The Student Room Group

I got into uni without try, I want to turn myself around - advice?

Hey guys this isn't a troll I promise! Basically my track history through school hasn't been the best! I've always got by without much effort and I feel that this is the first time where it has affected me!

At GCSE I was in an average set, I never tried most of the time, I didn't turn up either through illness or through my group of friends' influence; at the end they all failed (well got Ds and Es) while I got Bs and C's and thus progressed onto A-level. I failed my first year of AS (yeah, what a surprise) but my mum had just been diagnosed with cancer and there were serious problems. I re-sat the year, changed my friends and tried to improve myself - I came out with ABB.

Well, I got offers from some really good Russell group unis and decided that Newcastle was the way forward, so I firmed them, and I made Essex my insurance. However, this year my dad was diagnosed with cancer and it really messed with me and I slipped back into my old ways and didn't turn up; I know while his illness didn't help, it was my motivation and inability to attend that made me not try.

Anyway, I got ACC this June and didn't get into Newcastle, I did get into my insurance though, which is good for linguistics and offers the Speech Therapy masters that I'm aiming for. However, while I'm happy with the uni, it isn't the Russell group I was aiming for, I rang them through clearing and they all basically said they wouldn't take me with C's lol.

What this has done is made me realise that giving 50% of myself to something isn't the way forward. So why am I posting this thread? Well firstly it's like therapy because I've never admitted to myself that I could've tried harder until now and that while living on a council estate in Newcastle with I'll parents isn't ideal, it isn't the reason for my failure. Secondly, I'm posting because I know a fair few of the people who post on here are the Cambridge type who are really motivated and driven; so who better to ask for advice on how to avoid procrastination and keep the motivation to strive for something.

I know it may sound stupid but I'm just looking for advice on how to stay driven because while not striving for the best hasn't destroyed me thus far, it probably will at uni so it's best to stop it now before I start.

Cheers guys.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Watch some motivational videos on Youtube?
I'll be monitoring this thread. I've always just 'got by' up until now - literally didn't revise for my GCSEs/A-levels but somehow made it through both - and I doubt I'll get what I want this time, which is a 1st, by relying on luck. Don't mind me, I'll just be lurking in this corner over here. :smile:
I'm gonna start this by saying, respect to you for manning up and admitting to yourself that you could have worked harder. Most of us feel that way at some point in our life but it takes balls to admit it so well done - now you've just gotta work on changing yourself. The fact that you've publicly declared that you want to fix up shows that you're already halfway there. The next half is actually doing something about it. Here's my suggestion.

Go to Essex, work your tits off there. it's not a Russell Group but to be honest, that's more of a token than anything. If you're headed for SALT (Speech and Language Therapy) as a career, trust me, employers are not going to be looking at where you studied, they'll be looking at how you studied.

SALT is crazy hard to get into at any level. If Essex see you grafting for three years and notice your potential for SALT, you'll stand more of a chance getting onto the masters you want. Good luck xx
Yes well done for getting your feelings out publicly- you are so lucky though, getting a decent course with no effort!
The Russell group isn't a major thing, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Didn't you apply for special consideration? Im not sure but wouldn't it have been appropriate in this situation. I hope your mum and dad have a speedy recovery and stay strong.
Reply 6
Respect. Good luck at uni
Reply 7
What is exactly the query? If you are not happy with Essex then do a gap year.
Lol same with me, i never really tried for gcses or a levels but did fine. In fact I cant understand people who revise for hours upon end etc. I could never be motivated for that. I did a few mins the day before exams for revision and thats all I could be bothered with. Still, nothings going to change that. Good luck
Reply 9
Original post by qr95
Didn't you apply for special consideration? Im not sure but wouldn't it have been appropriate in this situation. I hope your mum and dad have a speedy recovery and stay strong.

