The Student Room Group

Religious studies at Chester or Sociology and Cultural studies at Sussex? :/

I can't take a year out, I'm mentally prepared to do this NOW.

I can't even decide what to have for my lunch most days, how do you expect me to work out what I want for the next three years of my life?! >:

If someone could just be like...

''SUSSEX WAS THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE EVUHHH!'' or ''SUSSEX MADE ME WANNA KILL MYSELF'' I'd really appreciate that.

I just want to be happy whilst carving some sort of promising future for myself. Religious studies? Yes I like it- but will it get me the sort of job I really want (if you don't wanna be a teacher...)
Whereas sociology I adore and the cultural side of things is great too- it allows me to keep doing what i'm good at (writing pseudo-intellectual essays about silly stuff- please see ''I'm Eve in the Garden of Eden, and he's the serpent; The fantasy Role of BDSM in Contemporary female culture").

I'm loosing sleep about ending up living in poverty too, it's pretty expensive living down south.
You told us that you'd firmed Sussex, and you received some other good advice in this thread here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2436734

I was down in Brighton a few days ago and it was lovely - beach, all sorts of fashionable little shops, a pier and great nightlife. Chester is very historic and touristy, and not somewhere I'd really choose to go tbh.

With regards to being poor, it's not that much more expensive down south for the most part. Have you checked out the bursaries that Sussex give?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Although Sussex was firmed, chester were very willing to swap me back.

It's a huge leap, but it is the course I want, so I'm going to stick with it. :smile:
Go to Sussex. Its a glorious student town with the advantage of being by the seaside and 50 mins from London by train. The Uni is fantastic - a wonderful community and an extraordinary mixed student population. It has an excellent reputation for Social Sciences.

Chester doesnt have a reputation for anything, is a tiny town where nothing happens and for years after you graduate people will be asking you 'Uni of where?'.

Go to Sussex - you wont regret it.
Reply 4
I went to an open day at Sussex and it was really nice. I think Sussex uni and the course they're offering will give you better opportunities when you graduate too.
Reply 5
I stuck with Sussex, still so nervous, the quicker it starts the better!
Everyone else is nervous right now - so you arent alone. And feeling anxious/excited is VERY normal.

Once you get there and get started it'll all fall into place. A couple of weeks into term and you'll wonder what you were so worried about - promise.

Enjoy living in Brighton!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending