The Student Room Group

Which Math GCSE?

Hi, a friend of mine is planning on doing her math GCSE, she comes from the spanish system but said she'd like to do the GCSE.

However as we were looking at the OCR website there's several Mathematics A and then several Mathematics B and C as well!

Are they different? Which is better to do? Which is the one universities ask for when they ask for your gcse math grade?

And how many modules does it have? Thankyou!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by RBRo
Hi, a friend of mine is planning on doing her math GCSE, she comes from the spanish system but said she'd like to do the GCSE.

However as we were looking at the OCR website there's several Mathematics A and then several Mathematics B and C as well!

Are they different? Which is better to do? Which is the one universities ask for when they ask for your gcse math grade?

And how many modules does it have? Thankyou!
Hi. :smile:

Will your friend be taking the GCSE at a UK centre or a Spanish one? From your post it sounds as though she's self teaching? If so, it might be best to look at the websites of all major exam boards and see which suits her best. It's hard for anyone to say which is better to do - universities only ask for a qualification, not a particular specification.

From looking at the OCR site, A and B seem to be the most popular choices. A involves 3 exams and B involves only 2, but I'm not sure of the reasons for this.

If your friend isn't self teaching, then the choice of specification wouldn't be her responsibility anyway. :smile:
All 3 simply cover different syllabuses. They're all just about equal, so choose any.
Reply 3
All GCSE maths qualifications from all examiners are exactly equivalent and all cover the same mathematics, though the style of the questions and the structure of examinations does vary.

The structure of GCSE examinations is changing so that all papers are taken in the same exam season at the end of the course. The modular options where students could take a series of papers spread through their course have been withdrawn.

Your friend should find a centre willing to accept her as a private candidate for exams and follow which ever syllabus they use.

Quick Reply

Latest