I never thought of it until people mentioned it during my exams, the school were fully aware of my situation (probably why they didn't kick me out) and assigned me a counciler; but they never told me to apply for consideration. It makes it worse because Newcastle told me they would've accepted me had I had considering/notified them earlier.

Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
I'm gonna start this by saying, respect to you for manning up and admitting to yourself that you could have worked harder. Most of us feel that way at some point in our life but it takes balls to admit it so well done - now you've just gotta work on changing yourself. The fact that you've publicly declared that you want to fix up shows that you're already halfway there. The next half is actually doing something about it. Here's my suggestion.

Go to Essex, work your tits off there. it's not a Russell Group but to be honest, that's more of a token than anything. If you're headed for SALT (Speech and Language Therapy) as a career, trust me, employers are not going to be looking at where you studied, they'll be looking at how you studied.

SALT is crazy hard to get into at any level. If Essex see you grafting for three years and notice your potential for SALT, you'll stand more of a chance getting onto the masters you want. Good luck xx

Hey thanks! I know how competitive SALT is! I was looking into UCL and they say on their website that they get 400 applications for 50 places haha! It's all about the work experience so I'm just going to try and get some lined up from the moment I start! Hopefully 3 years work of relevant work experience and a 1st from Essex will get me in somewhere! :,)
Reply 10
Original post by Ben Kenobi
What is exactly the query? If you are not happy with Essex then do a gap year.

It's not that I'm unhappy with Essex! In fact all things considered it could've been a lot worse and the fact that it's not Russell Group isn't enough for me to justify a gap year.

the query is really how to people stay motivated at school for long periods! And how they deal with procrastination. Like while my circumstances weren't exactly ideal I am fully aware that they weren't the driving force behind me missing my firm.
I'm a rather hard worker, sometimes I do struggle to find motivation from my school but I'll learnt to nevertheless push myself with independent work and revision.
The main thing with me is wanting to make my parents proud. I have lovely parents who have always been incredibly supportive and caring of me. They were also willing to help me withy exam revision approaching June (when I did my GCSEs) just by doing simple things such as buying me revision guides, having patience with me while I was stressed, testing me on my German vocab and listening to me ramble on about ancient Egyptian medicine. I therefore wanted to do well in my exams to make then proud. I feel that after their loyalty and patience with me, I owe it to them to at least try my best. I also wish to make my lovely grandparents proud, as they have always been there fore me through my whole life. As of yet, none of my cousins in either side if the family have gone to university; although they have gone on to do.other great things, I think my grandparents would very proud to have a grandchild who is academically talented amongst their other grandchildren, especially as ny dad's parents are quite traditional and would appreciate a grandchild who tried very hard at school and therefore was able to access good university education.

Hope thus helped :smile:
Original post by JordanC55

Hey thanks! I know how competitive SALT is! I was looking into UCL and they say on their website that they get 400 applications for 50 places haha! It's all about the work experience so I'm just going to try and get some lined up from the moment I start! Hopefully 3 years work of relevant work experience and a 1st from Essex will get me in somewhere! :,)

Try SEN schools. Mostly they're more than happy to accommodate for people who want to go in and do observations (on the understanding that there is no such thing as merely observing in a SEN school :wink: ) as long as you're police checked etc etc it's fine :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
Try SEN schools. Mostly they're more than happy to accommodate for people who want to go in and do observations (on the understanding that there is no such thing as merely observing in a SEN school :wink: ) as long as you're police checked etc etc it's fine :smile:

That's a really good tip! I'll start ringing around when I get down there in September; going by the websites it seems there may be one or two in Essex. Hopefully, they'll let me in as it'd be such a relief to line something like that up in first year.
Reply 14
You must get some kind of special consideration. That's crazy! Hope your rents are OK!
Going through non-life threatening illnesses I was a mess and absolutely unmotivated. Now that I feel a better I too realize that I have only been given 50% since that has happened to me. Now, bad stuff is going to continue to happen and it'll bring us down but in the meantime to stay motivated, I just count myself lucky for all things that are going right. I also think with the attitude "This is my life, only I can decide whether I move forward or not." I'm sure you had some childhood dreams, remember those. Set yourself dreams and goals. And most of all just remember that if you do something good with your life, you will feel satisfaction from it and that will motivate you, it's addicting. Get addicted to success, it's the only thing worth getting addicted to.
Reply 15
Original post by xox_em
You must get some kind of special consideration. That's crazy! Hope your rents are OK!
Going through non-life threatening illnesses I was a mess and absolutely unmotivated. Now that I feel a better I too realize that I have only been given 50% since that has happened to me. Now, bad stuff is going to continue to happen and it'll bring us down but in the meantime to stay motivated, I just count myself lucky for all things that are going right. I also think with the attitude "This is my life, only I can decide whether I move forward or not." I'm sure you had some childhood dreams, remember those. Set yourself dreams and goals. And most of all just remember that if you do something good with your life, you will feel satisfaction from it and that will motivate you, it's addicting. Get addicted to success, it's the only thing worth getting addicted to.

Hey that's really good advice thanks! And no I didn't and they're okay; my dad goes into hospital again 1 week before I start uni lol!
That's a really good tip! I'll start ringing around when I get down there in September; going by the websites it seems there may be one or two in Essex. Hopefully, they'll let me in as it'd be such a relief to line something like that up in first year.

http://www.education.gov.uk/inyourarea/schools/lea_881_schools.shtml#04 list of SEN schools in Essex. Depending on your timetable and your willingness to travel, there are several SEN schools in London too :smile:
Hey guys this isn't a troll I promise! Basically my track history through school hasn't been the best! I've always got by without much effort and I feel that this is the first time where it has affected me!

At GCSE I was in an average set, I never tried most of the time, I didn't turn up either through illness or through my group of friends' influence; at the end they all failed (well got Ds and Es) while I got Bs and C's and thus progressed onto A-level. I failed my first year of AS (yeah, what a surprise) but my mum had just been diagnosed with cancer and there were serious problems. I re-sat the year, changed my friends and tried to improve myself - I came out with ABB.

Well, I got offers from some really good Russell group unis and decided that Newcastle was the way forward, so I firmed them, and I made Essex my insurance. However, this year my dad was diagnosed with cancer and it really messed with me and I slipped back into my old ways and didn't turn up; I know while his illness didn't help, it was my motivation and inability to attend that made me not try.

Anyway, I got ACC this June and didn't get into Newcastle, I did get into my insurance though, which is good for linguistics and offers the Speech Therapy masters that I'm aiming for. However, while I'm happy with the uni, it isn't the Russell group I was aiming for, I rang them through clearing and they all basically said they wouldn't take me with C's lol.

What this has done is made me realise that giving 50% of myself to something isn't the way forward. So why am I posting this thread? Well firstly it's like therapy because I've never admitted to myself that I could've tried harder until now and that while living on a council estate in Newcastle with I'll parents isn't ideal, it isn't the reason for my failure. Secondly, I'm posting because I know a fair few of the people who post on here are the Cambridge type who are really motivated and driven; so who better to ask for advice on how to avoid procrastination and keep the motivation to strive for something.

I know it may sound stupid but I'm just looking for advice on how to stay driven because while not striving for the best hasn't destroyed me thus far, it probably will at uni so it's best to stop it now before I start.

Cheers guys.
Hi, first of all, you've already done half the job by realising you need to put more effort in and seeking advice, and congrats to you for being brave in sharing your story.

The best way I've found of keeping up with work, despite the odd times of procrastination, is by organisation and setting yourself goals.

For example, a few weeks in advance, maybe 2 months +, I'd set up a time table on Excel for everyday in weekly rows on one page, splitting each weekly row into morning, afternoon, evening.

Highlighting the exam times (once I know them that is), and start putting in slots of what I want to revise and when.

This sets your goals and you split your time and so feel more at ease with what you need to do, knowing you have the time to do it.

Plan to finish your studies a week or 2 in advance, leaving the final days for refreshment revision instead of learning and understanding, and giving some time to rest and get plenty of sleep especially before exams.
(edited 10 years ago)

Cheers guys.

To be honest, although Russel Group universities often have a better reputation, a good degree from a respected but non Russel Group university is just as valid. I did crap at alevel because I had family problems ect and hated it, but I've found a degree that I really like and am (on average) 68-77 (a high 2.1/1st) so just because you've not been motivated and have kinda screwed yourself over at alevel doesnt mean at uni isnt a chance to redeem yourself. Just remember that the only true failure is the failure to try.

Also, remembering that most employers filter out people who get 2.2s or lower for graduate jobs and the fact that you are paying A LOT OF COLD HARD CASH for this degree (which is pointless if you're not going to try) also helps. There's little point saying "Oh I wish I went to a Russel Group uni, because there's nothing you can do now, and I went to a good university based purely on their reputation and dropped out because I hated it.

I am on an Architecture course and believe me it's so nasty it defeats the best of us. Even those people, you thought they were destined for the big leagues, who were so passionate in 1st year, have broken down crying or said the famous words, "What's the point?! I don't want to be an Architect any more, it's not worth it!" So what has been my motivations for carrying on this horrible course into my 4th+ years? Well there has been a number. When I was despairing and wanted to give up my thought pattern went through the following list. And now half way to being an Architect with a 2:1 Bachelors Degree I guess it worked:-

I REALLY want to be an architect: I had work experience as an Architect before applying with a friend's dad and I simply loved it. I had decided that the job was the right fit: it was satisfying my need for a creative outlet; it was social; it was different every single day and you got to see your work displayed in public for years to come (which is kind of cool). When I was banged up at 4:00am with a deadline looming, having had no social life, sleep and sometimes even food and all I wanted to do was throw my work out the window and run away, what got me through this was the fact that I knew for a fact I loved the job and this was the only way I was going to get where I wanted to be.

This was helped in summer after 2nd year where I went for a longer work experience and realised that the place I had originally worked for was crap (although they were all males, they didn't stop bitching about each other in the office and as a result they never talked and it was always so tense! I didn't realise that at the time though) that really helped though the notorious 3rd year finals.

I you have a career you really want and I imagine you do with the course you're doing hold onto it and don't let go. When you feel horrible and want to just sit in front of the telly think "If I fail would I get this chance again?" or "Could I honestly get a job with x marks/ x degree result?" If the answer is no.... get your butt in gear!

My Father is a bit of a results fiend: When it came to results my dad always expected the best. He always wanted me to go to a uni (he didn't care which mind) and he wanted me to do something which he thought would immediately lead me to a career (e.g. Not Geography or English but Maths/Accountancy or Pharmacy etc.) I also knew that he would not take kindly to me dropping out and would say "But its only x years and then you can do whatever you like" i.e a graduate job if I didn't want to do what I was studying.

By this stage, I wasn't usually in a state to care about anyone but myself so it didn't usually work but was certainly an added factor. I realise not all people will have a relative who is as active/interested in your education as mine was but it may help to phone them to say how your doing or something. You do it often enough and they might get into asking you to put a level of pressure on you .... maybe. Maybe you could think of how proud they would be to come to your graduation or how proud they would be if you got your 1st? Would they be disappointed (even though they probably wouldn't say) if you failed or dropped out? Would they keep bailing you out if you attempted stuff and never finished them? Would you like the chance to wave the piece of paper around and say I did it on my own without them nagging you to do your homework? Graduation is a wonderful day for your family especially if you're the first in your family to go just think about what achieving that 1st would do for them.

People who care get you through it: By far the greatest thing that kept me going and working hard was my fella. He was nothing short of a star! and I'm quite certain that I wouldn't have that degree without him. He would keep me working late at night; he was company when work made me lonely (quite often he'd just sit with me watching a film next to me while I worked and stopped me procrastinating when it was getting late) and when I broke down crying and yelling that I couldn't do it he would convince me otherwise.

However this was not just one directional! He is a typical boy-nerd, too much time on the Xbox not enough time studying (or outside for that matter!) He is much like you, always clever enough to get by (well) and never does any revision. And during revision period his revision day once lasted 30mins and I'm not joking. From then on in I moaned at him that he was going to fail if he wasn't careful and when results came for the sitting he got a nasty surprise. For the next sitting, I had to teach him how to revise cause he didn't know how to do it without getting bored (GSCEs and Alevel he hadn't needed to) and I would shout at him if I thought he didn't work hard enough and mister clever clogs managed to get a higher mark than he wanted for his degree. So we nag each other and we get each other through and without each other we wouldn't have gotten our marks.

Of course I'm not suggesting for a second that you need a gf/bf not keep motivated, that's just nonsense it's just in my extreme case it worked for me because I needed someone to get me through my torturous course that believed in me and forced me to do what needed to be done (gosh! I feel like I'm reciting the scene in Half blood Prince when Dumbledore needs to drink that horrible potion :s-smilie: ). I do believe however it is your friends that care whether you fail or not that keep you going. If you could get a buddy (ideally on your course) that really gets you and can keep you on the straight and narrow and you can go round at any time of night when your down and can help you with your work if your stuck then your sailing!

From my experience, I felt that being strict on myself was hard but being strict on others was easier so if you manage to find another person who feels the same way you can help each other out. You can give each other the kick up the backside when you need it and equally you can pat each other on the back when you do well.

The best thing about you Jordan is you've recognised your potential for lacking focus without that then you would carry on the "just get by" path. It means you can be honest with yourself and assess favourite activities and places and you'll realise that maybe your common-room is just too distracting and your working too slowly there and even though you might hate the silence in the library and it might be too hot in summer and cold in winter, you do your best work and you go and work there instead. Although these might be hard decisions they are the most important and because you've admitted you have the tendency to not work hard enough I know you'll have to maturity to do these assessments when its important.

I would avoid activities which distract you when need to focus like parties or maybe even a certain group of friends; mix it up to keep your focus (bored with one subject then switch to another) and (sorry I'm about to quote teachers here) try and do work as soon as you get it. If a professor gives you work after class try and go to the library and get it done straight away that way if your mate comes and asks you to the pub later when you should be doing work then you don't have to worry about the mountain when you get back at the weekend. (Mountains are daunting and horrible. Avoid at all costs! especially if you have motivation issues.) You might even be able to take a friend with you which makes it more enjoyable and easier if you have a particularly hard task on your hands. You'll be surprised at uni how many people work in groups and how many places there are to do it. I don't know about yours but mine had too many to count.

Also if you do this often enough you may get into a good habit and you won't have to worrying about it but try and not get into back habits. (This is where the buddy is handy!) Also a problem shared is a problem halved!

I also found that little psychological things helped me work as well. For example, all your life you've gotten up early to go to school where you work/learn and on the weekends you have a lie-in. What I found, if I had a lay-in when I needed to do work I would work a lot less than when I set the alarm and got up early for work. Because for 15ish years my body associated getting up with a "work day" I found I was a lot more focused from the world go and I felt less need to "relax" (watch telly) before working all day. Maybe that tip will help others. Another thing is if you do work straight after lectures i.e as you get the work, (assuming you're not bored stiff or totally brain-dread from you lecturer), after lectures you're more likely to still be in a work-mode and less likely to distract yourself. You're also in a "learning environment" which has a similar effect and you're fresher on the subject and will find it easier to recall things you need.

I hope this helps and I'm sorry for the essay but hopefully you and other find my experience useful. Good luck with the future Jordan! I wish you well!

~Scribbled

P.S: Uni's not all about work. Enjoy it too .... But within reason. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending