The Student Room Group

What makes Oxbridge "special"?

I have heard from friends that:

-People are more serious about their work and into their courses, due to the rigorous admission procedure including interview (as opposed to most other unis which just admit based on grades and PS)

-You get more support from tutors etc. and feel more "at home" and welcome/valued, not just like you are another face in the crowd and invisible to professors (especially on courses like social science ones that often have low contact hours at other unis)

-The collegiate system is amazing (obviously unis like Durham have it too but not many do)

-While people party, not many mess around with their studies and there is an elitist but healthy attitude

-If you are looking to get into postgrad study at a top university overseas (say, the Ivy League) Oxbridge are the British unis to be at

Are any of these true or BS?

What do you think makes Oxbridge special?
(edited 10 years ago)
- Tutorial/supervision system
- Being part of an exceptionally, mind-blowingly intelligent cohort
- Bursaries/endowment funds
- Pretty buildings

In that order (for me personally):h:
Reply 2
I think the best bit for me is being surrounded by such interesting, exceptional people. I'm not just talking about academics as well., You'd be amazed how many people play musical instruments to orchestral standard, play sport almost professionally, have set up their own businesses, have done amazing things volunteering etc. When I came I expected everyone to just be either ridiculously nerdy or posh but this couldn't be further from the truth.
Reply 3
Original post by SHELDON123
I think the best bit for me is being surrounded by such interesting, exceptional people. I'm not just talking about academics as well., You'd be amazed how many people play musical instruments to orchestral standard, play sport almost professionally, have set up their own businesses, have done amazing things volunteering etc. When I came I expected everyone to just be either ridiculously nerdy or posh but this couldn't be further from the truth.

Is there a difference between Oxbridge students and the rest of the Russell Group, then, due to their selection procedure? (Grades alone don't indicate someone has a great personality).
if you've ever visited Oxford or Cambridge, you'll know why. very different atmosphere to most other universities, in a good way. you can almost smell the intelligence.
Original post by Collette94
Is there a difference between Oxbridge students and the rest of the Russell Group, then, due to their selection procedure? (Grades alone don't indicate someone has a great personality).

they always interview, and not all other universities do! I got ACCD at AS level and they gave me an interview. I was deemed good enough to attend, shame the general interviewer didn't like me (he was a bit of an old codger), but that goes to show that, as far as I can see, grades are subordinate if you really impress them at interview.
Reply 6
Basically what you mentioned yourself.
This is kinda going off track but.....What GCSE grades do successful Oxbridge Medical applicants usually get?
Reply 8
Original post by ismailjan3
This is kinda going off track but.....What GCSE grades do successful Oxbridge Medical applicants usually get?

Ask this in the medics section.
Original post by SHELDON123

This. I forget, sometimes, that the people around me can do some truly spectacular things when they want to - like the Chelsea-obsessed mate who is a virtuoso violinist, the friendly guy at the bar who can fix an entire wireless network that IT professionals didn't have a clue how to deal with, or the friend who also just happens to be a GB-level archer. The point is, they're all so normal and down-to earth that this kind of thing isn't intimidating, just interesting. And because everyone around you is both so good and things and so supportive of you, it inspires you to get better and try things you never knew you could. That's the best thing about it, for me - that nobody sets limits on what you can acheive, if you put your mind to it. You've already broken out of the box getting here, now the sky's the limit.
The general vibe is just amazing.

-College accommodation for 3 years
- Enthusiastic lecturers
- Great career prospects (the name opens doors)
Reply 11
Original post by Davelittle
The general vibe is just amazing.

-College accommodation for 3 years
- Enthusiastic lecturers
- Great career prospects (the name opens doors)

Depends which college you're at.
Reply 12
Original post by Collette94

The interesting thing is that they pick people purely on how clever they are and give them no credit for extra-curricular things. It just happens that the cleverest people also tend to be good at lots of other things.
Original post by eydetak
they always interview, and not all other universities do! I got ACCD at AS level and they gave me an interview. I was deemed good enough to attend, shame the general interviewer didn't like me (he was a bit of an old codger), but that goes to show that, as far as I can see, grades are subordinate if you really impress them at interview.

Wait, you got ACCD at AS and got into oxford? :lolwut:
Reply 14
Original post by AspiringGenius

I second that. Don't tell that to the straight-A-in-every-subject-they've-ever-done rejects!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP

I presumed she didn't get in, based on her post.

No, I didn't get in! Got pooled but didn't make it through that. And it was Cambridge haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I presumed she didn't get in, based on her post.

Ahhh, some common sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending