The Student Room Group

Studying a subject that I like or that will get me a job?

Hello All, I was hoping you'd be able to shed some light on the predicament that I am in. I am a mature student about to go into my A2s and I am currently applying for courses through UCAS. Ever since starting my A-Levels I have told myself that Law is the subject I wanted to study, not only for the job opportunities after completing such a degree but the skills this course can teach me. However, after studying Politics I have realised that this is the subject I enjoy the most - I don't know what it is, I just seem to 'get it' (perhaps because I'm slightly older). I achieved all A's at AS and my politics teacher said that I am more than capable of achieving an A* in Politics and I should be able to achieve the same in English Lit. Anyway, so my interest in Law is mainly down to career opportunities but also learning a subject which seems to be unknown to most of society seems very appealing. However, I enjoy politics - really enjoy it but I know that after studying it for three years there are limited career options thereafter. What do you guys think? I am 21 and obviously time is of the essence but it is that so important? Appreciate your thoughts.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Well it depends on which subject you enjoy the most. Obviously in the current job market, Law would seem the preferable option and if you enjoy that, then why not go into it? You can still maybe do some politics later in life, but if your first priority is getting a job and securing a life-long career, Law would seem the best option for you. As long as your capable in the subject and will succeed, then go for Law
Reply 2
My thoughts exactly, thank you Velatrix. I have been working for the last two years in a market that does require most of skills necessary for becoming a lawyer (e.g negotiation and transparency) so I believe myself to be more than capable. Alas, If I see myself in politics a few years after my degree then I would be free to do so as there limited restrictions. Thanks again! I just needed confirmation that my thoughts were correct.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest