The Student Room Group

Sit UKCAT before submitting UCAS?

Hey, I would just like to ask if it is compulsory to sit the UKCAT before submitting UCAS for medicine applications?

I'd assume there is a place to enter UKCAT score on UCAS, what if I haven't done it yet?

Thanks for future replies!
Reply 1
No. You don't have to. After the testing period is over, they'll send it automatically to your universities that you applied to.
It's just, as I said, more expensive and you can pick better.
I don't know whether it's worth preparing for it asides from maybe doing the online test a few times.
I downloaded the android app and did the situational judgement tests a bit, then did the online test the night before and walked into the testing room.
Depends on what you feel like doing. Some people will spend a lot of time practising for it.
Reply 2
Original post by Redsaw
No. You don't have to. After the testing period is over, they'll send it automatically to your universities that you applied to.
It's just, as I said, more expensive and you can pick better.
I don't know whether it's worth preparing for it asides from maybe doing the online test a few times.
I downloaded the android app and did the situational judgement tests a bit, then did the online test the night before and walked into the testing room.
Depends on what you feel like doing. Some people will spend a lot of time practising for it.

Ahh! How did your UKCAT go in the end, I think you get the result the day you sit it? Do you think its harder or easier than the BMAT? Right now I have UKCAT booked at September 17th, but for Cambridge to interview me at Australia I need to submit UCAS at September 20 instead of October 15th. Thus, I think I will move UKCAT to September 11th, so I have 9 days to apply to universities after I get my results.

Thanks for your advice!.
Reply 3
Original post by Bomb
Ahh! How did your UKCAT go in the end, I think you get the result the day you sit it? Do you think its harder or easier than the BMAT? Right now I have UKCAT booked at September 17th, but for Cambridge to interview me at Australia I need to submit UCAS at September 20 instead of October 15th. Thus, I think I will move UKCAT to September 11th, so I have 9 days to apply to universities after I get my results.

Thanks for your advice!.

I did no preparation for either pretty much, so in my case, the BMAT was definitely harder. The BMAT you can probably study for a lot more than the UKCAT. But again, I have no clue.
Maybe you should move it up, but can't you sit it before the end of August? Or is it all booked out or something? Or you want to practise?
Fair enough, as long as you have it before submission of UCAS date so you can apply to something other than KCL if it doesn't go too well.

The BMAT I did really bad in last year, and UKCAT I got ~700 average. This year I got 813.5 average. I'm pretty happy about it.
They give you the results straight after the test, which is nice in a way, bad in another.
Reply 4
Original post by Redsaw
I did no preparation for either pretty much, so in my case, the BMAT was definitely harder. The BMAT you can probably study for a lot more than the UKCAT. But again, I have no clue.
Maybe you should move it up, but can't you sit it before the end of August? Or is it all booked out or something? Or you want to practise?
Fair enough, as long as you have it before submission of UCAS date so you can apply to something other than KCL if it doesn't go too well.

The BMAT I did really bad in last year, and UKCAT I got ~700 average. This year I got 813.5 average. I'm pretty happy about it.
They give you the results straight after the test, which is nice in a way, bad in another.

Ahh both are exceptionally good scores! May I just ask how did you find the situational judgment parts, and did you find the new UKCAT easier?
Reply 5
Original post by Bomb
Ahh both are exceptionally good scores! May I just ask how did you find the situational judgment parts, and did you find the new UKCAT easier?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356&page=245&p=44106918&posted=1#post44106918

Just check this. I wrote up what I thought about the test.
:smile: Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending