The Student Room Group

How do top uni's view re take students?

How do Russell Group Universities view students who retake an entire year (i.e restarting year 12/uppersixth)?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sallyware
How do Russell Group Universities view students who retake an entire year (i.e restarting year 12/uppersixth)?

Depends on the course I think, what are you looking to do?

I am considering retaking the year, with the intention to study maths. Many of the Russel Group universities do allow this, and will give me the same offer as applicants who complete A-Levels in 2 years.

I think you should email some of the universities. I think they will be accommodating, unless the course is Medicine, for example.
Reply 2

As dtwovles has said, most are fine with this. A few of us retaking our A2's back in the 2010/11 academic year emailed all the top universities and most responses were positive. The exceptions were St Andrews and Edinburgh who said they will only look at grades after 2 years and reject those who don't have them after 2 years. LSE clearly states on their website they expect candidates to achieve the grades within 2 years and UCL and Warwick both said that A-Levels not achieved within 2 years would make for an uncompetitive application unless there were extenuating circumstances (e.g. illness)

People on here & those I know who retook though including myself got offers from Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham, Nottingham, York, Lancaster, Sussex.
Reply 3
Original post by dtwolves
Depends on the course I think, what are you looking to do?

I am considering retaking the year, with the intention to study maths. Many of the Russel Group universities do allow this, and will give me the same offer as applicants who complete A-Levels in 2 years.

I think you should email some of the universities. I think they will be accommodating, unless the course is Medicine, for example.

I'm thinking of studying International Relations so it's not really a competitive course. I've rang up a few Russell Group universities said they will still offer me a place if I get the grades.
Reply 4
I'm thinking of studying International Relations so it's not really a competitive course. I've rang up a few Russell Group universities said they will still offer me a place if I get the grades.

thats what i applied for (and got offers for after retaking from leeds, birmingham uea, portsmouth and notts trent).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending