The Student Room Group

CBSE students applying on UCAS

This is a thread for CBSE qualified students who have queries regarding applying to unis via UCAS.

I am a CBSE-qualified (CBSE is a reputed Indian educational board) student and am currently preparing my UCAS application to unis for '14 entry. I find that there is no option to enter CBSE's class XII All India SENIOR School Certificate Examination (AISSCE) qualification in the education section of the form [even though there was an option to enter the Class X All India SECONDARY School Examination (AISSE) qualification]. I then selected 'other international non-EU qualifications' and free-typed the information but to my surprise, they didn't ask me to enter the name of qualification anywhere (which, I think, is something the unis will want to know for sure) but asked me to mention the subject/field instead, which is something I would otherwise mention in the modules section. I then entered 'AISSCE - Commerce' in the field.

Did i do the right thing/should I make any changes there? I'm in a fix here, cos unis may consider my qualifications invalid if I mess up this part.

Thank you in advance.

(PS: It'd be very helpful if i can get to contact someone who previously applied to unis in the UK via UCAS and who have CBSE-based qualifications).

Scroll to see replies

Hi. I'm an Indian student, studying at a school affiliated with the CBSE Board. I'm applying to Oxford University as an individual as my school counsellor knows almost nothing about UCAS and undergraduate studies in the UK. I had a few questions:
1. My school does not provide predicted grades. What should I do?
I know of some people who predicted their own grades because their schools didn't provide predicted grades. Is that wrong? I mean, they did attain what they predicted, but still, is it wrong?
2. I have also taken the SAT I and Advanced Placement examinations, but not from my school. I took them independently. How do I enter them in the UCAS form?
3. My referee does not know my predicted grades. What should I do?
Original post by journeyinwards
Hi. I'm an Indian student, studying at a school affiliated with the CBSE Board. I'm applying to Oxford University as an individual as my school counsellor knows almost nothing about UCAS and undergraduate studies in the UK. I had a few questions:
1. My school does not provide predicted grades. What should I do?
I know of some people who predicted their own grades because their schools didn't provide predicted grades. Is that wrong? I mean, they did attain what they predicted, but still, is it wrong?
2. I have also taken the SAT I and Advanced Placement examinations, but not from my school. I took them independently. How do I enter them in the UCAS form?
3. My referee does not know my predicted grades. What should I do?

1) Your referee has to predict your grades.
2) you can enter those details in the educational qualifications section of your UCAS form.
3) Your referee must be in a position to predict your grades. Ie, he must either be teaching you presently or he should have taught you sometime back.

Sent from my iPhone
Reply 3
hi sidhant,

im completiting a UCAS form for my cousin. i wanted to ask, did you say that the AISSE qualification is for class 10 CBSE board?
Reply 4
Original post by Sidhant Shivram
This is a thread for CBSE qualified students who have queries regarding applying to unis via UCAS.

I am a CBSE-qualified (CBSE is a reputed Indian educational board) student and am currently preparing my UCAS application to unis for '14 entry. I find that there is no option to enter CBSE's class XII All India SENIOR School Certificate Examination (AISSCE) qualification in the education section of the form [even though there was an option to enter the Class X All India SECONDARY School Examination (AISSE) qualification]. I then selected 'other international non-EU qualifications' and free-typed the information but to my surprise, they didn't ask me to enter the name of qualification anywhere (which, I think, is something the unis will want to know for sure) but asked me to mention the subject/field instead, which is something I would otherwise mention in the modules section. I then entered 'AISSCE - Commerce' in the field.

Did i do the right thing/should I make any changes there? I'm in a fix here, cos unis may consider my qualifications invalid if I mess up this part.

Thank you in advance.

(PS: It'd be very helpful if i can get to contact someone who previously applied to unis in the UK via UCAS and who have CBSE-based qualifications).

Hi, i wanted to ask something. did you say that the class 10 CBSE comes under AISSE?
Original post by Gurveet
Hi, i wanted to ask something. did you say that the class 10 CBSE comes under AISSE?

Yup, the class X exam is called AISSE and the class XII exam is called AISSCE.

I'm so sorry for the late reply! 😞...this thread wasn't on my watched list so I never knew that you had asked me something. I don't think answering your question is of any use now. :frown:

My apologies again :frown:

Sent from my iPhone
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi Sidhant, going by your posts and replies, you applied to UCAS, I share the same problem. How'd you get past these problems?
i.e. AISSCE and AISSE qualification.
I'm filling my UCAS application. Need help.
It would be really helpful if you reply to me asap.
Original post by Ayushee Koul
Hi Sidhant, I was hoping you could tell me if you came across a solution to the AISSCE and AISSE qualification problem. I'm filling my form for admissions'15 and it would really be very helpful of you to answer asap.

You're doing your 12th now, right? Are you doing commerce/science?

Put it in as CBSE AISSCE Class XII Examination.

Hope that helps. Lemme know if you need anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(edited 9 years ago)
You're doing your 12th now, right? Are you doing commerce/science?

Put it in as CBSE AISSCE Class XII Examination.

Hope that helps. Lemme know if you need anything else.

Actually, I graduated this year. From Humanities and it all came a little late to me and it's of no use to apply to the September'14 session even though the University I want to apply to through UCAS is still accepting applications and considering them.
Actually, I graduated this year. From Humanities and it all came a little late to me and it's of no use to apply to the September'14 session even though the University I want to apply to through UCAS is still accepting applications and considering them.

Why is there 'no use' then? Do you really want to take a gap year?

Sent from my iPhone
Why is there 'no use' then? Do you really want to take a gap year?

Sent from my iPhone

Well, it's a little complicated. I'm thinking of joining some college this year and then prepare myself for the admissions'15
My passport has to be renewed and then comes all the student visa verification which takes a lot of time.
Well, it's a little complicated. I'm thinking of joining some college this year and then prepare myself for the admissions'15
My passport has to be renewed and then comes all the student visa verification which takes a lot of time.

Oh alright. Makes sense. Anyway, that's the way you do it. AISSCE - Humanities...Just follow what I wrote in my first post. That's how it should be done.

Oh alright. Makes sense. Anyway, that's the way you do it. AISSCE - Humanities...Just follow what I wrote in my first post. That's how it should be done.

Thank you so much! That was really fast.
Thank you so much! That was really fast.

Haha! No problem (: I didn't really want to keep you waiting for nothing (:

Hello,
I'm a CBSE student as well and will apply to Sheffield, Leeds, Southampton, Liverpool, and Cardiff for Mathematics. Do I need to submit 11th or any internal examination marks? Or 10th grade and 12th predicted grades?
Original post by halamadrid777
Hello,
I'm a CBSE student as well and will apply to Sheffield, Leeds, Southampton, Liverpool, and Cardiff for Mathematics. Do I need to submit 11th or any internal examination marks? Or 10th grade and 12th predicted grades?

You don't have to submit your 11th grade marks.

You might have to submit your 12th board exam predicted marks. Some universities insist that you submit your 12th predicted marks while others don't need them (LSE for eg., requires that you submit them).

You have to submit your 10th grades in your UCAS form. It's compulsory.

Sent from my iPhone
Thank you man!! I'm applying for 2015 entry for Bsc Maths.. Thanks again!! I scored 10 cgpa in class X. What are my chances bdw ? Do you think I can get into QUB, Leicester, Liverpool, or Cardiff? I'm applying on the 1st day UCAS opens :P When will I get a decision if I apply early. Sorry for this truckload of questions but I'm really desperate :biggrin:
hi
i am a class 11 student studying in cbse board school in new delhi and my main inquiry is that when should i start filling out my ucas application , this year or the next and i am planning on studying medicine at Oxford or imperianl college london ( i know its a long shot) and they require compulsory interviews so as an international student will i have to submit my application early
Original post by halamadrid777
Thank you man!! I'm applying for 2015 entry for Bsc Maths.. Thanks again!! I scored 10 cgpa in class X. What are my chances bdw ? Do you think I can get into QUB, Leicester, Liverpool, or Cardiff? I'm applying on the 1st day UCAS opens :P When will I get a decision if I apply early. Sorry for this truckload of questions but I'm really desperate :biggrin:

No problem (: Feel free to AMA anytime (:

The Class X results are not really important. So as long as you get anything over 9, you'll be fine. This is especially true for the universities that you mentioned. All that matters is whether or not you'll be able to obtain the required percentage in the boards. From my experience, getting an offer at QUB is easy. And I believe they don't even look into your personal statement all that much. Don't know about the other universities you mentioned.

You will get a reply early if you apply (on UCAS) early at some universities. For eg: QUB replies very fast and LSE takes ages, if you've got a good application i.e...So, that depends really. But I'm thinking it should be fast for all the universities you've mentioned.

And yes. You've got a 10/10 at Class X. If you manage to keep up the good work and get say, anything above 85 in the Boards and draw up a decent PS, you'll have no problem getting offers from any of these universities.

PS : I don't know much about Liverpool, Cardiff & Leicester. I assume they are on par with QUB. So what I said here is based on that assumption.

Original post by sid8singla
hi
i am a class 11 student studying in cbse board school in new delhi and my main inquiry is that when should i start filling out my ucas application , this year or the next and i am planning on studying medicine at Oxford or imperianl college london ( i know its a long shot) and they require compulsory interviews so as an international student will i have to submit my application early

You're in class XI now. You can only send your application sometime before your first model in class XII. i.e., anytime between late September 2015 and late October 2015. The deadline is early cos you'll be applying to Oxford. And since medicine is an especially competitive stream, it'd be best if you apply as soon as UCAS starts accepting applications (this will be in the last week of Sept. most probably).

Latest

Trending

Trending