The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Chemistry remark?

Hey, so I got a B in AS chemistry, but was only 3 UMS ( 2 raw marks) from an A. I want to study medicine so chemistry is very important but I am afraid that I may be marked down in a remark. Do you think I should risk getting a remark?
Reply 1
Original post by Curlsss
Hey, so I got a B in AS chemistry, but was only 3 UMS ( 2 raw marks) from an A. I want to study medicine so chemistry is very important but I am afraid that I may be marked down in a remark. Do you think I should risk getting a remark?

If you're only 3 UMS off an A then you are unlikely to drop down a whole grade, so I'd recommend getting a remark.
If you drop a few UMS the difference between a high B and a low B to universities you apply to will be 0, they'll just see Chemistry - B (unless you apply to Cambridge who will look at UMS)
However if you go up a grade you will improve your odds.
It is however your decision, if you think you did better than a B get a remark. . . If you are surprised you got a B and you were expecting lower, then it's probably best not to :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by joostan
If you're only 3 UMS off an A then you are unlikely to drop down a whole grade, so I'd recommend getting a remark.
If you drop a few UMS the difference between a high B and a low B to universities you apply to will be 0, they'll just see Chemistry - B (unless you apply to Cambridge who will look at UMS)
However if you go up a grade you will improve your odds.
It is however your decision, if you think you did better than a B get a remark. . . If you are surprised you got a B and you were expecting lower, then it's probably best not to :smile:

Thanks for the advise! My other results were As in biology, maths and critical thinking and a B in history. I know that either way I will do the chemistry unit 1 paper again so I can get a strong A in chemistry. I just wanted the remark so that I could apply with an A. But I was just worried that it might be a waste of time and money if I know I'm going to resit anyway. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Curlsss
Thanks for the advise! My other results were As in biology, maths and critical thinking and a B in history. I know that either way I will do the chemistry unit 1 paper again so I can get a strong A in chemistry. I just wanted the remark so that I could apply with an A. But I was just worried that it might be a waste of time and money if I know I'm going to resit anyway. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, unless the UMS matters to you, if I remarked and got an A, I wouldn't bother with a resit. The criteria for the A* can still be met with the same grades later, but I suppose it might make an A easier?
It's really up to you :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest