The Student Room Group

Why is Michael Gove not being removed from power? He hasn't a clue...

What a baboon.

He seems to be attempting to improve education by making it worse. He seems to think it is becoming more rigorous but really he is creating an utter abomination.

Education lies within the teaching, not how hard or easy a bloody exam is or how many times they get to sit it.

Why wasn't he removed after the vote of no confidence?

Why does David C. insist on appointing people to positions that are waaayy out of their league? Why does someone with a 2:1 in history given the keys to the economy-bus?

Why was someone with a 2:1 in English and zero teaching experience given control of the education?

Is he the most incompetent politician in the history or politics? Nick Griffin would do a better job, and he is a bigot.

The teaching quality needs to be improved. A chimpanzee would realise that keeping the teaching at the same level, yet making exams harder and giving students less opportunities to pass them is a recipe for ****ing disaster.

Why are we still paying this man to educate our children when he clearly has no idea what he is doing? Why can't we strip him of the post he has abused for too long.

What a baboon.
He is vile and unrepentant, how are teachers supposed to keep up with the myriad changes he keeps proposing? Also he does look quite a lot like a fetus who has escaped, therefore I surmise that he never actually went to school and doesn't know what it entails.
He is a cabinet minister, of course he does not know what he is doing. It is the only job that requires no prerequisite qualification or proof of competence.
I wish I could jump through the computer and give you a hug.

A monkey could do this man's job better than him.
Reply 4
He's one of the few people who I've never heard anyone compliment that wasn't a Tory MP (even then, I can't think of any in particular who have)
Everybody I've come across has either never heard of him or knows he's utterly incompetent.
Personally I'm convinced he wants to leave a lasting impression as his legacy, which is why he keep proposing all these changes - he wants to be the man who saves Britain by getting the kids educated properly. While that's an admirable target, he has no idea how to do it, so just proposes changes to make it like it was in his day.
Him and Theresa May are, in my view, some of the worst cabinet members we've had in quite a while. That's taking into account Charles Clarke releasing more than a thousand foreign prisoners who should have been considered for deportation, an alarming number of these prisoners had served time for very serious crimes.
Reply 5
I'll try to defend him as this is all very one-sided. Exams have progressively got easier over the decades which means students of equal ability sitting exams ten years apart will have very different grades. For a start A* grades were only introduced in 1994. Giving everyone a false idea that they are excellent academics when they are not is not useful. There's nothing terrible about being of average academic ability especially in subjects that will have no bearing on your adult life.

Gove is trying to bring up standards. The drop in numbers getting good grades is minute so the changes can't be too harsh. Maybe how he's going about changes isn't always what most people see as the best way but he's there and we've all got to put up with what he's doing for now whether we like it or not because that's how democracy works. You get one vote then often put up with other people's choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He thought kevin's thermodynamics laws were the work of isaac newton. I bet one of those resitters wouldn't make an ignorant comment like that. For me it is really about the teaching. If a person gets soemthing right on their 100th attempt, it just means they have acheived an objective finally even though it took many trials.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
He is vile and unrepentant, how are teachers supposed to keep up with the myriad changes he keeps proposing? Also he does look quite a lot like a fetus who has escaped, therefore I surmise that he never actually went to school and doesn't know what it entails.

I know many teachers in England who actually support his policies. Generally teachers believe that education has been 'dumbed down' over the years to improve grades, but if the exams are getting easier, when you're competing on a global scale then you're not exactly improving the UKs success to compete on the global market.
Reply 8
Original post by MatureStudent36
I know many teachers in England who actually support his policies. Generally teachers believe that education has been 'dumbed down' over the years to improve grades, but if the exams are getting easier, when you're competing on a global scale then you're not exactly improving the UKs success to compete on the global market.

It is not about the changes, I for one am over the moon about the return to linear exams.

Most concerns relate to; the pace of change, the lack of consistency in his comments and ideas, the criticism of teachers that accompanies the changes, and the changes to curriculum content
Original post by TenOfThem
It is not about the changes, I for one am over the moon about the return to linear exams.

Most concerns relate to; the pace of change, the lack of consistency in his comments and ideas, the criticism of teachers that accompanies the changes, and the changes to curriculum content

I do understand the criticism from teachers about the pace of change. But I also understand the human beings do not like change and teachers are only one group of stakeholders in this debate. Business, and lets be honest, working is the next stage on from school/university has been complaining that the UKs education system is pushing out students who are poorly equipped to deal with the real world. It's left many employers scratching their head how A* students can have such poor literacy and numeracy skills. So the change has to happen, but the question is how quickly. Personally I like change to be pushed through at a quick pace. If you're going to get resistance at all stages of the change process, I'd prefer to get it all over and done as quickly as possible. Psychologically, and there are studies that have said this* that people advocating a slower pace in change tend to use it as a mechanism to stop change.

*Exploring Strategic Change- Balogun & Hope Hailey.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10

vote of no confidence though, can't be a good sign when you are trying to guess what the majority of teachers think of how good a job you are doing...
I do understand the criticism from teachers about the pace of change. But I also understand the human beings do not like change and teachers are only one group of stakeholders in this debate. Business, and lets be honest, working is the next stage on from school/university has been complaining that the UKs education system is pushing out students who are poorly equipped to deal with the real world. It's left many employers scratching their head how A* students can have such poor literacy and numeracy skills. So the change has to happen, but the question is how quickly. Personally I like change to be pushed through at a quick pace. If you're going to get resistance at all stages of the change process, I'd prefer to get it all over and done as quickly as possible. Psychologically, and there are studies that have said this* that people advocating a slower pace in change tend to use it as a mechanism to stop change.

*Exploring Strategic Change- Galogun & Hope Hailey.

Teachers are experts at change management but the pace at which Gove is implementing things leaves no room for strategic planning

He does not seem to realise that a syllabus change for GCSE or GCE requires

Planning

Training

Production of suitable materials

None of which can be done instantly

He also does not seem to realise that many schools have shifted to Stage not Age delivery and that student's do not all fit into the neat little pigeonholes that his change strategies assume

Quick Reply

Latest