The Student Room Group

Help! Is 5 a levels worth it? How heavy is the workload!?

Scroll to see replies

why would you do 5 a levels for optometry?? you get in to most places with AAB-ABB. I think you would be putting way too much stress and pressure on yourself
Reply 21
Original post by knope
The EPQ is nowhere near the workload of a full extra AS, so feel free to take it. You do it during the summer after AS, usually, so it doesn't increase your workload when you're busy with your other subjects. I'm finding it quite fun.

Also, I did almost exactly the same subjects as you, except my economics was just straight economics, and I'd say that although you really do have to work hard it wasn't impossible. Just do all the homework, listen + contribute in class and revise well in advance. If you have any more questions about the subjects/subject combo, I'm happy to answer more questions!

Can't I do it before my AS?:/ I think I might change my economics and business to just economics. I just picked it to try something new. Is that why you picked it?

Thanks for the tips and advice! Haha, yeah I probably will have plenty of questions to ask you throughout the next year!:P You might wanna withdraw what you said because you miiight just regret it!(;
Reply 23
Original post by CharlotteEris
you're obviously very, very clever! I would probably leave thinking about doing an EPQ until the end of lower 6, I was advised to only do it if I was applying to a university that based their applications on UCAS points (E.G. not usually a Russel Group uni) therefore, obviously for you with you're outstanding GCSE's would be pretty useless tbh, it would give you something to talk about at an interview but an EPQ seems to be a common thing and therefore wouldn't set you apart from many other people. However if you pick a subject you really enjoy for it and you have a good work ethic then I don't see the problem, and it should be really enjoyable for you

LOL! You're embarrassing me. I'm not very very clever, I just revise my butt off when it comes to exams!

Damn, you've put a whole new twist to this thread! I haven't heard of this side of 'the EPQ' but I totally understand where you're coming from. I thought Russel Group Unis love this kinda thing. Another person in this thread has also said that it didn't help their application as unis wouldn't accept it. That's NOT a position I want to be in!:/

I do have a good work ethic but I don't want this EPQ to be almost worthless!:/
Reply 24
Original post by Sophie1994Murray
why would you do 5 a levels for optometry?? you get in to most places with AAB-ABB. I think you would be putting way too much stress and pressure on yourself

Optometry is the main idea but Medicine is almost as appealing. I just know that medicine is super competitive and getting a place to do it at a top uni will be super difficult :s
Reply 25
Crap! Doing 5 AS levels at this school is compulsory T_T
Haven't applied elsewhere and dang it's a good school too T_T
Sorry guys, it's either do 5 or go elsewhere. I don't want to go elsewhere after securing a place here .
Reply 26
Sorry its too much for me to handle!
My boyfriend did 4AS levels and an A2 in year 12 and got 5 A's. So that probably will make him stand out from other applicants for medicine. But that's medicine! For the average person it's useless, even just doing 3 is enough as you can focus on getting better grades. However you sound bright with your GCSE results so 4 sounds good for you.

As for an EPQ for me it was a huge help. I did 'how much did communism influence Shostakovich's music?' (I'm applying for music btw) and I dedicated a whole paragraph to It in my Personal Statement. I talked about how I learnt how to effectively analyse and reference resources to help write a strong essay etc.
so it depends what you're applying for, if its science or maths then no it's kinda useless (except it does make you look interested but most people are...) but anything englishy I'd say yes :smile:

Hope this helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Given your GCSEs, you'll be applying to Oxbridge probably. EPQ is definitely worthwhile, and quite important in that case.
Reply 29
Original post by SelinaUchiha
Can't I do it before my AS?:/ I think I might change my economics and business to just economics. I just picked it to try something new. Is that why you picked it?

Thanks for the tips and advice! Haha, yeah I probably will have plenty of questions to ask you throughout the next year!:P You might wanna withdraw what you said because you miiight just regret it!(;

Hm, I don't think so because although the project itself doesn't take long, you need to be allocated a supervisor, talk your project through with them, and maybe attend a few sessions on how to do various aspects of the project. Bit of admin stuff, too - your project needs to be approved by the centre coordinator.

I think whether you change to straight econ should depend on whether the business aspects of the joint course look interesting to you or not (google for the syllabus of both), but that's coming from someone who has no idea how unis view them relative to each other. I'd assume that, as your fourth AS which you intend to drop, it makes very little difference - so go with the one you can see yourself enjoying, and therefore putting effort in, for a year.

I picked it because I didn't want to give up essay-based subjects just yet and because it sounded like an appealing sort of blend of logic and creativity. It also helps you make sense of news and form an informed opinion on it, so you can understand why the Chancellor is taking this step or that step. Oh, and you do have to put in the effort at the beginning of the year to get your head around it as a new subject, but after that I personally found that it didn't distract too much from my other subjects. If you get the whole 'thinking like an economist' thing then the essays aren't too difficult, even fun. Most of the content is logically deduced and so fairly easy to remember.

No problem, and I'm not regretting it yet. I'll let you know. :P
It's definitely manageable to do five in your first year. I wouldn't advise five in your second year, though - I did that, and it was more egotistically than reasonably driven, and it strained my grades a tad. I'd have been better off just doing three, perhaps four.
Reply 31
wow o.O I don't know what to say about your friend, happy that he got in but that is super sketchy o.O. I still aim for it but if I do really well in my A levels then I might even try going for Oxford or Cambridge but that seems a bit far fetched.

Idm studying, quite enjoy it. I started a month/ 6weeks earlier for GCSEs so idm putting in extra effort for AS and A2. Giving up a social life for a bit won't bother me much because it'll hopefully be worth it in the end!(:

i think I will do the EPQ however I just got an induction pack from the school i applied for and it says I'm doing Further Maths AS not EPQ! Think I'm going with the EPQ. Although I love maths, doing crap loads of units in the summer will kill me! If Jan exams were still in place then I'd have done it. AND I'd be doing Maths A2 and Further Maths AS so it would be a mess!

My current AS teacher said I'd be bored if I don't do Further Maths. You did it didn't you? How did you find it? I don't think I'll be doing it though but still good to know.

Thank You for all your help and advice btw (:

Hmm.. Well if you are not interested in maths/computer science, as in a career, then I would advice you not to pick it as 5th a-level since its incomparable to epq and is one of the hardest, if not hardest a-levels. As-level is not that bad though, it really depends which units you will do, I loved a2 further maths but as-level further maths where so-so because we only did 1 further unit, fp1 and then fp2, fp3, fp4 are a2 units. For maths lovers fp2/fp3 is a treasure box, but it can very hard to open xD

And then depends what you do, stats or mechanics or decision maths. I loved stats even though I am not going into accounting or stuff like that, it just clicked well with me and the stuff we were doing was interesting to me especially in stats2. Mechanics? Thanks god I did only 1 unit, I really hate it, not good with it, hence I didn't pick physics instead of chemistry in as-level, even though I had higher A in gcse physics than chemistry xD And if you are not interested in computer science chances are high that you will find decision maths boring, at least unit 1, because a lot of it you could do without using the algorithms/methods provided but since you get the marks for the method not final answer often you have to learn the methods. I still liked it.

But yeah like I said if you are not interested in maths related career probably shouldn't go with further maths, epq is not like that since you don't sit an exam and can do it on the topic you are interested in and on your own time.

Just to make it clear, I am not saying its impossible, since it is very possible and quite a few people did this, but its not worth it for you, you are not gonna do maths at uni and workload would be tremendous so I don't see a point for you to choose further maths.
Reply 32
Original post by knope
Hm, I don't think so because although the project itself doesn't take long, you need to be allocated a supervisor, talk your project through with them, and maybe attend a few sessions on how to do various aspects of the project. Bit of admin stuff, too - your project needs to be approved by the centre coordinator.

I think whether you change to straight econ should depend on whether the business aspects of the joint course look interesting to you or not (google for the syllabus of both), but that's coming from someone who has no idea how unis view them relative to each other. I'd assume that, as your fourth AS which you intend to drop, it makes very little difference - so go with the one you can see yourself enjoying, and therefore putting effort in, for a year.

I picked it because I didn't want to give up essay-based subjects just yet and because it sounded like an appealing sort of blend of logic and creativity. It also helps you make sense of news and form an informed opinion on it, so you can understand why the Chancellor is taking this step or that step. Oh, and you do have to put in the effort at the beginning of the year to get your head around it as a new subject, but after that I personally found that it didn't distract too much from my other subjects. If you get the whole 'thinking like an economist' thing then the essays aren't too difficult, even fun. Most of the content is logically deduced and so fairly easy to remember.

No problem, and I'm not regretting it yet. I'll let you know. :P

Hmm.. A lot of people that I asked did say that they're doing it now (which was in the summer during school in June. All A level exams finish in May don't they?)

You see, with the Economics Vs Economics and Business , Unis prefer just economics. I only chose the business with it because a lot of school don't offer the combination and I didn't want to lose the opportunity however, after research it seems that Economics is the winner. I did business at GCSE and it was okay I suppose but I do want to start something truly new.

Wait, so the exam consisted of writing an essay? A bit like and English Lit exam would you say? Or are there questions that hold little marks within the paper too?
Reply 33
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
It's definitely manageable to do five in your first year. I wouldn't advise five in your second year, though - I did that, and it was more egotistically than reasonably driven, and it strained my grades a tad. I'd have been better off just doing three, perhaps four.

Oh no! Doing 5 in the second year would kill me! I won't be doing 5 anyway. If i do do the EPQ then that'll drop be dropped because it just goes to AS and then hopefully I'd have finished Maths with a good grade so then I'll just carry on the other 3. What subjects did you do btw?
Oh no! Doing 5 in the second year would kill me! I won't be doing 5 anyway. If i do do the EPQ then that'll drop be dropped because it just goes to AS and then hopefully I'd have finished Maths with a good grade so then I'll just carry on the other 3. What subjects did you do btw?

That's wise :smile:

I did History, Maths, Economics, English Lit, and Politics
Reply 35
Hmm.. A lot of people that I asked did say that they're doing it now (which was in the summer during school in June. All A level exams finish in May don't they?)

You see, with the Economics Vs Economics and Business , Unis prefer just economics. I only chose the business with it because a lot of school don't offer the combination and I didn't want to lose the opportunity however, after research it seems that Economics is the winner. I did business at GCSE and it was okay I suppose but I do want to start something truly new.

Wait, so the exam consisted of writing an essay? A bit like and English Lit exam would you say? Or are there questions that hold little marks within the paper too?

Yes, now as in their gap between AS and A2. I thought you were referring to your gap between GCSE and AS when you said now - sorry!

They do, but the difference is marginal and even more so as you're doing it as your fourth AS alongside traditional subjects. If your business GCSE didn't particularly catch your eye then you might as well just go for econ, I agree.

For both the macro and micro papers you answer multiple essay-style questions of varying lengths, but there are also short answer questions (still a paragraph or so). A decent chunk of the micro paper is also multiple choice, but each answer requires explanation to achieve the majority of the marks available for this section. Also, the essays aren't as hard as ones for English because you can always get a very decent amount of marks from doing the relevant diagram and definitions. You can look up the papers on the Edexcel website, that'll give you the best indication of what you're getting yourself into. But I was more talking about the essays we were set as standard homework, which we were more likely to recieve than more problem-based homework.
Reply 36
Original post by knope
Yes, now as in their gap between AS and A2. I thought you were referring to your gap between GCSE and AS when you said now - sorry!

They do, but the difference is marginal and even more so as you're doing it as your fourth AS alongside traditional subjects. If your business GCSE didn't particularly catch your eye then you might as well just go for econ, I agree.

For both the macro and micro papers you answer multiple essay-style questions of varying lengths, but there are also short answer questions (still a paragraph or so). A decent chunk of the micro paper is also multiple choice, but each answer requires explanation to achieve the majority of the marks available for this section. Also, the essays aren't as hard as ones for English because you can always get a very decent amount of marks from doing the relevant diagram and definitions. You can look up the papers on the Edexcel website, that'll give you the best indication of what you're getting yourself into. But I was more talking about the essays we were set as standard homework, which we were more likely to recieve than more problem-based homework.

I'm sorry but I don't get what you mean by macro and micro. To me that's big and small or are you referring to an 'economic' term. I have heard of microeconomics and macroeconomics but have no idea what it is! Ohhh as honework. Crap, I'd totally forgot about homework!
Reply 37
I'm sorry but I don't get what you mean by macro and micro. To me that's big and small or are you referring to an 'economic' term. I have heard of microeconomics and macroeconomics but have no idea what it is! Ohhh as honework. Crap, I'd totally forgot about homework!

Ah, sorry, I did mean micro/macroeconomics. Basically, macro is the study of the whole economy (so you cover inflation, growth, recessions, etc) whereas micro is individual markets (the supply & demand of X, what affects its supply & demand, how much the price affects supply & demand). You cover these in different modules, and usually different lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest