The Student Room Group

Do you like your accent?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Infinity_4652
Like all other londoners, I have a cockney accent and I quite like it.

I have never in my entire life had a proper convo with an american or scottish person, but I think they're awesome!

I spoke to a couple of west midlanders who I met cambridge and I like them too.

I think I like every accent!! :tongue:

Not all Londoners have cockney accents, that's really just east london!
Reply 61
I've only got a weak midlands accent so I don't mind mine but when I hear people with strong black country accents I cringe, it's horrible.
Mine's just a generic middle-class London accent, I don't really mind it but it's a bit dull.
Generic American accent since I've never lived there but have been around American people for a large part of my life. I don't like listening to my voice on video because it sounds quite childish and annoying in my opinion. Seems deeper and less stupid when it's coming from my own point of view.
Reply 65
Mine's okay, it's not very strong, just generic Cheshire. Sort of a very soft Manchester accent, but it does get stronger when I'm drunk or with my Manchester friends. :tongue:
Mine trumps all of yours, no joke, what a mess I am :tongue:

Anyone seen The Valleys? I'm from the same place as the dippy red haired girl. My voice sounds like it's bouncing on a trampoline or something. People from Neath, which is a 20 minute drive, comment on my "valley voice". When I went to the open day at my uni, I really didn't want to talk, I was the only Welsh person there and I felt ridiculously stupid.
Reply 67
I'm not that fond of my accent.
I have a standard, boring "normal" English accent and I hate it. I want something more interesting.
Original post by DDT10
I hate my American voice. Despise it. Detest it. I'm not even American for crying out loud! I only went there once too! For a week! This day and age girls are fawning over "British" (ehem, English), Irish, continental European and Aussie accents. I was born in the wrong era :frown:

As for Scottish accents? Love 'em. It goes well with a career in comedy :lol:

How did you pick up a permanent American accent after going once for one week?
Reply 70
I've got an odd accent - it's mostly English, but there are a few words I say which sound almost Australian, and other words with more than one "r" which sound Spanish.
Reply 71
Original post by CoolCat94
How did you pick up a permanent American accent after going once for one week?

I already said this before to someone else: I picked up the accent waaaay before I went to the US for a week :smile:
Reply 72
I have a LANDAN accent, I wish I knew how to change it though.
Original post by DDT10
I already said this before to someone else: I picked up the accent waaaay before I went to the US for a week :smile:

Oh right - sounded a bit odd!
I don't have a regional accent, I'm not really sure what you would call mine. I say "bath" instead of "barth" so I guess it has a slightly northern tinge to it. I neither like nor dislike it :P
Reply 75
I don't have much of an accent - I didn't grow up with one, but while I was at uni, the Norfolk accent rubbed off on me (and I'll be honest, I wanted it to. I bloody love the Norfolk accent.) I've been away for three years now and it's worn away, I'm back to not having an accent... I would like to go back to Norwich at some point so maybe I'll get it back later in life.

My brother is the same - grew up without an accent, moved to Wales and sounds more Welsh every time I speak to him. I think it's cute, Mum hates it!
Reply 76
Original post by shuheb789
I really don't like mine, I have quite an English accent, and I'm Asian so it really doesn't work well as people just look shocked when they hear it.

Haha, it's the same thing with me. I have quite a posh British accent, so people are slightly shocked when I speak as I am also Asian...However I dress quite poshly anyways so its fitting- If you see what I mean ...
Reply 77
Original post by Aries1992
No. I never think I sound scouse but when I go somewhere outside of
Liverpool, people say its strong.

Hearing myself on video is the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel your pain! I come from Merseyside so I have a mild scouse accent with hints of St Helens 'wool' in it. At uni in Manchester I get called a Scouser all the time... and then come home and get called a Manc so I guess I can't win :')

Would rather have a London accent myself :/
Reply 78
Lived in the UK since 7 years, moved there from Germany when I was 13 - so here's my accent:

[video="youtube;juFZh92MUOY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juFZh92MUOY[/video]
Reply 79
I have a 'soft' Scottish accent,being raised in Edinburgh. I barely register that I have an accent at all until I go anywhere outside of my local area and then people notice it. I was in Glasgow recently and several people asked if I was English. Hmm.

Quick Reply

Latest