The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Japanese students, where we at?!

Will anyone else be studying to glorious language of Nippon come September?

I'm doing a combined Japanese/Spanish degree. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am Doing Asia Pacific studies, With Japanese :biggrin:
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Zeithia
I am Doing Asia Pacific studies, With Japanese :biggrin:

Woo! *high fives enthusiastically*

How much can you speak/read/write as it stands? I can only read/write both kanas, wondering if I've got my work cut out for me. :frown:
Reply 3
Don't worry! The course is from Beginners level ^^ so you could start from nothing and get by, but i think knowing the Kana will help a lot, I have done a Beginners Japanese course at my local uni, It is probably at the sort of level as the JLPT N5 ( so only a low level) I know some Kanji, but not huge amounts :smile:
Hi all,

I'm taking Asia Pacific Studies with Japanese! :smile:

I am half-japanese, half english. Born in England, have been learning the language since I was 8/9 years old under my full-japanese mum's guidance. I already have some qualifications in GCSE and A-Level Japanese! :smile:

I've visited Japan numerous times, usually during the summer holidays. Although I'm into the main locations/attractions and the modern culture, my primary interest is watching Anime! :v

I'm looking forward to completing my fluency in Japanese, as well as immersing myself in the culture, history, etc. I also can't wait to meet plenty of enlightened minds I can relate to! ;3
Reply 5
Hi FlickerWick and rest of you!

I am not majoring in Japanese (I am doing APS with Korean), but I think I'll take it as an elective, since I have loved Japanese popculture (manga, cosplay, j-music, fashion...) and tradional culture for a long time. I am not good at the language yet. I know kanas and some basic grammar, but that's about it. I am also excited, because there seems to be anime and manga society in UCLan, I'll definitely be in there. Haha. (*⌒∇⌒*)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm a current student doing Japanese and TESOL, I'm also one of the Induction Mentors so you'll probably see me at the events during Freshers.

The course is a complete beginners, but you'll get a good head start and probably put into the faster class if you know both Hirigana and Katakana already. If you have a GCSE or A-level in it you can be pushed into year 2 classes for your first year, and year 4 classes for your 2nd year.
We have an APS Japanese/Korean/Chinese group chat on facebook if anyone would like to join (:
Reply 8
Original post by Vaelant
I'm a current student doing Japanese and TESOL, I'm also one of the Induction Mentors so you'll probably see me at the events during Freshers.

The course is a complete beginners, but you'll get a good head start and probably put into the faster class if you know both Hirigana and Katakana already. If you have a GCSE or A-level in it you can be pushed into year 2 classes for your first year, and year 4 classes for your 2nd year.

Hi i'm starting TESOL and Japanese this year, I was wondering, will you get a higher degree level in Japanese if you're put in faster classes? I know the two kana and a lot of kanji aswell as grammar, pronunciation and ability to hold a basic convo... do you think i'll be able to be put into faster classes even if i dont have a gcse or alevel in the language?
Reply 9
I'll be doing Asia Pacific Studies, although I'm having to go through the foundation route which is frustrating. I'm excited to get started though.
Original post by HolyNightmare
Hi all,

I'm taking Asia Pacific Studies with Japanese! :smile:

I am half-japanese, half english. Born in England, have been learning the language since I was 8/9 years old under my full-japanese mum's guidance. I already have some qualifications in GCSE and A-Level Japanese! :smile:

I've visited Japan numerous times, usually during the summer holidays. Although I'm into the main locations/attractions and the modern culture, my primary interest is watching Anime! :v

I'm looking forward to completing my fluency in Japanese, as well as immersing myself in the culture, history, etc. I also can't wait to meet plenty of enlightened minds I can relate to! ;3

Thats amazing *_* You will have a lot of support then, especially from your mum (: I've been wanting to go to Japan for so many years but my family are not interested.. So I have had to suffer haha u_u

Have you had a look at the optional modules? Have you thought of which you may choose? ^^
Original post by Agugrom
I'll be doing Asia Pacific Studies, although I'm having to go through the foundation route which is frustrating. I'm excited to get started though.

From what I have heard, the foundation route can be good because you have a year to get a hang of the language in preparation for starting the course, you don't need to worry about being seperated from us who are starting the full 4 year course, I'm sure everyone can meet up somehow, especially if you joined the Japanese Society. ^^
I'm doing APS with Japanese! :smile:
Original post by Ice Dragon
I'm doing APS with Japanese! :smile:

Woo! Its great seeing more and more people studying APS Japanese (: do you have a facebook? ^^
Original post by Raychie_Dee
Woo! Its great seeing more and more people studying APS Japanese (: do you have a facebook? ^^

Yes, I'm in the group chat - just got added today! I believe I'm the only Abbie in there :smile:
Original post by Ice Dragon
Yes, I'm in the group chat - just got added today! I believe I'm the only Abbie in there :smile:

Oh right! Sorry I have been asking everyone because I just want to be able to talk with everyone before we start in September (':
Reply 16
Hi all, i'm also doing APS with Japanese but i got in through clearing after i had to change my original plan to do an extra year at my Sixth Form, so i'm currently juggling every aspect of starting uni while trying to learn some basic kana
:grin:
I'm doing APS with Japanese too! Really excited to start, I did a beginner's course at my last uni for a bit so I hope I've got a good foundation to go on - although I'm pretty sure I need to brush up on my katakana a bit hahah. Where's everyone staying? :smile:
Reply 18
I've just sent my accommodation application off but hoping to get into IQ Preston with a friend from school, yourself? Also, is there a chat on messenger that anybody is aware of/responsible for? It'd be nice to get to know everyone beforehand :cyber:
ahh awesome, it'll be cool to have someone you know living with you! I just got a room offer for Lawson Halls today :smile: and I'm not in any group chat myself but I'd be up for joining one too haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending