's alcohol that I actually like. I've never been drunk because I don't get drunk easily and I've never felt the need to force it.
I'm not particularly curious to know what it's like. If it happens, it happens.
Depends on the drink! And how much I've ate and slept. I've had drinks go straight to my head. That's pretty fun :biggrin:

Cider/ Vodka mixers.
I love food, always be munchin on fun nights out ;D
There is a big difference between trace and being drunk. I shouldn't have to explain this.. Facepalm..
Like I said the tipsy bit a few posts ago..

Like I said. If you don't have more fun when 'drunk', you're clearly not drunk. Alcohol affects us all the same.

Or you think your body is different to everyone elses in that alcohol has less of an effect on you?

Translation = I've had 2/3 pints then got bored on nights out
Reply 71
You can't beat getting high and drunk then going to a club its just euphoria
Reply 72
I really just have no interest in drinking and I guess I never joined in when all my friends started and haven't felt compelled to since. I can enjoy myself without it and after witnessing so many nights with people ending up on the floor/throwing up/crying/unconscious it makes it all even less appealing. I don't know if maybe I'd enjoy myself at parties a bit more if I did drink but tbh I enjoy myself anyway and don't end up having any lows or regrets or headaches in the morning!
I also do believe alcohol has some degree of placebo effect. For one thing, I feel a surge of confidence from simply having a cup in my hand at parties, regardless of what's in it.
If you don't drink or have never been drunk, why? Are you curious what its like to be drunk? If you have drank alcohol before but never been drunk why have you never gone the extra step? And for those of you who don't for religious reasons do you wish you could try it? Do you have any questions about drinking?

Remember, drinking and being drunk doesn't necessarily mean going clubbing and being sexually promiscuous. You could just sit at home putting away vodka shots while your family sit around you and some guy from social services goes on about an intervention or something...

Same reason I've never tried meth or coke. I don't need it.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Those drinks can be nice (but I wouldn't know where to start with the different wine types, I prefer white though).

Cocktails are a good choice too, again I'd feel clueless ordering it, do you just keep it simple or...?

Another thing, does it depend on what type of fruity tastes you like?

Hope you don't mind the questions!

To start all you need to know is there's red and there's white :smile:

There are classic cocktails like the martini and cosmopolitan, more modern, less sophisticated ones like Sex on the Beach a Purple Rain and some really foul ones I've seen in clubs called things like Screaming Orgasm and Skull F*cked. Try the middle type :smile:

The taste of alcohol doesn't really correspond to the fruit it's made out of very clearly.

I like questions :h:
Reply 75
Original post by fadytousa
Because I don't need to be drunk

It's not about necessity. You didn't need to post a comment in this thread, but you did.
I've just never fancied it really, but it may be because I like chemistry and I've been around ethanol and alcohols and smelling that in drinks seems odd to me cos I think of it as a chemical if that makes sense? I sometimes wonder what it's like to be drunk but I think of hangovers and how awful they sound and it puts me right off. Also I'm striving to have a perfect liver so that's why I'm not planning on taking up drinking lol
Original post by Dominic Hurst
Like I said. If you don't have more fun when 'drunk', you're clearly not drunk. Alcohol affects us all the same.

Or you think your body is different to everyone elses in that alcohol has less of an effect on you?

Translation = I've had 2/3 pints then got bored on nights out

I've been drunk and don't like it that much in comparison to just being tipsy.. I've been saying this from the start. How is that so hard to understand?
Cider/ Vodka mixers.
I love food, always be munchin on fun nights out ;D

Eatin's cheatin' mate... :dry:
Reply 79
I come from a slightly different perspective, I have been drunk a couple of times and now don't excessively drink mainly because it's the worst thing ever. I get horrific mood swings before throwing up, falling asleep and remembering everything the next morning. That was almost 3 years ago. I do have a drink now, but limit myself as I really don't care for the effects of alcohol, I just enjoy the taste of a good cider :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest