The Student Room Group

BSc Chemistry vs. MChem

I'm currently studying for a degree in Chemistry (BSc) and am starting my second year in September. I will have to make the decision soon as to whether I want to convert to the MChem or not.
I'm not sure whether to go for it as I am still considering applying for post graduate Medicine after not doing so well in my A-levels and Universities do accept BSc, however if I were to decide against this I don't know whether a BSc would be that much more beneficial in finding a job in Chemistry than an MChem would be.

Any opinions/facts you know please tell me! I NEED HELP!

Just an opinion here - I don't pretend to know everything about the courses - but I've taken a four year option to do an MChem instead of a BSc; and I'm pretty much of the same mindset as you! I want (at the moment) to go into postgraduate medicine.
However, even though most medical schools will accept a BSc (in fact I haven't heard of one that doesn't) I think having an MChem will certainly not be a bad thing!
If you have an MChem it's going to give you some more options later on if you decide that medicine isn't for you, or that you want to pursue a career in chemistry instead.
Since most courses tend only to be a year longer to result in an MChem instead of a BSc I would say the only thing you have to consider is the time and the money - but it is a good opportunity for you to do a masters.
Plus, if a lot of postgraduate med applicants have a BSc, this is where you get to show off and say you have an MChem!
Of course the choice is up to you, good luck and I'm sure you'll do fine either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending