The Student Room Group

What do you think about Catalonia being an independent country?

I read a news article lately about Catalans planning to do the same thing as Lithuanians, or at least I think they were Lithuanians, did about 20 years ago, namely making an incredibly long "chain" of people. The Catalans want to do this from the north all the way to the south of Catalonia. Of course, this is to show they want independence. After I read the article, I wondered if it'd be possible for Catalonia to be independent. So what are your thoughts on this? Is it likely to happen? Are there any good reasons for Catalonia to become independent? What will happen if they become independent? (Maybe the Basque people will try to do the same thing? What about Galicia?)

Share your thoughts :smile:
Reply 1
I'm all for it but seems a bit pointless when they will just be amalgamated into a larger EU state in a few years anyway. Same reason I don't understand Scottish independence
Reply 2
Original post by bubbles790
I'm all for it but seems a bit pointless when they will just be amalgamated into a larger EU state in a few years anyway. Same reason I don't understand Scottish independence

In both cases it basically boils down to fiscal autonomy. Both countries believe that their larger states are spending money that is rightfully theirs and so it's less about having sovereignty over your own laws and more about being able to reap their rewards.

I believe that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts so in both cases i'd lean towards staying in union. Both countries could survive though however i'm not exactly what the strength of the Catalonia economy is beyond tourism.

At any rate it's interesting how federalism has played out in that Spain is splitting apart (Basque, Madrid and Catalonia all want independence to fairly significant degrees) while Germany is solid as a rock.
Reply 3
Well, Catalonia pays a lot of money to the Spanish state whilst the southern provinces where poverty is much more common spend more money that they gain from the Spanish state, thus Catalonia.

Also, the language and the differences in culture probably make people feel nationalistic or something. I don't know exactly.
Reply 4
If they want independence then let them have independence.

The thing that annoys me - as a Scottish unionist - is when you get Catalan independence-types telling us in Scotland we should leave the UK.
If they vote for independence in a fair referendum then I'm all for it. But it's not really our place to dictate opinions on whether they should become independent or not - it's up to them.
Original post by flugelr
If they want independence then let them have independence.

The thing that annoys me - as a Scottish unionist - is when you get Catalan independence-types telling us in Scotland we should leave the UK.

The thing is, the case is that most Catalonians may not even speak Catalan and speak modern Spanish, kind of like the Welsh assembly putting through laws that Welsh needs to be treated equal to English despite that only 500,000 of the 3,000,000 people there speak Welsh, even though that's in addition to English. It sounds like there may be some bull**** being put onto them. I suppose it could help to crack down on corruption if their state was smaller though.

Anyway, all these indy people tend to try and get in bed with who they perceive as other indy people.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
They have their own culture and ethnic identity why not?
Reply 8
Would this include the French parts of Catalonia as well?
Reply 9
Original post by Snagprophet
The thing is, the case is that most Catalonians may not even speak Catalan and speak modern Spanish, kind of like the Welsh assembly putting through laws that Welsh needs to be treated equal to English despite that only 500,000 of the 3,000,000 people there speak Welsh, even though that's in addition to English. It sounds like there may be some bull**** being put onto them. I suppose it could help to crack down on corruption if their state was smaller though.

Anyway, all these indy people tend to try and get in bed with who they perceive as other indy people.

It depends which part of Catalonia. In Barcelona and Tarragona, spanish is the main language, but in the rest of Catalonia, catalan language is widely spoken, way above spanish.
Reply 10
Original post by BradWills20
Would this include the French parts of Catalonia as well?

I think not even the hardcore catalan nationalists think about "liberating" the Rosselló province. It's solidly french.
Reply 11
Spain reminds me on Yugoslavia so yed Catalans need a referendum.
Catalunya should be independent, if it weren't for them, Spain would be completely ****ed fiscally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending