The Student Room Group

thinking about a french degree..

anyone going to do/doing/have done a degree in MFL only? I'm thinking of doing French because I enjoy it and I'm really good at it. What are the career prospects? (apart from teaching and translating)

Reply 1
Salut! I want to study french as well! but joint with history. The usual are translation and teaching like you said, but you could also work for a business firm that has branches in France, and also there are many transferable skills that you will learn and can transfer into many careers.

Which unis are you planning on applying to?
Reply 2
Original post by #afital
Salut! I want to study french as well! but joint with history. The usual are translation and teaching like you said, but you could also work for a business firm that has branches in France, and also there are many transferable skills that you will learn and can transfer into many careers.

Which unis are you planning on applying to?

That sounds interesting! :smile: I was thinking to do a joint degree with management, I am not really sure where to apply yet :confused:
Original post by storm95
anyone going to do/doing/have done a degree in MFL only? I'm thinking of doing French because I enjoy it and I'm really good at it. What are the career prospects? (apart from teaching and translating)

Hi!

From what I've read, there are plenty of options available with a language degree. I guess plenty of companies just want someone with a degree, not necessarily in a certain course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys!

I'm starting an MFL course in September, with French being one of the languages. My aims with these languages are purely academic, with a desire to continue towards an academic/research career.
You would be shocked as to how many paths there are for language students, there's a place for us within ANY expanding company and any employment body that is searching for good communication skills, team work and cultural understanding. It is important however to consider your future as a graduate- do you want to continue towards masters or stop there? For language students, the average pay package with only an undergrad degree is quite low. However, with a master's degree in Business, PGCE or in another branch completely, your chances of financial security post degree are MUCH better.

What I've said here are conclusions from my own research. It's helpful to go through job advertising sites and look for jobs that you would like to do with your degree. If nothing appeals, then consider adding something on to the end, like a joint honours and/or plan ahead to your masters degree- what will you do, what will that qualify you for?- and then maybe everything will make much more sense.

Having just went through the system myself, I can appreciate how hard these decisions are to make, especially when you're only 17/18 years old! It's not exactly fair, but that's life! If anyone has any questions about the application process/personal statement or likewise, don't hesitate to contact me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending