The Student Room Group

What's more important - A/S Grades or Predicted Grades?

I've got my A/S grades (last week) and did much worse than I expected (my fault - I didn't revise enough - I thought it was going to be like GCSE so I became really lazy and now I regret it :s-smilie:).

My grades were - ABBB (econ, maths, chem, physics)

My predicted grades are;
Econ - A*
Maths - A*/A (depending on what my teacher gives me)
Chem - A
Physics - B

My GCSE grades are - 8.5 A*s, 1.5 As and 1 B

I want to apply to read economics at Warwick (Bristol, Bath etc)
typical entry requirements of A*AA(B)

I also want to apply to LSE (maybe not for econ 101 but accounting and finance (AAA) or management (AAB) ).

Even though I'm predicted over the entry requirements will my poor A/S performance bring my application down? :confused: OR will Uni's just look at if my predicted grades are realistic with my achieved A/S grades?

Any feedback would be appreciated
Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
AS grades

Are you really sure those predictions are feasible - bar economics and physics universities will just see your predictions as being overpredicted on everything, I was also wondering why are you taking on 4A2s if you got ABBB? (unless you really like the 4 subjects)

GCSEs are fine

They will see if they are realistic, at the moment they aren't realistic (especially the potential A* in maths?)

Economics is incredibly competitive and most degrees (actually I think all degrees) at LSE are extremely competitive - Your AS scores bring down your application a lot but if you can smash your personal statement your GCSEs & statement may provide some leeway to an offer - but don't count on it.
(edited 10 years ago)
You're GCSE's are great and won't hold you back from what I've seen. The AS grades are probably more important than predictions since Universities know they can be pushed up by begging your teacher. Not saying you did that or anything.
Reply 3
AS grades hold more weight, as admissions tutors know that the predictions set by schools can be a load of crap at times.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Robbie242
AS grades

Are you really sure those predictions are feasible - bar economics and physics universities will just see your predictions as being overpredicted on everything, I was also wondering why are you taking on 4A2s if you got ABBB? (unless you really like the 4 subjects)

GCSEs are fine

They will see if they are realistic, at the moment they aren't realistic (especially the potential A* in maths?)

Economics is incredibly competitive and most degrees (actually I think all degrees) at LSE are extremely competitive - Your AS scores bring down your application a lot but if you can smash your personal statement your GCSEs & statement may provide some leeway to an offer - but don't count on it.

Hi,

Yeah the economics and physics are realistic, I think my chemistry is realistic too because I'm on a borderline B/A UMS score and I'm pretty confident I can get an A at A2. But I agree with the maths prediction, again I'm on the borderline of A/B grade but an A* prediction is too high

I'm taking 4 because I really want to go to Warwick their offer is A*AAa for 3 A2 subjects (which I didn't achieve) or A*AAB which is for 4 A2 subjects and is my target for next year.

Ahhh I was worried about my AS grades :/ I guess I need a killer personal statement then
Reply 5
Original post by NedStark
You're GCSE's are great and won't hold you back from what I've seen. The AS grades are probably more important than predictions since Universities know they can be pushed up by begging your teacher. Not saying you did that or anything.

Original post by Pedd
AS grades hold more weight, as admissions tutors know that the predictions set by schools can be a load of crap at times.

Will my AS grades affect my application by a lot then? Especially for Warwick?
Reply 6
Original post by caveman1234
Will my AS grades affect my application by a lot then? Especially for Warwick?

They will likely take them into consideration on the same level as things like your personal statement. However, do remember that tutors are considering your full application rather than a part at a time.

Meaning that if, going by the strength of your academic profile, it's clear that you can do better, then Warwick will likely accept your predicted grades as correct. The same consideration won't, however, be given to someone with a weak overall application.

In my un-versed opinion, you should be fine as long as your personal statement etc gives out the image that you are indeed someone who can hit those A's in A2 :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
How did you get such high requirements when you say yourself that you have a poor work ethic ?
I'd assume universities would place more value on AS grades rather than predicted as they know students can influence teachers greatly to predict them grades just to get offers, rather than their realistic predictions..
Reply 9
Original post by CurlyC
How did you get such high requirements when you say yourself that you have a poor work ethic ?

Ahh that was this year! I convinced my teachers that I would work much harder at A2... and since I had strong GCSE grades as well, they agreed to those predictions.

Basically I told them I would get it together and work a lot harder
Reply 10
Original post by Pedd
They will likely take them into consideration on the same level as things like your personal statement and the like. However, do remember that tutors are considering your full application rather than a part at a time.

Meaning that if, going by the strength of your academic profile,it's clear that you can do better, then Warwick will likely accept your predicted grades as correct. The same consideration won't, however, be given to someone with a weak overall application.

In my un-versed opinion, you should be fine as long as your personal statement etc gives out the image that you are indeed someone who can hit those A's in A2 :biggrin:

Wow awesome, thank you :smile: I guess I need to really work on my personal statement now then.
Original post by caveman1234
I've got my A/S grades (last week) and did much worse than I expected (my fault - I didn't revise enough - I thought it was going to be like GCSE so I became really lazy and now I regret it :s-smilie:).

My grades were - ABBB (econ, maths, chem, physics)

My predicted grades are;
Econ - A*
Maths - A*/A (depending on what my teacher gives me)
Chem - A
Physics - B

My GCSE grades are - 8.5 A*s, 1.5 As and 1 B

I want to apply to read economics at Warwick (Bristol, Bath etc)
typical entry requirements of A*AA(B)

I also want to apply to LSE (maybe not for econ 101 but accounting and finance (AAA) or management (AAB) ).

Even though I'm predicted over the entry requirements will my poor A/S performance bring my application down? :confused: OR will Uni's just look at if my predicted grades are realistic with my achieved A/S grades?

Any feedback would be appreciated
Thank you! :smile:

Your referee will need to persuade the universities that your predicted grades are realistic, especially if you get predicted an A* for maths. Some universities can be sceptical of predicted grades that are higher than AS+1 (so for maths that woule be an A) if there are no extenuating circumstances.

If I were you, firstly, I would decide exactly what I wanted to study. It's unlikely you will get a place at LSE to do accounting if you have an economics focused personal statement.

Secondly, unless you would be ok with getting 5 rejections, don't apply to 5 places asking for A*AA. I think two A*AA, two AAA-AAB and one ABB would be a bit more realistic. It would also give you the advantage of a propper insurance choice if things didn't go according to plan next June. Whilst it is possible to improve a grade in every subject, this is not guarenteed by any means.

Have you considered dropping Physics? There is no need to take 4 full A levels, and being able to focus on your three best subjects will increase your chance of maximising your grades.

Finally, if you do get A*AA next summer, it might be possible to try for a place at a higher ranking univerisity via adjustment, or by taking a gap year and reapplying.

Quick Reply

Latest