The Student Room Group

Continue to A2 or Retake the subject?

My AS results were really bad
E - Physics, E - Chem, D - Math and C - ICT

i was planning on doing 3 A2s, math,ict and physics but since january exams are gone is it better for me to do 2 A2 and redo AS physics and end up with 2 A2s and 2 ASs?
It all depends what you wanna do in the future.. Go to uni? If so then you might struggle getting in with only two A2s as most unis require 3 A2 subjects.
That being said nothing is stopping you from doing this its just your options may be limited.. And you have to ask yourself if you actually think you will end up getting better grades the second time round.

You might wanna look into resiting the year with different subjects or maybe collage?

Good luck and hope all works out for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Toothpick134
It all depends what you wanna do in the future.. Go to uni? If so then you might struggle getting in with only two A2s as most unis require 3 A2 subjects.
That being said nothing is stopping you from doing this its just your options may be limited.. And you have to ask yourself if you actually think you will end up getting better grades the second time round.

You might wanna look into resiting the year with different subjects or maybe collage?

Good luck and hope all works out for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes im planning to go to uni :/

Well i underestimated my first year and simply did my gcse last minute style and it horribly backfired, so i kinda know what i should do next time :3

Resitting the year is not ideal for me right now, because im not exactly aiming for cambridge or oxford, just an average uni that accept B/Cs

Thank you for your advice nevertheless :smile:
It's entirely possible to get into some great courses with 2 levels, provided you do well in them, having three just makes it a lot easier......especially if your looking at courses that wasn't ucas pints and not solid grades in particular subjects....I would say continue to a2 and work hard....
Original post by Fayaiz Ahmed
It's entirely possible to get into some great courses with 2 levels, provided you do well in them, having three just makes it a lot easier......especially if your looking at courses that wasn't ucas pints and not solid grades in particular subjects....I would say continue to a2 and work hard....

thats what i thought at first but with the removal of jan exams it might be really hard :/
Original post by Fayaiz Ahmed

thats what i thought at first but with the removal of jan exams it might be really hard :/
Original post by SupremeNunchucks

i say go to a2 and try your best with your new exams, very rarely do you improve previous exams. it takes real determination and a lot of private study to get them up. I resat a couple....very rarely did i improve them by a huge amount.......i did however once double the amount of marks i got in a biology exam so thats good. Im guessing the idea of all your exams in june isnt helping your confidence but try your best and you should be fine. Im glad i got into uni this year as i really wanted to avoid doing another year of college.......i especially didnt want to just sit them all in june. Even if you redo AS your gonna have to do that year with just june exams then your A2 year with just june exams. Avoid the extra year unless you realy think it will benifit you greatly.
Reply 7
Hey,

I did really bad in my first year too, I got the same as you, basically what I did was just resit most of my exams that I did bad in.. Which was most of them, if you're good with workload and you revise throughout the year this would be my suggestion, however, if you leave it until last minute again you will be stuffed, it worked out for me as I'm now on a BBC course (280 ucas points). This only works for certain people though so I you're good with workload, go ahead and retake in June with your A2's.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dan1001
Hey,

I did really bad in my first year too, I got the same as you, basically what I did was just resit most of my exams that I did bad in.. Which was most of them, if you're good with workload and you revise throughout the year this would be my suggestion, however, if you leave it until last minute again you will be stuffed, it worked out for me as I'm now on a BBC course (280 ucas points). This only works for certain people though so I you're good with workload, go ahead and retake in June with your A2's.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank your for your response, it really has motivated me just cause someone has done it before
Well if i actually try i am confident that i can handle workload - i dont really get stressed that easily fortunately, im just really glad to know that its actually possible :')
Reply 9
No problem :smile: just keep revising throughout the year, it will be hard but just self motivate yourself to keep going. Speak to your teachers aswell, just for some extra advice, mine really helped me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest