The Student Room Group

Would these grades be good enough for Biology or Medicine at Cambridge?

Hey guys -
I like the idea of either studying Biology or Medicine at Cambridge University (probably the former course), and am wondering if these GCSE grades are good enough! I'm not fishing for compliments I just genuinely have no idea, no one talks to us about this at my school! Thank you (I've put below the post I posted in the results thread) --

"
Biology -A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
English Literature - A*
English Language - A*
Mathematics - A*
Religious Studies - A*
History - A*
IT (Qcf) - Distinction Star (D*)
Award in Dig. Apps. Level 2 - Distinction
Cert. in Dig. Apps. Level 2 - Merit
German - B
PE (short course) - C

Considering I'm at a failing suburban state comp where only about 40% get 5 A*-C's, I am elated with this. We are in the bottom quintile for science in the country, and I got 5 science exams at 100 % UMS. So funny as I know so many posh families and kids who go to private schools and I'm from a working class background and got this :biggrin: Whoop whoop. "
Reply 1
Why do people feel the need to make these threads when they have the highest grades possible in most of, if not all of, their GCSE subjects?
Reply 2
i think you made this thread to show off your GCSEs
AS UMS is far more important for Cambridge, but your GCSEs will not hold you back.
Reply 4
As I said - I don't know what grades or how many Cambridge want - a friend said 9-10 A*s, not sure if BTEC/DiDA Distinctions count, don't know if subjects like RS or German are really counted towards these subjects etc. etc. Looking for advice not this kind of presumptuous reply, I never thought I would get these kind of grades, so no-ones told me anything about Cambridge at all. There website is quite vague, so I would appreciate honest answers.

Hope that answers your question!
Original post by HappyHumanist
Hey guys -
I like the idea of either studying Biology or Medicine at Cambridge University (probably the former course), and am wondering if these GCSE grades are good enough! I'm not fishing for compliments I just genuinely have no idea, no one talks to us about this at my school! Thank you (I've put below the post I posted in the results thread) --

"
Biology -A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
English Literature - A*
English Language - A*
Mathematics - A*
Religious Studies - A*
History - A*
IT (Qcf) - Distinction Star (D*)
Award in Dig. Apps. Level 2 - Distinction
Cert. in Dig. Apps. Level 2 - Merit
German - B
PE (short course) - C

Considering I'm at a failing suburban state comp where only about 40% get 5 A*-C's, I am elated with this. We are in the bottom quintile for science in the country, and I got 5 science exams at 100 % UMS. So funny as I know so many posh families and kids who go to private schools and I'm from a working class background and got this :biggrin: Whoop whoop. "

Yes, they'd be fine. Dunno about Biology, but I think the average for Cambridge Medicine is 9A*, so 8A* would be fine.

For Medicine, you can see the GCSEs (and AS UMS) of applicants and accepted applicants here: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Pterodactyl
AS UMS is far more important for Cambridge, but your GCSEs will not hold you back.

actually GCSE's are pretty important for medicine at Cambridge.
Reply 7
As I said - I don't know what grades or how many Cambridge want - a friend said 9-10 A*s, not sure if BTEC/DiDA Distinctions count, don't know if subjects like RS or German are really counted towards these subjects etc. etc. Looking for advice not this kind of presumptuous reply, I never thought I would get these kind of grades, so no-ones told me anything about Cambridge at all. There website is quite vague, so I would appreciate honest answers.

Hope that answers your question!

Your GCSE grades are good enough, yes. They don't just consider your GCSE grades, though; your A-levels are FAR more important, however the interview itself is even more important than any sort of grades as there are people who have A*'s in every single subject at both GCSE and A-level who have been turned down at Oxbridge for having the personality of a turnip.
Original post by Ben Kenobi
actually GCSE's are pretty important for medicine at Cambridge.

I didn't say they were unimportant? Just that AS UMS is far more important.
Reply 9
Wow thanks for all the responses guys very quick! Cheers :smile:
Reply 10
x

Your GCSEs are good, especially considering your disadvantaged background (this will work in your favour come application time). You should next make a decision between medicine and biology (technically biological Natural Sciences) as soon as possible so that you can prepare your application accordingly. You should take at least three science subjects at AS and be aiming to get 90%+ UMS in all of them to be competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest