The Student Room Group

Fast tracking A levels, taking AS and A2 in one year, can i still get into Oxbridge?

Sorry for all the writing!

In GCSE I got 7 a*'s and 5 a's. I have always aimed to go to Oxbridge

But for my first year of college, AS, I had a bad infection which caused me to miss a lot of lessons. I was hospitalised for a while and my attendance for college was about 70%.

I was infected for about 7 months, and I was always tired and worn out, which made it very hard for me to revise.

My AS results did not come back very well.
Maths - A (254/300)
Physics - C (very high C)
Product design - C
Further Maths - D (very high D)

So I'll have to apple to uni with these grades, so not many universities will be interested in me, never mind Oxbridge.

Next Year I was thinking of taking A2 Maths, A2 Further Maths, A2 Physics, AS Physics and AS Further Maths. This would give me another chance to get good grades, I know I'll have to work a bit harder, but I've already learnt the full syllabi, ill just be re-doing it.

My questions are:
Am I allowed to study AS again next year?
Can I study these 5 lessons, as well as studying general studies?
Can I still get into Oxbridge or have I lost my chance?
Will they take into account that I was sick?
Reply 1
:frown:
You can resit your AS modules whilst learning the A2 stuff and then hopefully come out with good grades at the end of year 13. Then you should apply to uni with your achieved grades. You could apply to ok unis this year but if your dream is to get into a top uni like oxford then I would wait a bit
How about resitting the AS year? Considering you were in hospital for 4 months those are great grades and you could likely do much better with resits, and Oxbridge and other top unis would be fine with the resitting considering you were so sick. As opposed to resitting most of your AS along with A2, the pressure of which could easily make you ill again.

Quick Reply

Latest