The Student Room Group

Chemical attacks kill hundreds

Chemical weapons attacks have killed hundreds on the outskirts of Damascus, Syrian opposition activists say.

Rockets with toxic agents were launched at the suburbs of the Ghouta region early on Wednesday as part of a major bombardment on rebel forces, they say.

The Syrian army says the accusations have been fabricated to cover up rebel losses.

The main opposition alliance said that more than 1,000 people were killed by the attacks.

Activist networks also reported death tolls in the hundreds, but these could not be independently confirmed.

It is also not clear how many died in the bombardment of the sites and how many deaths were due to any exposure to toxic substances.

Video footage showed dozens of bodies with no visible signs of injuries, including small children, laid out on the floor of a clinic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23777201

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They're doing the same thing. No sympathy here.
Both sides are equally disgusting here.
Who things stinks of a false flag. Just as UN inspectors arrive in Syria

[video="youtube;bSAMT5Pe15k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSAMT5Pe15k[/video]
[video="youtube;OFl0oRS2eA8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFl0oRS2eA8[/video]
Reply 4
Israel and the US are behind the chemical attacks. There just so happen to be chemical attacks when the UN come in to investigate chemical weapon use? wake up people.UN is corrupt and not fit for purpose.
Reply 5
That reminds me of atomic bombs in Japan during World War 2. Wars never end. Lasting peace never be found.
Reply 6
Original post by TobyLarone
Israel and the US are behind the chemical attacks. There just so happen to be chemical attacks when the UN come in to investigate chemical weapon use? wake up people.UN is corrupt and not fit for purpose.

Firstly the US does not have a chemical weapons program nor has it since the 50's or so. Secondly assuming Israel did have a chemical weapons program, how would they have managed to launch a rocket attack on Syria (since that's how this attack apparently happened.) without anyone in Syria noticing since they have a pretty advanced air defense system.

Thirdly Occam razor. What is more likely? A secret plot by Israel and the US to pin a chemical weapons attack on Assad further discrediting his regime so they can do what? Invade something neither country wants? Or people able to point to Assad as a bad man? Something they can do already? No it's far more likely this was Assad, a dictator, know for his disregard for human life launched a large attack on his own population. I'd even put more stock in this being a rebel attack (though that seems very unlikely). Unless they somehow got hold of vast quantities of Sarin and the rockets to fire it...

If anyone else but Assad was responsible for this attack then why won't he let those UN inspectors into the site? Why does he not say there has been a large theft of chemical weapons? Surely if his government was not responsible for this attack then he should be doing everything to clear his name, which he is not.
A couple of years ago I would have scoffed at you saying it is a false flag. But both sides in this mess, just like many others in the region seem to be capable of any atrocity to further their cause. Wafa Sultan says that they (Muslim Arabs) love death in the same way we love life. She may have something there.
Reply 8
Original post by TobyLarone

This is a stupid comment. The U.S. has nothing to gain. Even worse, the U.S. actually losses here because of its' inability to act despite the "red line" being crossed. Obama made statements prior to the previous chemical attack in Syria which suggested that the U.S. would be forced to take military action if chemical weapons were used. This is now the second use of such weapons and the U.S. does nothing. Americans have battle fatigue, and the world knows it.

This second attack is a direct reflection of an international community that has little to no fear of American intervention. Celebrate that development if you want, but it comes with its' own consequences. Syria is not a U.S. problem, it is a global problem. So let us see the globe try to fix it.
Reply 11
Doesn't even feel like it's worth discussing. When our first reaction to events like this is to roll our eyes you know it's probably never going to get better. The entire middle east is ruined, as previously stated both sides are as bad as each other. Leave them to killing each other whilst we wait for our new Xbox's and Playstation's.
Reply 12
Muslims killing Muslims

The rebels have everything to gain from this and nothing to lose

The government have everything to lose and nothing to gain

a curse on them all
Original post by BOtish
I do not care :smile:

What is that

K thx for letting us all know.

Read it and maybe you'll find out.
Reply 14
Original post by IdeasForLife
K thx for letting us all know.

Your welcome

Read it and maybe you'll find out.

Is it related to this topic
Original post by BOtish
Your welcome

Is it related to this topic

Yes.
Reply 16
Original post by IdeasForLife
Yes.

I do not care then :smile:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/22/syria-george-galloway-israel-chemical-weapons_n_3799287.htmlHe's right but it's not just Israel it's America, Britain and all these terrorist supporting countries.
I think the rebels used the gas and it's too bvious where they get chemical weapons from. The same people who train the rebels and give them firearms. Israel/USA/Britain and other western countries. China seems very neutral in all of this but I think they're on Assad's side along with Russia and Iran. I think this could lead to WW3, this is what they want another world war to profit from.
Both as bad as each other. I'm waiting for the West to intervene soon though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending