The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You are joking aren't you?
Reply 2
Only if someone else picks up the bill for training.
Why didn't someone think of this sooner?
Reply 4
Original post by Hannibal Lecter
Only then can we have a more fair, just and equal society.

From lawyer to binman, everyone should earn the same average wage. This would get rid of notions of 'class' if the binman could afford the same things as the lawyer or doctor.

This is a fantastic idea and it should be implemented, hopefully a party with guts will do it one day.

What you are describing is a Marxist state. No it would not be good for society. Equality of Outcome is bad as it, rewards laziness and diminished the labour work effort. i.e Hard working people get the same wages as a lazy worker. A better system would be to have 'Equality of Opportunity' where everyone gets a fair chance and people are not reward for turning up but instead wages based on their own individual merit. That would be a fairer society than the Marxist/Communit one you desire.

Btw if u want a UK political party which endorses same wages for everyone then I would recommend any Communist Party or the SWP.:smile:
Original post by electriic_ink
Why didn't someone think of this sooner?

They did. It was called communism and it failed. Even existing communist states realised that they have to pay more to those more skilled.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Good idea I think I'll become lollypop man, only work 2 hours a day and have loads of holidays.
Reply 7
Original post by Will95206
What you are describing is a Marxist state. No it would not be good for society. Equality of Outcome is bad as it, rewards laziness and diminished the labour work effort. i.e Hard working people get the same wages as a lazy worker. A better system would be to have 'Equality of Opportunity' where everyone gets a fair chance and people are not reward for turning up but instead wages based on their own individual merit. That would be a fairer society than the Marxist/Communit one you desire.

Btw if u want a UK political party which endorses same wages for everyone then I would recommend any Communist Party or the SWP.:smile:

The problem isn't that hard working people get the same as lazy people. The problem is that hard working people become lazy people. Under communism nobody is hard working.
Reply 8
There wouldn't be much incentive for anyone to work up to higher positions, and those already in high positions will not like the fact that they are getting paid the same rate of pay to someone lower down the ladder with less responsibilities. That is the wrong angle anyway. We should be reducing the working week, but keeping wages to a level that will allow a decent standard of living. Everyone works the same amount of hours. The rate of pay will be decided upon assessment of the job. A harder job, better pay. More responsibilities, better pay. This will mean that people will still be able to climb the ladder without feeling that their life is being wasted away because they have little free time. And they will be able to get more pay as well.
look at Marxist Russia and everything that was wrong with it. you would have the same problems here. everyone earning the same wage would only encourage laziness , there would be no incentive to do the jobs that require lots of hard-work ( for example Investment Banking - where a lot of the country's money is made ) or Lawyers or Doctors...Economic Growth in the country would fall dramatically , you might find an increase in unemployment aswell.
Original post by MatureStudent36
They did. It was called communism and it failed. Even existing communist states realised that they ha to ay more to those more skilled.

I think it was sarcasm :tongue:
you can **** right off, some people deserve more than others.

From lawyer to binman, everyone should earn the same average wage. This would get rid of notions of 'class' if the binman could afford the same things as the lawyer or doctor.

This is a fantastic idea and it should be implemented, hopefully a party with guts will do it one day.

Why should a binman afford the same as a doctor or lawyer ? Doctors and Lawyers work longer hours, do much more complicated work, lead very stressful lives and provide a huge contribution to society. Them earning the same as someone who drives around shoving trash in a truck for a living would be an UNFAIR and UNEQUAL society.

Then what would be the point in becoming a lawyer or a doctor? Everybody would be bin men.

Spoiler

Reply 14
I'll be in the ice cream van earning same money as a doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I would end up with everyone fighting for the easiest job.

And besides, it would be wrong since some jobs require more knowledge, time and skill than others, That's why the salaries are higher.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
Why should a binman afford the same as a doctor or lawyer ? Doctors and Lawyers work longer hours, do much more complicated work, lead very stressful lives and provide a huge contribution to society. Them earning the same as someone who drives around shoving trash in a truck for a living would be an UNFAIR and UNEQUAL society.

Lawyers provide a huge contribution to society?! This is news to me, I suspect many would rather ditch lawyers before binmen!!
Reply 17
Original post by OedipusTheKing
Then what would be the point in becoming a lawyer or a doctor? Everybody would be bin men.

Spoiler

Even if they were paid the same I'd still rather be a lawyer than a binman! No early mornings, nice warm office and not handling rubbish all day!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Will95206

How is it fair that a labourer who works his ass off everyday has a hugely lower wage than someone who has walked into a prestigious job (because of mummy and daddy's contacts) and does the bare minimum?
Original post by qr95
I'll be in the ice cream van earning same money as a doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Security guard at an empty office block. I can sit down all day and watch TV.

Latest