The Student Room Group

UCAS personal statement - work experience and skills

I am curious to know what you guys have done in terms of work experience or other extra curricular activities to give you that upper edge when writing you personal statement.
Also any skills/ extra knowledge that will benefit your course

If you would like to share your attributes include what course you would like to study at university :smile: .

---------------------

I want to study computer science at university and I have done alot of personal programming projects at home with my computer. one example is a simple calculator i programmed

I am quite annoyed i haven't been able to find any relevant work experience to the field i want to study in. I have been told time and time again its only mandatory to have W.E for medicine but I'm not sure if this will be a disadvantage for me :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
definately not a disadvantage for you, universities appreciate that it is a lot more difficult to find work experience for some courses than others.
If you still want something to give you the upper hand, try volunteering in charity events or anything similar (:
Reply 2
Its hard finding relevant work experience, let alone insightful ones where you actually get your hands dirty with the job, as many would go to the high demanding graduates. Well Work experience is just one minute way of showing your interested in the subject, many other ways as well.

I guess the only 'unique' thing i got, is being one of the heads of a gardening thingy which we started last year. Already built some new beds after applying for grants and laying out the plans to the responsible heads of the grounds :smile:

I'm boring, but i hope that my PStatement will just be one which shows a lot of critical thinking and tells the reader im very interested in my subject. Nothing exactly new in terms of content, but it will hopefully (Fingers crossed) get the job done!
I'm a physics applicant, I have a bit of engineering work experience which I'll put in if I have space but other than that it's just pharmacy, which is completely irrelevant. However, I'm also applying to some physics and music courses, so I've obviously got a lot of relevant ECs and stuff for music :smile:
I have no clue where to find work exp, and I'm starting my application soon.

Hmm, maybe the best way is to get some charity volunteer work before then?
Reply 5
Original post by Jkizer
Its hard finding relevant work experience, let alone insightful ones where you actually get your hands dirty with the job, as many would go to the high demanding graduates. Well Work experience is just one minute way of showing your interested in the subject, many other ways as well.

I guess the only 'unique' thing i got, is being one of the heads of a gardening thingy which we started last year. Already built some new beds after applying for grants and laying out the plans to the responsible heads of the grounds :smile:

I'm boring, but i hope that my PStatement will just be one which shows a lot of critical thinking and tells the reader im very interested in my subject. Nothing exactly new in terms of content, but it will hopefully (Fingers crossed) get the job done!

Original post by furryface12
I'm a physics applicant, I have a bit of engineering work experience which I'll put in if I have space but other than that it's just pharmacy, which is completely irrelevant. However, I'm also applying to some physics and music courses, so I've obviously got a lot of relevant ECs and stuff for music :smile:

Great at least you guys got something to put down!

Original post by Lord Frieza
I have no clue where to find work exp, and I'm starting my application soon.

Hmm, maybe the best way is to get some charity volunteer work before then?

I considered that but the very high end unis wont care about that stuff i hear XD
but some high end would like to see you are committed and do at least some community work which charity volunteering will help
but I'm not sure anymore looool
Reply 6
Universities will understand that getting work experience often depends on luck and who you know. If you write about your experiences in the right way, it doesn't necessarily matter how relevant it is. Try thinking about some skills that you need for the course as well as qualities the universities might like and see if you can link them to your hobbies and work.

For example, if you play a sport you could talk about how it has taught you the importance of determination and working effectively as a team.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest