The Student Room Group

A2 subjects help..!!

hello guys..

I got my AS results as follows:
Maths A
ICT A
Physics B
Computing C

now the thing is i dont want to drop computing because i like it and i dont really like ict but i happen to be good at it..cz i just lost 2 ums in ict so overall i got 198/200. on the other hand i got 132/200 in computing.
the sensible choice would be to drop computing and carry on with other 3 but again ict isnt of much use...
i was thinking that if i really have to drop computing then i can do AS further maths with other 3 remaining subjects.
universities want the grades right? n i know an A in computing sounds superficial atleast to me..

so please please can anyone help me with it that what should i continue in A2?
i'm super confused right now..!! :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by R07
hello guys..

I got my AS results as follows:
Maths A
ICT A
Physics B
Computing C

now the thing is i dont want to drop computing because i like it and i dont really like ict but i happen to be good at it..cz i just lost 2 ums in ict so overall i got 198/200. on the other hand i got 132/200 in computing.
the sensible choice would be to drop computing and carry on with other 3 but again ict isnt of much use...
i was thinking that if i really have to drop computing then i can do AS further maths with other 3 remaining subjects.
universities want the grades right? n i know an A in computing sounds superficial atleast to me..

so please please can anyone help me with it that what should i continue in A2?
i'm super confused right now..!! :frown:

What are you planning to do at university?
Reply 2
R07
OP
software engineering
OR
maths
OR
combined degree of maths and computing
Reply 3
The sensible thing to do would be to continue with ict seen as you've only lost 2 ums (well done for that btw). If I were in your situation i would pick the ones I'd done best in, as an a at as in ict sounds a lot better than a c in computing.

However if you strongly want to continue computing why don't you consider dropping physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
R07
OP
Original post by Kcash
The sensible thing to do would be to continue with ict seen as you've only lost 2 ums (well done for that btw). If I were in your situation i would pick the ones I'd done best in, as an a at as in ict sounds a lot better than a c in computing.

However if you strongly want to continue computing why don't you consider dropping physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well i can't drop maths n physics because i'm totally in love with them... n i know that i can get a high grade in physics...but for computing its a total risk as it involves the extra tough course work :frown:

then probably it'll be better to drop it...and do AS further maths... :confused:
Reply 5
As much as you might love computing, ICT sounds like the better subject to carry on at A-level... An A grade is generally more welcomed by universities than a C grade, and it sounds like Uni is your ultimate goal.

Your plan of doing AS further maths sounds good to me :smile:
Reply 6
R07
OP
Original post by KatWreford
As much as you might love computing, ICT sounds like the better subject to carry on at A-level... An A grade is generally more welcomed by universities than a C grade, and it sounds like Uni is your ultimate goal.

Your plan of doing AS further maths sounds good to me :smile:

yeah now i'm 98% sure that i'll drop computing :smile: because 12 people told me to do so and only one person i.e my computing teacher told me not to drop it...
Reply 7
Original post by R07
well i can't drop maths n physics because i'm totally in love with them... n i know that i can get a high grade in physics...but for computing its a total risk as it involves the extra tough course work :frown:

then probably it'll be better to drop it...and do AS further maths... :confused:

Why do you feel the need to do further maths as an as? You've already got a c at as in computing and no universities require two as grades, the important thing is the 3 a levels. If you don't do further maths you can focus all your energy on those 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
R07
OP
Original post by Kcash
Why do you feel the need to do further maths as an as? You've already got a c at as in computing and no universities require two as grades, the important thing is the 3 a levels. If you don't do further maths you can focus all your energy on those 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well i want to apply for maths degree and most universities kind of prefer further maths...so just to be on safe side..
plus I LOVE MATHS <3
Reply 9
Kcash makes a good point.... I found just my 3 A2 Level subjects difficult, so take the extra AS if you want to (it will get you some more qualifications, and it sounds like you'll enjoy it) but be aware that it'll only add to an already pretty demanding year!
I hope that whatever you end up doing, you do well in and enjoy it! :smile:
Reply 10
R07
OP
Kcash makes a good point.... I found just my 3 A2 Level subjects difficult, so take the extra AS if you want to (it will get you some more qualifications, and it sounds like you'll enjoy it) but be aware that it'll only add to an already pretty demanding year!
I hope that whatever you end up doing, you do well in and enjoy it! :smile:

yeah you guys are right....it's going to be really hard...
well i think i may start doing further maths and then if i find it as an extra burden then i'll drop it.. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by R07
yeah you guys are right....it's going to be really hard...
well i think i may start doing further maths and then if i find it as an extra burden then i'll drop it.. :smile:

Sounds like a plan! Good Luck, I hope it works out! :smile:
Reply 12
R07
OP
Sounds like a plan! Good Luck, I hope it works out! :smile:

thanxxx A LOOOOTT for ur advice :smile: it was really useful :biggrin:
I can only talk from a computer science point of view here:

Most universities if not all would much prefer too do as much maths as possible! There isn't 1 university that says computing is a requirement.

As a result of this if you want to drop computing then go for it :smile:

Personally I would drop ICT aswell as it is of certainly no use to in regards of applying to computer science, with them 2 subjects dropped it would give you the opportunity to study a whole A level in further maths if you really want :smile:

Hope all this helps and goodluck with your studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
R07
OP
Original post by SuperMushroom
I can only talk from a computer science point of view here:

Most universities if not all would much prefer too do as much maths as possible! There isn't 1 university that says computing is a requirement.

As a result of this if you want to drop computing then go for it :smile:

Personally I would drop ICT aswell as it is of certainly no use to in regards of applying to computer science, with them 2 subjects dropped it would give you the opportunity to study a whole A level in further maths if you really want :smile:

Hope all this helps and goodluck with your studies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that does seem like a good idea..but u know for ICT I already have a good grade and there is a chance that I might get an A or A* in it. But if I do whole A level of further maths then it's going to be a bit risky because it'll be my only chance.

Although ICT is of no use but still the grade might help :smile: but now I've to think about dropping it :biggrin:

Thankyou for your advice :smile:
Reply 15
I can see your Computing teacher's concern for you not to drop Computing (it's not just their subject bias!); Russell group universities really don't like to see ICT being taken as one of your three main A-levels - Imperial give very sound advice on choosing qualifications for Computing generally.

However, like the other advice on the forum, your grades make it really tough for you not to take ICT and drop Computing, ABC would clearly seriously restrict you compared to getting AAB.

You should definitely do Further Maths AS if you are able to, as lots of universities encourage computing students to take it, which will make you a more competitive applicant (and it will also open up more options to study straight-maths if you decide that route - as more universities are making further AS essential for maths applicants unless your school doesn't offer it to you, and even then lots of people self-teach themselves).
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending