The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by t()m
Score 26/27 :smile: this is my 'safest choice" of course nothing is safe with medicine.

They better not raise it to 27
Really excited now. Just want it to be October 16th so no Ps worries :P

How did you work that out? I couldn't find anything on the university selection procedures web page about scoring systems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by James!!
How did you work that out? I couldn't find anything on the university selection procedures web page about scoring systems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 a*
2 a
1 b

Top. 9 gcses scores, must include core subjects:smile:
Reply 62
This is a lovely thread to read :smile:

Would you be able to help on questions from a mature student looking to apply to the 6 year course on the back of an Access to Science course, or would that be a bit too outside the box? To be honest, I'm waiting on a reply from the uni admissions team (who passed it on to the Sub Dean) and just getting a little nervy - had my UKCAT today and it went well, but it won't mean Jack if I don't meet the other criteria (not that it's too important for Cardiff anyway, I guess :smile: )
Reply 63
Original post by SocksRock
This is a lovely thread to read :smile:

Would you be able to help on questions from a mature student looking to apply to the 6 year course on the back of an Access to Science course, or would that be a bit too outside the box? To be honest, I'm waiting on a reply from the uni admissions team (who passed it on to the Sub Dean) and just getting a little nervy - had my UKCAT today and it went well, but it won't mean Jack if I don't meet the other criteria (not that it's too important for Cardiff anyway, I guess :smile: )

Glad you're finding it useful. In all honesty in terms of admissions I only really know anything about the A100 course. But if there's anything you want to know about the course, the uni or Cardiff itself then fire away! :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by Elwyn
Glad you're finding it useful. In all honesty in terms of admissions I only really know anything about the A100 course. But if there's anything you want to know about the course, the uni or Cardiff itself then fire away! :smile:

Cheers chap :smile: Sorry to be a bit mature-centric, but are there any mature students on the course? If so, how do you find they fit in?
Reply 65
Cheers chap :smile: Sorry to be a bit mature-centric, but are there any mature students on the course? If so, how do you find they fit in?

There are a fair few. I'm not sure of an exact number but I'm guessing at least 10, probably more. They fit in just fine and mix with the younger students both in lectures and socially.
Reply 66
Original post by Elwyn
There are a fair few. I'm not sure of an exact number but I'm guessing at least 10, probably more. They fit in just fine and mix with the younger students both in lectures and socially.

That's great, thank you so much! :biggrin:
Reply 67
Original post by Elwyn

Hello Elwyn, do you have much information on how graduates are selected for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by Elwyn
X.

Hey I think I might have met you on the medic open day ages ago :P so hi

Anyway I just wanted to know if you knew if interview selection was random or like all 27s, then 26s.... Etc ?
Reply 69
Original post by James!!
Hello Elwyn, do you have much information on how graduates are selected for?

Hey. You should probably have a good read through the admissions policy (which can be found here http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/media/filer/2013/07/23/admissionspolicy_2014-15.pdf). Here are some of the main points I've pulled from it:

'Graduate applicants are welcome to apply for admission to either the 5-year (A100) or the 6-year (A104) programmes, according to their previous academic experience in the sciences. They will be expected to have, or to achieve, at least an upper second class Honours classification in the first degree that they have taken. Academic qualifications obtained before entering university will also be taken into account in the assessment of graduate applications. N.B. as of the 2014/15 cycle, all graduate applicants will be required to sit the GAMSAT examination prior to applying, in order for their application to be considered.'

'Graduate applicants should have achieved a minimum of grade ‘B’ in GCSE Mathematics plus grade ‘B’ in GCSE English Language or Welsh First Language. At GCE A2 Level, they are expected to have achieved a minimum of ‘BBB’ grades. Graduates should have either Chemistry and Biology at A2 Level or have studied a degree course that provides a sufficient base in these sciences.
Graduate applicants must have, or expect to achieve, an upper second class Honours classification in their first degree.
Science graduates who do not hold GCE A2 Level qualifications in Biology or Chemistry may be considered for the A100 programme. They will be required to provide details of specific modules from their degree courses and will then be considered individually by the Sub Dean. Further details can be obtained from the Admissions Office.
Graduates who do not have the appropriate science background may be considered for the A104 (6 year ) Foundation Programme.'

Original post by t()m
Hey I think I might have met you on the medic open day ages ago :P so hi

Anyway I just wanted to know if you knew if interview selection was random or like all 27s, then 26s.... Etc ?

:hi:

I can't seem to see anything about that in the admissions policy. What you need to remember is that your academic score will be combined with a non-academic score to give you your overall score and ranking. Therefore a higher GCSE points score doesn't mean you'll be higher than everyone who had a lower GCSE points score than you. They'll then interview the top X number of candidates (usually around 1000). Whether or not they invite those with the highest overall score first and work their way down the list I'm not sure.
Reply 70
Original post by Elwyn
Hey. You should probably have a good read through the admissions policy (which can be found here http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/media/filer/2013/07/23/admissionspolicy_2014-15.pdf). Here are some of the main points I've pulled from it:

'Graduate applicants are welcome to apply for admission to either the 5-year (A100) or the 6-year (A104) programmes, according to their previous academic experience in the sciences. They will be expected to have, or to achieve, at least an upper second class Honours classification in the first degree that they have taken. Academic qualifications obtained before entering university will also be taken into account in the assessment of graduate applications. N.B. as of the 2014/15 cycle, all graduate applicants will be required to sit the GAMSAT examination prior to applying, in order for their application to be considered.'

Thank you for pointing that out, I didn't realise they were taking GAMSAT as of this years cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by Elwyn
I've found your PS in the PS help forum so I'll take a look at that for you tomorrow and let you know how it's suited to Cardiff. If you have an updated version you can post it in the same thread you did before and I'll be able to see it.

I have posted an updated version for you on the thread, thank you!!!
I went on the website and I couldnt find the entry requirements? With A*AAB should I apply???
Reply 73
Original post by Elwyn
Yes your non-academic qualities will be assessed by the PS. I'm not really sure how it's weighted. All I can tell you is that your academic score is combined with a non-academic score to give you a total score. Applicants are ranked using this score and those with a score of X or above are invited to interview.

:lolwut:

I really must echo that excellent answer Angury gave you! There's no reason to be nervous. Everything she said is true and you're going to feel very welcome in Cardiff and make lots of friends very quickly.
I'm more than happy to answer questions if she's not available.

I had a reply from one of the admin team and they've told me the amount of extra points awarded for known A2 grades varies. This is the example she gave me:

"If an applicant does not think they will meet the minimum threshold we would advise them to apply once they have
obtained their A2 Levels and have those grades in hand as this will increase their score. A2s are not scored in the
same way as the GCSEs, they are scored on a sliding scale. As an example if you score 20 points with your
GCSEs and you have the required 3 A Grades at A2 this will increase your score to 24.7 points, which is rounded up to 25 points."

Hope that helps.

Oh thanks!! So with mine (3A* 5As and A*AAb) would I score 25? And is it still risky to apply? :redface:

Would you know of the interview cut off for last year? Sorry for annoying you and thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Just got confirmation that I'm eligible to apply for A104 6 year Medicine! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I know it's a snowball's chance in a hot place, but I'm enjoying the ride of applying even if I don't get accepted. (Except for the QR section of the UKCAT. That was a not-fun bit!)
Reply 75
Original post by Green Bubblegum
I went on the website and I couldnt find the entry requirements? With A*AAB should I apply???

At AS? Definitely! Cardiff don't look at AS grades or A2 predictions. You can find the full admissions criteria here.

Original post by Dr.Ugs
Oh thanks!! So with mine (3A* 5As and A*AAb) would I score 25? And is it still risky to apply? :redface:

Would you know of the interview cut off for last year? Sorry for annoying you and thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's no trouble! The whole reason I started this thread was to help applicants out :tongue:

With a score of 25 I'd apply. The cut-off I think was 24 possibly 25 last year, I'm not entirely sure. But IMO the cut-off is unlikely to be raised to 26. You can email/phone the admissions team though if you want some further clarification on that.

Just got confirmation that I'm eligible to apply for A104 6 year Medicine! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I know it's a snowball's chance in a hot place, but I'm enjoying the ride of applying even if I don't get accepted. (Except for the QR section of the UKCAT. That was a not-fun bit!)

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Elwyn
At AS? Definitely! Cardiff don't look at AS grades or A2 predictions. You can find the full admissions criteria here.

It's no trouble! The whole reason I started this thread was to help applicants out :tongue:

With a score of 25 I'd apply. The cut-off I think was 24 possibly 25 last year, I'm not entirely sure. But IMO the cut-off is unlikely to be raised to 26. You can email/phone the admissions team though if you want some further clarification on that.

Good luck! :smile:

No,these are my a-level results , i am a re-applicant
Also, my friend got 6a*s and 5 b's and i c in enlglish in her gcse. should she apply? she got A*AAB as well
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Hi guys, I'm going to be applying with full A Levels. Do anybody know what their policy is on AS module resits during the A2 year?
Reply 78
Hey guys,
Do any of you know of good books to read about on the heart? You know, for Further Studying. I've only been gathering information rather than reading one specific book.

Merci.
Reply 79
Original post by Green Bubblegum
No,these are my a-level results , i am a re-applicant
Also, my friend got 6a*s and 5 b's and i c in enlglish in her gcse. should she apply? she got A*AAB as well

Those A levels should be fine as long as you got at least an A in both chemistry and biology. What subjects were those grades in?

Cardiff requires a minimum of grade B in english language at GCSE so unfortunately I don't think she meets the requirements.

Original post by minhle20
Hi guys, I'm going to be applying with full A Levels. Do anybody know what their policy is on AS module resits during the A2 year?

As long as you're not resitting outside of the two years you have between starting AS and finishing A2 you have nothing to worry about. Module resits in A2 year a fine.

Original post by Nich-Neuve
Hey guys,
Do any of you know of good books to read about on the heart? You know, for Further Studying. I've only been gathering information rather than reading one specific book.

Merci.

Are you an applicant? Why do you want a book about the heart exactly? Just so I know what type of book you're looking for :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending