The Student Room Group

What should I say to my "employer"

Last Saturday I started work for the first time as a waiter. After finishing working, the employer said he will get my number off of my friend and text me my next shift. However, he told my friend I wasn't active enough, and is refusing to take my number. However, on the first day, the employer just told me to look at how everyone else does their job, and he will train me the next day.

Should I go in there tomorrow and ask him if I still work with him or not?

Or what else can I or should I say to him?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
It seems really unprofessional, he should be giving you proper training, and should have taken your details/proof you are allowed to work in the UK/bank info BEFORE you started a shift, and then discussed with you personally any issues he has. The best thing you need to do is go in and discuss with him what is going on. If he doesn't want to hire you, it's his loss, because honestly it's probably a lucky escape that you aren't getting messed around more by an unprofessional employer. Make sure you chase up about getting paid too, just in case! If you get too much hassle, visit Citizen's Advice and look into taking this further.
Reply 2
Original post by rachiriot
It seems really unprofessional, he should be giving you proper training, and should have taken your details/proof you are allowed to work in the UK/bank info BEFORE you started a shift, and then discussed with you personally any issues he has. The best thing you need to do is go in and discuss with him what is going on. If he doesn't want to hire you, it's his loss, because honestly it's probably a lucky escape that you aren't getting messed around more by an unprofessional employer. Make sure you chase up about getting paid too, just in case! If you get too much hassle, visit Citizen's Advice and look into taking this further.

Very good advice! Thanks!
But what is citizens advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by iWoof
Last Saturday I started work for the first time as a waiter. After finishing working, the employer said he will get my number off of my friend and text me my next shift. However, he told my friend I wasn't active enough, and is refusing to take my number. However, on the first day, the employer just told me to look at how everyone else does their job, and he will train me the next day.

Should I go in there tomorrow and ask him if I still work with him or not?

Or what else can I or should I say to him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a similar experience a while ago.. I had a trial shift at a busy bar in town, for which the boss assured me I would get paid ("no free labour around here") - so I worked, and heard nothing, got no pay.. and then my friend tells me that actually, no I haven't got the job nor will I get paid because I was "too slow". Just two-faced and cheeky to be honest, and of course I was slow because my only bar experience is pub work, not a rammed bar/club where I've been plonked without anyone showing me where anything is. So much for training! Anyway, I didn't bother getting in touch, because if that's how they treat someone who isn't even employed, I dread to think how they treat actual staff.
Reply 4
Original post by Tigrah99
I had a similar experience a while ago.. I had a trial shift at a busy bar in town, for which the boss assured me I would get paid ("no free labour around here") - so I worked, and heard nothing, got no pay.. and then my friend tells me that actually, no I haven't got the job nor will I get paid because I was "too slow". Just two-faced and cheeky to be honest, and of course I was slow because my only bar experience is pub work, not a rammed bar/club where I've been plonked without anyone showing me where anything is. So much for training! Anyway, I didn't bother getting in touch, because if that's how they treat someone who isn't even employed, I dread to think how they treat actual staff.

Wow I have exactly the same situation lol.
And the only reason I was "slow" was because the only experience I have is retail.

Not working in some ice cream parlour. Thanks so much for your advice. It really helped me. Lol :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by iWoof
Very good advice! Thanks!
But what is citizens advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Citizens Advice Bureau

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

I hope it goes well for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending