The Student Room Group

Higher Physics 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L01
Thanks for this! P.S do you think I would be awarded anything for using v=Hod for recession velocity?

NCQ25: agh-agh- don't know d?- its a Z-thing for sure.
Original post by tomctutor
NCQ25: agh-agh- don't know d?- its a Z-thing for sure.

For question 28(b)(ii) I used the formula path difference = n X lambda , and got a answer of 2.5. So I said since it is not a whole number it must be deconstructive interference . Would that be sufficient for 2 marks since it said justify by calculation , or would I lose some marks.
Original post by Adykonvict1
For question 28(b)(ii) I used the formula path difference = n X lambda , and got a answer of 2.5. So I said since it is not a whole number it must be deconstructive interference . Would that be sufficient for 2 marks since it said justify by calculation , or would I lose some marks.

Thats what I did and loads of people said that is the answer. Maybe a mark for proof of calculation and a mark for knowing because its 2.5, its destructive
Original post by Valiantly
Thats what I did and loads of people said that is the answer. Maybe a mark for proof of calculation and a mark for knowing because its 2.5, its destructive

Fingers crossed, just hoping the grade boundaries are not extremely high like 2010.
Fingers crossed, just hoping the grade boundaries are not extremely high like 2010.

I don't think it will be any higher than 73% for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds fine you got 2.5 wavelengths!

PS. You will find Higher Physics 2014 Revised and older NQ worked solutions link and paperscan on page #45 this thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NorrisChuck
For 26a) Shouldn't the graph be the other way? With current decreasing with time?

26b) Would I get a mark for saying that charge is supplied by the current?

27a)iii) Isn't your answer the rms of the oscilloscope, not the signal generator? I thought it was the rms of the voltage in the sum of the voltage for the resistance.

Hey,

For Question 27aiii. I've had the exact same thought as you hence I done what you did as well. :s-smilie: I hope to get some marks for it !
Reply 907
Hi, anybody got the solutions to the normal higher paper( not the revised one)?thanks :smile:
Original post by :D'
Hi, anybody got the solutions to the normal higher paper( not the revised one)?thanks :smile:

See post 906 a few up with links to both paper solutions!
can someone report the higher (NQ) ones not the revised, i need the question where its the oscilloscope with the trace...the other ones wont open!!! :s-smilie:
Original post by mathsisannoying
can someone report the higher (NQ) ones not the revised, i need the question where its the oscilloscope with the trace...the other ones wont open!!! :s-smilie:

NQQ29 ai. V2 pk= 6x0.2/2= 0.6V
. aii. i2rms=0.42mA
. aiii. V1rms=0.933V, V2rms=0.424V gives VSrms=1.36V

. b. Vo = gain VRS = 1x104 (0.6)=6kV> 15V supply saturation
. output signal is an inverted square wave as sketched below:
plot Vo>HP2014_Q29b_image.jpg

I have no idea where solutions for HP2014 NQ went- nothing todo with me I just done NC?:confused:

PS. You will find Higher Physics 2014 Revised and older NQ worked solutions link and paperscan on page #45 this thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
hmm im pretty sure you missed out bits in that answer heres what i done ( you skipped from ai to aiii)

ai) vpeak=sqrt2x vrms
= 0.2x3 = o,6v

aii) I=V/R ( to get peak current from peak voltage accross the 1kohm only)
I= 0.6/1.0exp^3
I= 0.0006A or 0.6mA

then put that ipeak into its version of ( ipeak = sqrt2 x irms as we now have the ipeak we can get the rms value)

0.6exp^-3= sqrt2 rms
rms= 0.6exp^-3/sqrt2
Irms= 4.2mA ( 4.2exp^-3)

aiii) since it wats the vout for the whole circuit ( signal generator) i added the 2 resistors in series to get 3300ohms
then i used v=IR to get the rms output voltage because you have the rms current to use from last question now
v=4.2exp^-3x3300
=13.86V...

and thats how i done that question, i dont know how many marks i would get out of all that, thats why i asked if someone could post the answer

WHEN I TRY AND LOAD THE ANSWERS FROM DIFFERENT PAGES IT SAYS ERROR SOMETHING MISSING.... so i need confirmation what ive done wrong/right and how many marks out of 6 i got for that.
Original post by mathsisannoying
hmm im pretty sure you missed out bits in that answer heres what i done ( you skipped from ai to aiii)

ai) vpeak=sqrt2x vrms
= 0.2x3 = o,6v _Thats the value I gave from scope trace!

aii) I=V/R ( to get peak current from peak voltage accross the 1kohm only)
I= 0.6/1.0exp^3
I= 0.0006A or 0.6mA

then put that ipeak into its version of ( ipeak = sqrt2 x irms as we now have the ipeak we can get the rms value)

0.6exp^-3= sqrt2 rms
rms= 0.6exp^-3/sqrt2
Irms= 4.2mA ( 4.2exp^-3) Wrong here 4.2x10-4?

aiii) since it wats the vout for the whole circuit ( signal generator) i added the 2 resistors in series to get 3300ohms
then i used v=IR to get the rms output voltage because you have the rms current to use from last question now
v=4.2exp^-3x3300
=13.86V... correct as per above 1.36V

and thats how i done that question, i dont know how many marks i would get out of all that, thats why i asked if someone could post the answer

WHEN I TRY AND LOAD THE ANSWERS FROM DIFFERENT PAGES IT SAYS ERROR SOMETHING MISSING.... so i need confirmation what ive done wrong/right and how many marks out of 6 i got for that.

see my corrections you lose 1 mark that's all I think!:wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tomctutor
see my corrections you lose 1 mark that's all I think!:wink:

THANKYOU... p.s, just noticed that i got the same answer as you in the exam!!! woop woop just redone that question and got that solution yesterday, thanks for the feedback!!!
Hi
I am taking the Scottish Highers this year. Does anyone know of there are course textbooks published anywhere? All I can find are Revision Notes and 'How to pass...' and so on. I did find Heinemann Maths text book.But could not find any for physics,chemistry, ICT,geography,etc. And if anyone is trying the new Cfe, Do they publish any text book at all?Cheers
Original post by elvisisback
Hi
I am taking the Scottish Highers this year. Does anyone know of there are course textbooks published anywhere? All I can find are Revision Notes and 'How to pass...' and so on. I did find Heinemann Maths text book.But could not find any for physics,chemistry, ICT,geography,etc. And if anyone is trying the new Cfe, Do they publish any text book at all?Cheers

Hi there,

There aren't any specific course textbooks for Highers per se. There are some books which different schools prefer. The Heinemann Maths book is generally used, while other subjects use a variety of books.

Last session, we used the L&L Success Guide book for Physics and an older textbook which I don't know the publisher of for chemistry.

Personally, I used the Success Guide for physics and chemistry revision and how to pass for physics but I found the notes provided from my school to be suitable for maths, computing and English.

Hope this helps in some way or another
And if anyone is trying the new Cfe, Do they publish any text book at all?Cheers

Not sure for all subjects but I know for physics at least the 'official' textbooks aren't released until about October time :\
Original post by jackamakka
Hi there,

There aren't any specific course textbooks for Highers per se. There are some books which different schools prefer. The Heinemann Maths book is generally used, while other subjects use a variety of books.

Last session, we used the L&L Success Guide book for Physics and an older textbook which I don't know the publisher of for chemistry.

Personally, I used the Success Guide for physics and chemistry revision and how to pass for physics but I found the notes provided from my school to be suitable for maths, computing and English.

Hope this helps in some way or another

Cheers Mate!
Original post by greenladybird
Not sure for all subjects but I know for physics at least the 'official' textbooks aren't released until about October time :\

Thanks for that. What's amazing is that the SQA site has very little info on the changes incorporated in the new Cfe! There's a lot of meaningless words but very little on the exact changes or curriculum.Very Poor SQA.:mad:
Thanks for that. What's amazing is that the SQA site has very little info on the changes incorporated in the new Cfe! There's a lot of meaningless words but very little on the exact changes or curriculum.Very Poor SQA.:mad:

Yeah, they've not thought it through very well. I only know that from the head of physics because he did a load of stuff for the Nat 5 Physics exam with SQA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending