The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

well if anything the thread has posed the question 'How Argumentative Are Leeds Students?'

and answered it.

conclusively. :biggrin:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 41
at the end of the day all of it is just banter.. the number of times ive seen on txt-to-screen things (baja, library) mention of the divide.. which is quite funny when my friends and i are texting when we're from like kent and sunderland.. lol

it should just be banter anyways:

In the end it does't matter where you come from as long as it aint from Up North!!!!!!!!!!!

well, ermm as larry said, ur from london.. thus being from kent i must be one of the few ppl in england u must accept..

and i did go to a grammar school.. but in my town it's either that or the comprehensives that barely anyone goes to uni afterwards (unless they moved to my school for the sixth form [or the girls school]).. so i dont see the big issue with grammar schools.. we had the 11 plus (which so ive been told is only in Kent and a few other counties..) but if you didn't get in.. ur chances weren't great!

As for private schools, ermm in my course of 200 or so, I've so far met 1 who was from a private school, lovely gal mind.
*Freshers tourettes* what course you on mate?
Reply 43
Hurricane_Herd
leeds much like the people coming from ther....i.e alan smith, are pretty rough. however, in all cities ther are good and bad areas.

If Leeds is rough then whats Hull? Your just jealous that you dont come from such an up and coming city.

Im from Leeds and proud of it. Im told that Im posh Leeds. Leeds is the best city in England outside London.
Reply 44
jonnypicasso
I cant stand northern people thinking that all southerners or londoners are rahs. From my experience 90% of the northerners at uni are rahs, trying to act hard taking the piss out of southerners because there from up north, mugs. Half you northerners at leeds are a bunch of gimps who give it large to southerners from private schools and then when you meet somebody from a rough part of London you bum them and you dont take the piss. ahrrggghhh hate fake northern working class wannabes. jumping on the we hate southerners line. *****!!!

What the heck is a rah?

Also....

What the heck are you talking about?

Im from Leeds and go to Uni near London. Yeah there is a bit of northern/southern banter - nothern monkey/southern fairy. Its life. I have never taken the piss out of a southern who went to a private school and know no nothern who has. Have never heard anyone say that they hate southerners. Get your facts right mate.
Reply 45
Our city takes on far too many posh southerners, who also need to stop venturing further and further into Headingley.
Reply 46
Hurricane_Herd
leeds much like the people coming from ther....i.e alan smith, are pretty rough. however, in all cities ther are good and bad areas.

You absolute spiv.
Reply 47
I get so infuriated by reading all this stuff about Northerners. I'm from just outside of Newcastle (have you been there? It's wonderful) and am hoping to go to Leeds in September.

I'm from a public school, and yes.. I happen to have applied to stay in Devonshire. Not everyone from up North are rough, nor do they criticise Southerners. I've got a lot of really good friends who I know from the South.
To the origianl poster and anyone worried about rahs.

I went to Leeds a few years ago and I can honestly say it's a very friendly university. Everyone is down-to-earth/normal.

Yes, there are a few private school/middle class students just like any top uni., but the few private school/middle class students are extremely down-to-earth. I lived with a boy who comes from a very affluent background and went to private school but he wasn't snobbish in any way whatsoever and I mert many people like him.

so please don't be put off by rahs and makre sure you apply to Leeds cos it's a brilliant uni. I'll guarantee you'll have a wicked time and make firends form all kinds of races/ backgrounds.
Reply 49
calamitymaud
well if anything the thread has posed the question 'How Argumentative Are Leeds Students?'

and answered it.

conclusively. :biggrin:

so true. lol
Reply 50
Anyone who wants to avoid toffs dont stay in Devonshire. Its actully hilarious just how many are in that place. Its like Eton.
Why would, I ask, Leeds be THAT posh if it's a Northern working-class industrial city? Is it like Manchester, just striving to be Southern?
Heh, Leeds isn't posh, it's all a bit 'new money', y'dig? It's like a town that's lived on a council estate all it's life but has now got a bit of money and moved to a semi in the the suburbs and now looks down on all the towns it used to know back in the day...I mean it thinks it's good cos it has a Harvey Nicks branch in its gaudy shopping centre whilst most of the suburbs rot in ASBO hell...oh and the clubs are full of sneering scenesters who are unaware of how pathetic and parochial they look to someone from London. Headingley is full of braying moneyed public school tw4ts who wind up the locals just by breathing, whilst the poorer kids have to live in Hyde Park in less salubrious accomodation which is constantly burgled as all the local scallies know students never lock their doors. And the park itself is talked about in hushed tones, esp. about what happens there after dark...I'll post more as I reclaim my repressed memories of the place
Reply 53
why does it matter whether or not people went to private or state schools? Everyone's different so you're bound to meet nice people who went to either and vice versa. You can't really generalise and say that because someone went to such-and-such school they'll behave in a certain way. And if some people are snobby, just don't talk to them! i'm sure they're in the minority
it matters because public school kids don't get a better education, they get a bizarre master race mentality which can be a tad grating on those of us who didn't go to school with the fotherington-ffarquhar-deVeres of this world
Reply 55
but you can't just make a sweeping statement like that cos they're not all the same. I know quite a lot of private school people who I get along with just fine, they don't treat me any differently to their private school friends
how decent of them to accept the token prole as an equal then!

back to leeds, i once got fined £50 for dropping a fag butt by the SU building once which i think aptly demonstrates the insecurity of the council over their new-found reputation that they should resort to such pettiness
Reply 57
surely however that is a standard littering fine.. u get that in the south and in the north..?
Reply 58
D to the G
how decent of them to accept the token prole as an equal then!

back to leeds, i once got fined £50 for dropping a fag butt by the SU building once which i think aptly demonstrates the insecurity of the council over their new-found reputation that they should resort to such pettiness

Gutted, serves you ****ing right.
Reply 59
D to the G
Heh, Leeds isn't posh, it's all a bit 'new money', y'dig? It's like a town that's lived on a council estate all it's life but has now got a bit of money and moved to a semi in the the suburbs and now looks down on all the towns it used to know back in the day...I mean it thinks it's good cos it has a Harvey Nicks branch in its gaudy shopping centre whilst most of the suburbs rot in ASBO hell...oh and the clubs are full of sneering scenesters who are unaware of how pathetic and parochial they look to someone from London. Headingley is full of braying moneyed public school tw4ts who wind up the locals just by breathing, whilst the poorer kids have to live in Hyde Park in less salubrious accomodation which is constantly burgled as all the local scallies know students never lock their doors. And the park itself is talked about in hushed tones, esp. about what happens there after dark...I'll post more as I reclaim my repressed memories of the place

You know sweet f.a. about leeds. Guy gets a fine for littering and leeds turns into his worst enemy. Get a life, or **** off.

Latest